Filmfare Awards introduced in the year 1954 is the oldest and the most coveted trophy of the Hindi Film Industry also known as Bollywood. Out of more than 20 categories and trophies presented each year, the Filmfare Best Actor Award is something that the whole industry and fans look forward to. Its also the most fiercely competed and discussed category, as those nominated for the Best Actor award are usually a combination of immense popularity and talent.
The Filmfare Best Actor records
- Dilip Kumar has been nominated 19 times and won 8 awards. The legend is also the only actor to win 3 back to back awards.
- Shahrukh Khan has been nominated 30 times (all categories) and has won the Best Actor award 8 times, a record which he shares with Dilip Kumar.
- Amitabh Bachchan has been nominated for a record 29 times but has won just 5 awards.
- Hrithik Roshan has been nominated 9 times and has won 4 trophies. Hrithik is the first and only actor to win both the Best Actor and Best Debut awards in the same year (for Kaho Na Pyaar Hai). And the first actor to win both the Best Actor critics and popular award (for Koi Mil Gaya).
- Rajesh Khanna has received 14 nominations and has won just 3.
The Top 5 received Best Actor awards for
- Dilip Kumar – Daag, Azaad, Devdas, Naya Daur, Kohinoor, Leader, Ram Aur Shyam and Shakti
- Shahrukh Khan – Baazigar, Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge, Dil To Pagal Hai, Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, Devdas, Swades, Chak De India, My Name Is Khan.
- Amitabh Bachchan – Amar Akbar Anthony, Don, Hum, Black and Paa.
- Hrithik Roshan – Kaho Naa Pyaar Hai, Koi Mil Gaya, Dhoom 2 and Jodha Akbar.
- Rajesh Khanna – Saccha Jhoota, Anand and Aavishkaar
Other Filmfare Best Actor Award Facts
- Aamir Khan has received 16 nominations but won just 2.. Aamir doesnt attend Indian award functions (except the National Award) as he feels they lack credibility and consistency.
- Salman Khan and Akshay Kumar have never won a Filmfare Best Actor Award.
Full list of Filmfare Best Actor winners 1954 – 2009
- 1954 – Dilip Kumar (Daag)
- 1955 – Bharat Bhooshan (Shri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu)
- 1956 – Dilip Kumar (Azaad)
- 1957 – Dilip Kumar (Devdas)
- 1958 – Dilip Kumar (Naya Daur)
- 1959 – Dev Anand (Kala Pani)
- 1960 – Raj Kapoor (Anari)
- 1961 – Dilip Kumar (Kohinoor)
- 1962 – Raj Kapoor (Jis Desh Men Ganga Behti Hai)
- 1963 – Ashok Kumar (Rakhi)
- 1964 – Sunil Dutt (Mujhe Jeene Do)
- 1965 – Dilip Kumar (Leader)
- 1966 – Sunil Dutt (Khandaan)
- 1967 – Dev Anand (Guide)
- 1968 – Dilip Kumar (Ram Aur Shyam)
- 1969 – Shammi Kapoor (Brahmachari)
- 1970 – Ashok Kumar (Ashirwad)
- 1971 – Rajesh Khanna (Sacha Jhutha)
- 1972 – Rajesh Khanna (Anand)
- 1973 – Manoj Kumar (Be-Imaan)
- 1974 – Rishi Kapoor (Bobby)
- 1975 – Rajesh Khanna (Aavishkar)
- 1976 – Sanjeev Kumar (Aandhi)
- 1977 – Sanjeev Kumar (Arjun Pandit)
- 1978 – Amitabh Bachchan (Amar Akbar Anthony)
- 1979 – Amitabh Bachchan (Don)
- 1980 – Amol Palekar (Golmaal)
- 1981 – Naseeruddin Shah (Aakrosh)
- 1982 – Naseeruddin Shah (Chakra)
- 1983 – Dilip Kumar (Shakti)
- 1984 – Naseeruddin Shah (Masoom)
- 1985 – Anupam Kher (Saaransh)
- 1986 – Kamal Haasan (Saagar)
- 1987 – Due to security reasons, the awards ceremony was not held.
- 1988 – Due to security reasons, the awards ceremony was not held.
