Note: This article was first published on March 10 2009.
Filmfare Best Actress Awards, over the years, has been awarded to the extremely talented and beautiful leading ladies of the Hindi Film Industry, who entertained and ruled millions of hearts with their onscreen grace and histrionics.
Although the industry currently lacks a complete performer – looks, dancing skills, grace, acting talent, superstardom – of the 90s like say of a Madhuri Dixit or a Sridevi.. There is some serious talent that is coming through. Established stars like Katrina Kaif, Vidya Balan, Priyanka Chopra and Kareena Kapoor are ruling the roost, while veterans like Kajol and Rani Mukherjee are still capable of delivering award worthy performances. The likes of Asin, Deepika Padukone, Anushka Sharma, Parineeti Chopra and others are the stars to look out to in the future.are potential superstars of the future.
As we look forward to a more competition in this particular category, here’s the list of the Filmfare Best Actress record holders!
- The legendary Nutun occupies the top spot with 5 Filmfare black ladies. Seema (1957), Sujata (1960), Bandini (1964), Milan (1968).
- Its a tie at the second spot with 3 legendary leading ladies each with 4 Filmfare awards. Meena Kumari for Baiju Bawra (1954), Parineeta (1955), Aarti (1963), Kaajal (1966).
- Madhuri Dixit for Dil (1991), Beta (1993), Hum Aapke Hain Kaun (1995), Dil To Pagal Hai (1998).
- Kajol for Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge (1996), Kuch Kuch Hota Hai (1999), Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham (2002), Fanaa (2007) and My Name Is Khan (2011).
- Only 4 female stars have won the Filmfare trophy for two years in a succession. Meena Kumari in 1954 -1955, Jaya Bachchan in 1974 -1975, Shabana Azmi in 1984 -1985 and Rani Mukherjee in 2005 – 2006.
- Rani Mukherjee is the only actress to win both Best Actress Popular and Critics for her role in Black.
- Aishwarya Rai Bachchan has been received 8 nominations but has won just 2 awards (Hum DIl De Chuke Sanam and Devdas) Interestingly both under the director Sanjay Leela Bhansali.
- Rani Mukherji has been nominated 7 times and again won just twice.
- Madhuri Dixit has been nominated 14 times, won 4.
- Kajol has a better success ratio winning 5 out of 10 nominations.
- Only once has the Filmfare Best actress award been shared by two leading ladies, in 1974, between Dimple Kapadia (Bobby) and Jaya Bachchan (Abhimaan).
Filmfare Best Actress Winners – Full List
- 2013 – Will be announced later today!
- 2012 – Vidya Balan (The Dirty Picture)
- 2011 – Kajol (My Name Is Khan)
- 2010 – Vidya Balan (Paa)
- 2009 – Priyanka Chopra (Fashion)
- 2008 – Kareena Kapoor (Jab We Met)
- 2007 – Kajol (Fanaa)
- 2006 – Rani Mukherjee (Black)
- 2005 – Rani Mukherjee (Hum Tum)
- 2004 – Preity Zinta (Kal Ho Naa Ho)
- 2003 – Aishwarya Rai (Devdas)
- 2002 – Kajol (Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham)
- 2001 – Karishma Kapoor (Fiza)
- 2000 – Aishwarya Rai (Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam)
- 1999 – Kajol (Kuch Kuch Hota Hai)
- 1998 – Madhuri Dixit (Dil To Pagal Hai)