- 1989 – Anil Kapoor (Tezaab)
- 1990 – Jackie Shroff (Parinda)
- 1991 – Sunny Deol (Ghayal)
- 1992 – Amitabh Bachchan (Hum)
- 1993 – Anil Kapoor (Beta)
- 1994 – Shah Rukh Khan (Baazigar)
- 1995 – Nana Patekar (Krantiveer)
- 1996 – Shah Rukh Khan (Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge)
- 1997 – Aamir Khan (Raja Hindustani)
- 1998 – Shah Rukh Khan (Dil To Pagal Hai)
- 1999 – Shah Rukh Khan (Kuch Kuch Hota Hai)
- 2000 – Sunjay Dutt (Vaastav)
- 2001 – Hrithik Roshan (Kaho Naa Pyar Hai)
- 2002 – Aamir Khan (Lagaan)
- 2003 – Shahrukh Khan (Devdas)
- 2004 – Hrithik Roshan (Koi Mil Gaya)
- 2005 – Shahrukh Khan (Swades)
- 2006 – Amitabh Bachchan (Black)
- 2007 – Hrithik Roshan (Dhoom 2)
- 2008 – Shahrukh Khan (Chak De India)
- 2009 – Hrithik Roshan (Jodha Akbar)
- 2010 – Amitabh Bachchan (Paa)
- 2011 – Shahrukh Khan (My Name Is Khan)
- 2012 – Ranbir Kapoor (Rockstar)
Something for you to comment on
- Any actor that you feel didnt deserve the Best Actor award for his performance in a film? (See the full list above)
- Do you think Filmfare has been unfair to the likes of Salman Khan, Aamir Khan, Akshay Kumar or any particluar actor?
- Since 2000, the Best Actor awards have surrounded around Shahrukh Khan (3) and Hrithik Roshan (4), are they truly the best actors today?
- Do you think Filmfare is ignoring great performances in smaller and less popular films? Like Naseeruddin Shah for A Wednesday, Rajeev Khandelwal for Aamir in 2009?
- Should Filmfare ditch the current system of 50% Jury and 50% audience votes; and give more importance to critical acclaim than popularity / mass appeal of a film / performance / actor?
i think hrithik roshan will be receiving filmfare award cause he is the best and hard working actor in bollywood
Hi guies,i think that all the awards was given to shahrukh khan was right.i am nt saying that all the actor are bd no!but if u see that who is the best actor?ur answer wil be the shahrukh and my answer is also that srk is the best actor becoz srk is nt jealous by any other actos.what hapned when srk and salman copmete at box office for best actor award and shahrukh won the best actor award so just one time just thnk that any actor can do actng like srk just thnk about ok if u r saying that amir and salman are the best actor then tel me that these two actor can do the acting like srk in my name is khan,kuci kuch hota hai,kbi kushi kbi ghm,devdas,veer zara,mohbbtein,koyla,bazighar and the one anjaam.ur answer wil no.my answer is totaly no.shahrukh u r the best actor of bollywood and he is the king who is ruling and no bitch like salman and amir can stop him.tel me that why srk is given awards for best actor?why srk is called king of bollywood?why srk films are the best love stories than other actor has?just thnk and than pas ur comment ok.u r just lier bt truth is truth.shahrukh u r the best no one can be like u ok.koi kuch kahe kyun ke ye tm s jalte hein ke in ka actor kyun nein hit hota us ko awards kyun nein milte lekhen shahrukh tm to ho sb s ache the king of the world mein tmhein dunya ka sb s acha actor samjta houn.god by king khan the best all time hit.
if in industry any is deserving the best actor awards i.e, Shahrukh khan, Hrithik roshan, Ajay devgan, the others are wastages. They speak big big things on ON Screen infront of there fans. nothing else if other actors are telling that srk pays money to get awards. so why other actors are not ready to pay why they don’t have that much money or something like that. last conclusion bolna bada aasan hai “Angoor nahi milte toh khattay lagte hai”……….
Super Star Rajesh Khanna’s performances in Amar Prem, Kati Patang, Avtar, Souten and many more movies were very classic than any other actor.
RAJESH KHANNA – THE GREATEST LIVING LEGEND AND THE REAL & ONLY SUPER STAR OF INDIAN CINEMA TILL DATE.