- 1997 – Karisma Kapoor (Raja Hindustani)
- 1996 – Kajol (Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge)
- 1995 – Madhuri Dixit (Hum Aapke Hain Kaun)
- 1994 – Juhi Chawla (Hum Hain Rahi Pyaar Ke)
- 1993 – Madhuri Dixit (Beta)
- 1992 – Sridevi (Lamhe)
- 1991 – Madhuri Dixit (Dil)
- 1990 – Sridevi (Chaalbaaz)
- 1989 – Rekha (Khoon Bhari Maang)
- 1988 – Filmfare Awards were not held due to security issues
- 1987 – Filmfare Awards were not held due to security issues
- 1986 – Dimple Kapadia (Saagar)
- 1985 – Shabana Azmi (Bhavna)
- 1984 – Shabana Azmi (Arth)
- 1983 – Padmini Kolhapure (Prem Rog)
- 1982 – Smita Patil (Chakra)
- 1981 – Rekha (Khoobsurat)
- 1980 – Jaya Bachchan (Naukar)
- 1979 – Nutan (Main Tulsi Tere Aangan Ki)
- 1978 – Shabana Azmi (Swami)
- 1977 – Rakhee (Tapasya)
- 1976 – Lakshmi (Julie)
- 1975 – Jaya Bachchan (Kora Kagaz)
- 1974 – Dimple Kapadia (Bobby) and Jaya Bachchan (Abhimaan)
- 1973 – Hema Malini (Seeta Aur Geeta)
- 1972 – Asha Parekh (Kati Patang)
- 1971 – Mumtaz (Khilona)
- 1970 – Sharmila Tagore (Aradhana)
- 1969 – Waheeda Rehman (Neel Kamal)
- 1968 – Nutan (Milan)
- 1967 – Waheeda Rehman (Guide)
- 1966 – Meena Kumari (Kaajal)
- 1965 – Vyjayantimala (Sangam)
- 1964 – Nutan (Bandini)
- 1963 – Meena Kumari (Aarti)
- 1962 – Vyjayantimala (Ganga Jamuna)
- 1961 – Bina Rai (Ghunghat)
- 1960 – Nutan (Sujata)
- 1959 – Vyjayantimala (Madhumati)
- 1958 – Nargis (Mother India)
- 1957 – Nutan (Seema)
- 1956 – Kamini Kaushal (Biraj Bahu)
- 1955 – Meena Kumari (Parineeta)
- 1954 – Meena Kumari (Baiju Bawra)
Filmfare Best Actress Nominations since year 1990
- Sridevi (Chalbaaz)
- Bhagyashree (Maine Pyar Kiya)
- Madhuri Dixit (Prem Pratigya)
- Sridevi (Chandni)
- Vijayashanti (Eeshwar)
- Madhuri Dixit (Dil)
- Hema Malini (Rihaee)
- Juhi Chawla (Pratibandh)
- Meenakshi Seshadri (Jurm)
- Sridevi (Lamhe)
- Dimple Kapadia (Lekin)
- Madhuri Dixit (Saajan)
- Rekha (Phool Bane Angarey)
- Zeba Bakhtiyar (Henna)
- Madhuri Dixit (Beta)
- Juhi Chawla (Bol Radha Bol)
- Sridevi (Khuda Gawah)
- Juhi Chawla (Hum Hain Rahi Pyar Ke)
- Dimple Kapadia (Rudaali)
- Madhuri Dixit (Khalnayak)
- Meenakshi Seshadri (Damini)
- Sridevi (Gumraah)
- Madhuri Dixit (Hum Aapke Hai Koun)
- Kajol (Yeh Dillagi)
- Madhuri Dixit (Anjaam)
- Manisha Koirala (1942 – A Love Story)
- Sridevi (Laadla)
- Tabu (Virasat)
- Kajol (Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge)
- Madhuri Dixit (Raja)
- Madhuri Dixit (Yaraana)
- Manisha Koirala (Akele Hum Akele Tum)
- Urmila Matondkar (Rangeela)
- No Nominations award was presented to Karisma Kapoor (Raja Hindustani)
- Madhuri Dixit (Dil To Pagal Hai)
- Juhi Chawla (Yes Boss)
- Mahima Choudhary (Pardes)
- Sridevi (Judaai)
- Tabu (Virasat)
- Kajol (Kuch Kuch Hota Hai)
- Kajol (Dushman)
- Kajol (Pyar To Hona Hi Tha)
- Manisha Koirala (Dil Se)
- Urmila Matondkar (Satya)
- Karisma Kapoor (Fiza)
- Aishwarya Rai (Hamara Dil Aapke Paas Hai)
- Madhuri Dixit (Pukar)
- Preity Zinta (Kya Kehna)
- Tabu (Astitva)
- Karisma Kapoor (Fiza) – winner
- Aishwarya Rai (Hamara Dil Aapke Paas Hai)
- Madhuri Dixit (Pukar)
- Preity Zinta (Kya Kehna)
- Tabu (Astitva
- Kajol (Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham) – winner
- Amisha Patel (Gadar)
- Kareena Kapoor (Asoka)
- Karisma Kapoor (Zubeidaa)
- Tabu (Chandni Bar)
- Aishwarya Rai (Devdas) – winner
- Amisha Patel (Humraaz)
- Bipasha Basu (Raaz)
- Karisma Kapoor (Shakti – The Power)
- Rani Mukherjee (Saathiya)
- Preity Zinta (Kal Ho Naa Ho) – winner
- Bhumika Chawla (Tere Naam)
- Hema Malini (Baghban)
- Rani Mukherjee (Chalte Chalte)
- Urmila Matondkar (Bhoot)
- Rani Mukherjee (Hum Tum) – winner
- Aishwarya Rai (Raincoat)
- Preity Zinta (Veer Zaara)
- Shilpa Shetty (Phir Milenge)
- Urmila Matondkar (Ek Hasina Thi)
- Rani Mukherjee (Black) – winner
- Preity Zinta (Salaam Namaste)
- Rani Mukherjee (Bunty Aur Babli)
- Sharmila Tagore (Viruddh)
- Vidya Balan (Parineeta)
- Kajol (Fanaa) – winner
- Aishwarya Rai (Dhoom 2)
- Bipasha Basu (Corporate)
- Kareena Kapoor (Omkara)
- Rani Mukherjee (Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna)
- Kareena Kapoor (Jab We Met) – winner
- Aishwarya Rai (Guru)
- Deepika Padukone (Om Shanti Om)
- Madhuri Dixit (Aaja Nachle)
- Rani Mukherjee (Laaga Chunari Mein Daag)
- Vidya Balan (Bhool Bhulaiyaa)
- Aishwarya Rai (Jodhaa Akbar)
- Anushka Sharma (Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi)
- Asin (Ghajini)
- Kajol (U Me Aur Hum)
- Priyanka Chopra (Fashion) – winner
- Vidya Balan – Paa as Vidya
- Deepika Padukone – Love Aaj Kal as Meera Pandit
- Kareena Kapoor – 3 Idiots as Pia Sahastrabuddhe
- Kareena Kapoor – Kurbaan as Avantika Ahuja/Khan
- Katrina Kaif – New York as Maya
- Priyanka Chopra – Kaminey as Sweety Shekhar Bhope
- Kajol – My Name Is Khan as Mandira Khan
- Aishwarya Rai – Guzaarish as Sofia D’Souza
- Anushka Sharma – Band Baaja Baaraat as Shruti Kakkar
- Kareena Kapoor – Golmaal 3 as Daboo
- Vidya Balan – Ishqiya as Krishna Verma
- Vidya Balan – The Dirty Picture as Reshma/Silk
- Katrina Kaif – Mere Brother Ki Dulhan as Dimple Dixit
- Mahie Gill – Saheb, Biwi Aur Gangster as Madhavi
- Priyanka Chopra – 7 Khoon Maaf as Susanna Anna-Marie Johannes
- Vidya Balan – No One Killed Jessica as Sabrina Lal
- Deepika Padukone – Cocktail as Veronica Malaney
- Kareena Kapoor – Heroine as Mahi Arora
- Parineeti Chopra – Ishaqzaade as Zoya Qureshi
- Priyanka Chopra – Barfi! as Jhilmil Chatterjee
- Sridevi – English Vinglish as Shashi Godbole
- Vidya Balan – Kahaani as Vidya Bagchi
- We have listed all the nominations from the year 1990, do you think any leading lady deserved the Best Actress more than the eventual winner of the award?
- Do you see any potential superstar in the making? Asin (Ghajini), Genelia (Jaane Tu), Parineeti Chopra (Ishaqzaade)???
- Can the likes of Preity Zinta, Madhuri Dixit- make a successful comeback?
Where is Rani? she is not making any public appearances since Abhishek’s marriage.or acting in many movies. we missed her at the filmfare awards. we hope to see many more excellent performances from her.
priyanka did not deserve the award for fashion. she did absolutely nothing in the film to warrant the best actress award. this is laughable nonsense.
neither did kajol deserve the award for fanaa. nothing exceptional.