SUPER STAR RAJESH KHANNA – An actor par excellence:
I may highlight some inner capabilities of the FIRST SUPER STAR OF INDIA as a most refined actor, rather, an actor par excellence, which I have experienced for the last four decades through his outstanding performances. These are in addition to his classic facial expressions which emerge effortlessly on his face and the style and arrogance brought by him on the silver screen. The rigorous use of his voice to communicate a character’s lines and express emotion, which he achieved through attention to diction and projection through correct breathing and articulation. It has also achieved by him through the tone and emphasis that an real actor puts on words. Characterization/Physicalisation of a role in order to create a believable character for the audience and to use the acting space appropriately and correctly. Use of gesture to complement the voice, interact with other actors and to bring emphasis to the words in a play, as well as having symbolic meaning.
ctors which have been overlooked every time.
filmfare i dont like becuse every time he chet with giveing award
see oscar is good national is good
i agree with filmfare award but i think in the year of2000 the award should have be given to amir khan for ‘RANG DE BASANTI’ as ‘DJ’ not to hritik. This is really very shocked that ajay devgan still not get any award for any movie and he was not nominated for ‘DILJALE’ and ‘DILWALE’ and this is also very shocking that amir was not nominated for ‘FANNA’ as ‘RIHAN’
nice article but poor comments. some saying SRK shud return his awards, he pays to filmfare bla bla… bhai award wapis to nahi par srk ko 3 awards aur milne chahie. 1 for kabhi haan kabhi na, 1 for mohabate, 1 for kal ho na ho.
hrithik is the best……….
please include 2010 results
Really nice of Indicine to get us this summary.
I also enjoyed reading varied comments by the members. Its really strange that people are quick to claim that the awards won by SRK have been bought by him yet in the past decade it does seem that Hrithik has won more awards thatn SRk. Does that mean Hrithik outbid him or something? You cant claim that the same awards were deserved for everyone else but SRK. Whenever he wins he has to have bought the award (Seems like most people acceed to his chakde award). What most people forget is if they don’t like an actor or that they dont like the acting of the said actor does not apply to everyone else. SRK has the highest number of International Blockbusters and atleast 7 among the top ten international grossers. Tell me if Filmfare should ignore international bollywood audience and just stick with the movigoers in India only?
-> SALMAN ,AMIR and AKSHAY dont need you to show there success..the revenew generated by their film is an answer.
-> Yes you ignore small film and actors in front of SRK ,,,Hritik,,,,AB Sr etc..dont you feel Mr.Naseeruddin Shah..deserved award then SRK..although SRK was good but still..not better then Mr.SHah..
->If u says it 50:50 the how come SALMAN never won any award.when his filim do better then other and collect huge money..etc..
srk all deserve, his awards are not 7 its 8. becaues lats year(2011) he wins it for “my name is khan”.
and his films are more but awards are less, because he deserve the award on “Kal Ho Na Ho” but award goes to koi mill gia. its not right. sk deserve award on “Main Hoon Na” but not. srk deserve award on “Chahaat” but not. srk deserve on “Kabhi Khushi Kabhi khum” but not. srk deserve on “Mohabtain” but not.
All of u tell me that it is fair that no award goes to the legendry actor ” Raj Kumar ” , it is not baised? tell me the jury of filmfare is this right?
Why do paki people always sound abnoxious and defending? Low self esteem? Sharukh khan sucks! Look at Don 2. He looks so timid and out of sync on his dialogues. He doesn’t have the acting abilities for a lead role. He was good in the past for the lovy dovy movies but the public is fed up those movies. Shahrukh is gone now and should gracefully exit.
i think amitabh bachchans performance in khakee akhri raasta deewar zanjeer sholay khuda gawah should must have win award …but he won 3 national awards shahrukh has no one aamir was more deserving for rangeela than shahrukh …and big b has 28 times nomination for best actor which is a record ..and 9 nominations for supporting role which is also a record …..and this year irfan khan for paan singh tomar or manoj vajpeyee for gangs of wasseypur must win best actor award …irfan ,manoj ,kk these are better actors than srk
Selman kan is best actear amir kan beast hai frinds im Musthafa
Well I think Amitabh bachan deserved best actor for deewar(1975) and also for Khabie Khabie (1976) also in 1981 he had the best movies of the year so many classics like laawaris,Yaraana etc and should of got best actor for Yaarana, Should have won beat actor for sharaabi. Anil kapoor should of won best actor for Meri Jung(1985) Sanjay dutt should of got best actor for Naam in 1986 if awards were to be held and Anil kapoor should of won best actor for Mr India or Jackie Shroff for kaash In 1987 if awards were held. 1988 Anil kapoor won it for Tezaab which was fantastic but I still think Vinod Khanna’s acting was the best of that year for Dayavan. 1989 Jackie won for parinda which was brill, 1990 sunny deol won it for Ghayal which was great or Anil kapoor could of won it for awaargi. In 1991 Amit Jee won best actor for Hum which I think really Sanjay should of win for saajan. Anil in 1992 instead of winning it for beta he’s acting and to me the film zindagi ek jua was better so that’s why I feel he should of got it for that. 1993 was a very tough year and srk won it for baazigar where I felt instead sanjay should of won it for khal nayak as his acting was better. 1994 instead of nana in krantiveer I felt sanjay should of won it for Aatish or Anil for 1942 love story.1995 Srk ddlj all the way 1996 Sunny deol should of won best actor Ghatak def deserved it, 1997 how did srk get best actor for dtph when Govinda for deewana mastana or Anil in Virasat both great performances. 2001 again a tough year Sunny deol should of won it for gadar.2002 should of been ajay devgans year for either bhagarlt Singh or company not srk for devdas.2008 Aamir khan should of won it for Ghajni and 2011 srk should of won it for don2 how did he not win over rockstar what boring film and rambhir isn’t a great actor and I hope srk wins 2012 for jab tak hai jaan or akshay Kumar for rowdy rathore ????