Thank you Indicine Team for publishing the list of Best Actress winners as you had promised.
Aah… this list of yours has brought very many memories so kindly allow me to digress for a bit. Our actresses of the past were beautiful in the true sense of the word. Definitely, they were not figure-conscious like the girls of today, but they were real, almost-celestial beauties. And the emotions and expressions which passed across their faces were truly impressive. I am not very enamoured of our present day actresses. They have perfect figures but their beauty appears faded and jaded. Not a single girl, be it Aishwarya or be it Rani or be it Kareena can compare in beauty, grace and style and above all, acting prowess to Meena Kumari, Sadhna, Waheeda Rehman, Sharmila, Vijayantimala, Madhubala, Nargis…oh, the list is endless! And given the first opportunity, girls of today just rush to the nearest cosmetic surgeon, with often hideous results. After Madhuri Dixit, the beauty curve and the acting curve amongst women has gone sharply down. Anyway, as I said, I digress, but thank you Indicine Team for allowing such delicious memories to resurface.
Ofcourse, there has been some unfairness in this category over the years. The following should have found a place on this list of winners:
1. Madhubala – Mughal E Azam
2. Sadhna – Love in Simla/Mera Saaya
3. Mumtaz – Roti/Aaina
4. Sharmila Tagore – Amar Prem
5. Hema Malini – Sholay/ Meera/ Kudrat/ Johnny Mera Naam
6. Rekha – Umrao Jaan/ Ek Hi Bhool
7. [Late]Smita Patil – Aakhir Kyon?
I feel Jaya Bachchan did not deserve the award for Kora Kagaz. The film was dull and so was her acting. Similarly, I do not agree with how unfair Filmfare has been to Hema Malini. Not only was she outstandingly beautiful (she is even today), but as an actor she was extremely talented and versitile. I dont think anybody till today can enact the role of Basanti in Sholay as Hemaji did. She was also an accomplished dancer and could portray comedy as well as serious drama very well. Boo to Fimlfare for having this particular performer only once on their list!
I cannot comment much about the films of the 80s, although I am surprised that Umrao Jaan and Aakhir Kyon are conspicuously missing, as well as Bhagyashree for Maine Pyar Kiya. If Dimple could get Best Actress for Bobby which was her first film, then why could Bhagyashree not get the award for her beautiful work in Maine Pyar Kiya?
Coming to the 90s, my heart is sad that Madhuri was overlooked for Sajan in which she gave a poignant performance. I also do not agree with her award for Dil To Pagal Hai. She was not that great in that film. The other contenders were better especially Tabu for Virasat or Shridevi for Judaai. Once again, the influence of Yash Raj prevailed here and that is just not fair!
In this new millennium, Filmfare has been very unfair to Tabu, relegating her to Critics Awards mostly. Her performances in Chandni Bar and Cheeni Kum should have been recognised with the award for Best Actress. And Tabu not winning for Astitva was really painful. She was exceptional.
Vidya Balan’s entry into Bollywood has been like a breath of fresh air but as usual she has been undermined by Filmfare. She should have been recognised for her outstanding performance in Bhool Bhulaiya. She was, in my opinion, better than Kareena Kapoor in Jab We Met. Also, she should have received nominations for Lage Raho Munna Bhai and Kismat Konnection. Please give Vidya due consideration. She is full, brimming, with talent and promise.
The biggest unfairness occured this year. This year nobody can touch Aishwarya’s performance as Jodha. Priyanka, in Fashion, was not as good as Aishwarya in Jodha Akbar. But our awards are never based on merit alone, are they? If they were, then Madhuri’s come-back role in Aaja Naachle would have been recognised.
The above is my take on our female entertainers. I hope many will agree with my analysis. Do let me know if you do, and also if you dont. We are all here to learn from each other. If you dont, do give good reasons why you dont so that we can all gain from this knowledge.
Allow me to sign off now ….
woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow i cant believ you people still think about rani
in 2009 priyanka chopra got filmfare award for best actress not aishwarya rai.. plz check at the end..