hrithik doesn’t deserve his best actor awards for kaho na pyar hai and dhoom 2
definitely stardom dominates here rather than truth…
2000 sarforsh for aamir khan deserved it hyping hritik gud for hritik to get best debut not best actor..2004 for salman undoubtdely for terenaam hritik got for hollywood copycat…koi mil gaya…
what a joke, ajay devgan has not won a single time, and they say they honour the best performances, didnt he deserve it for zakham or the legend of bhagat singh atleast, forget OUATIM or Singham…
saif in omkara is much better performance th hritik in dhoom2…wat performed in dhoom-2 wearin stylsih clothes luks good thts all credit goes action director for krissh.dhoo-2 thts not acting at all..
Ranbir kapoor has won critics and popular filmfare award for Rockstar also!!!
hav u seen peter parker gettin awards for best actor spiderman!….krissh gettin best actor awrd for hritik awards really sucks…naaser,dilip r actors hritik,ranbir r nothin but media products….rockstar for best actor! Horrible judgement….
ajay devgan is far superior actor than hritik and Ranveer is much better than Ranbir..
losers , keep yelling !! hrithik deserved all his awards !! he deserved fr guzaarish n agneepath bt post 2009, evry awards functions seems nt credible !! u cn argue abt shahrukh though ! ajay devgn is ofc a vry talented actor, no one denies it ! shahrukh is a gud actor too bt 1 or 2 awards of him cn b argued wid aamir’s rangeela ! u cnt say hrithik bought award fr kaho naa pyaar hai in 2000, dat year he won all d debut n besst actor awards at all functions , he got alld luv frm d audience, evry1 lyked him including u all, he was barely a newcomer wid 0 influence on industry ppl, still frm his vry 1st film, he got all d awards n he performing btr n btr wid each film ! hrithik,aamir,srk,irrfan,naseer,manoj,ajay etc r all talented actors, salman,akshay etc r massy entertainers ! simple !
SRK is the first actor to win both critics & popular actor in 1994….BAAZIGAR ( popular) and KABHI HA KABHI NAA ( critics)………admin, u said hrithik is first actor but checked the websites,u can easily clear this…
I think Filmfare should’ve given awards to likes of Paresh Rawal, Anupam Kher, Naseeruddin Shah and Om Puri also. They failed to strike balance. Award should only be for acting and not just box office or for big stars alone.
Aamir is just a sulk pot for banning awards. Amitabh also sometimes got a raw deal but never banned them. Aamir has currently banned National Awards too after he failed to win for TZP. He’s actually got more awards than he deserved. He didn’t complain when Filmfare invented a new category just to honour him for QSQT. But got crazy when he didn’t get award for Rangeela? Hypocrite! He’s got award for worst performance like Raja Hindustani!
Aamir deserved it for Rangela , 3 idiots , RDB and JJWS . But look at the history and it says it all the First true blue superstar of Indian cinema Rajesh Khanna won only 3 best actor so Aamir has 2 of them and 1 best actor critic so that makes it 3. Salman deserved it for Dabangg but Filmfare thinks differently i dont know whats critical and box office acclaim for them is. Popularity can only be gauged by box office revenue (So salman deserves it ) whereas critical performances category Hrithik/Siddque/Ranbir can fight for. Salman is most popular today and Aamir the best actor ever.