I feel sad for Sridevi who PROBABLY missed 2 filmfare awards for Nagina ( 1986 ) and Mr. India (1987) because the awards were not held in 87 and 88. She lost to herself for Chandni in 1990. I feel Filmfare has been unfair to Sridevi. She was brilliant in Khuda Gawah, Gumraah, Laadla, Judaai in 90s. She was great in Sadma but then she had to compete with the greatest actress ever-Shabana Azmi who had 3 nominationns in 1984, a record in itself and so I won’t comment. RC, you think Madhuri should have got best actress award for Saajan instead of Sridevi for Lamhe?
The biggest disappointment was in 1993-94, meenakshi shesadri deserved the award for best actress in Damini. But the award was given to Juhi chawla. Look at meenakshi’s performance in Damini. It was superb and she had lot of expressions to portray.
Please guys… Priyanka won each and every award dis year.. how can u say she dint deserve award..
The hardwork Priyanka put behind Fashion was so much!!.. She literally went to the depth of understanding her career’s most difficult role.. Meghna Mathur.. She put on 5 kgs just for a few scenes in the movie..
Jodha Akbar was a Hrithik’s film.. and he got an award for it..
Okay.. see in dis manner.. can you imagine any other actress in Jodha AKbar in Aishwarya’s place who would suit the character graph n sketch.. Yes, You can.. Rani Mukerjee is one name.. Juhi Chawla and Preity Zinta being the other.. Infact allthe charming ladies who have given their thrones to the younger lot of actresses can do that role with finesse.. But replacing Priyanka in fashion is difficult.. If you think of Bipasha.. you think of Mugda Godse’s role.. You take Kareena in your mind.. you think of Kangana’s role… Newbees like Katrina and Deepika could’nt have handled the role… they lack expression..Priyanka did complete justice to her role.. I’m not denying Aishwarya didnt do justice but still.. I find Priyanka’s hardwork and talent which came out in Fashion was worth all the appreciation, applause and awards she got for it..
Bothe the roles had very much to put in.. But if you weigh them.. You find Priyanka putting her very 100% taking both kinds of risks…personally n professionally..
Personally because she gained weight… and professionally because she couldve lost everything she has now…if she dint take the risk..
O ne should appreciate the amount of hardwork, time and efforts Priyanka made for Fashon… rather than humilliating her… Ashutosh Gowarikar’s comments on her own actress of “What’s your Raashee??” were miserable.. any actor dont expects their own directors to say that kind of things in public for them…
I think that rani just did not deserve a award for hum tum(2005) it was the same old bollywood story with no brilliant performance,rani is good but instead it should have gone to shilpa shetty,phir milenge was a diff movie and her performance was just too good…..wat ever
Well, I don’t believe in these fake filmfare awards. It’s just a bullshit coz they have always been unfair to my all time favourite actress, the legend, JUHI CHAWLA. She deserves the best actress award for Saajan Ka Ghar, Daraar, Yes Boss, QSQT but she never won. She deserved at least a crityic award for My Brother Nikhil and Teen Deewarain was she was not even nominated. I just hate Filmfare and wish they have been fair. I love you Juhi and you are my No 1 actress.
Sridevi should’ve won for Lamhe. she deseved that award also, I think she should ve won for Laadla, Gumrah and judaai even khuda gawah she wass execellent.
Yasir, Sridevi won it for LAMHE. But obviously she missed out her definite awards for 1986 (NAGINA) and 1987 (MR. INDIA)..and for JUDAAI in 1997. She was the most unluckiest with regards to awards. In spite of this, SHE IS THE MOST VERSATILE AND COMPLETE ACTRESS THAT BOLLYWOOD HAS EVER SEEN.. Absolute delight to watch on big screen.
They dont make someone like her again! Noone there can match up to her.. As Salman recently said, “Unke upar to koi HAI HI NAHI”..
thnx 2 u indicine..& i want 2 tel rani totaly deserves every award til she won…
prity doesnt deserve for kal ho na ho,urmila deserves for bhoot
kareene doesnt deserve for jab we met,vidya deserves for bhulbhulaiyya
karishmas performance in shakti was powerful than aishwaryas in devdas
Urmila deserved award for Bhoot, I dunno how come Priety won for kal ho na ho. That was the dumbest award ever. Urmila’s performance was so fierce in bhoot.
i believe it’s difficult to compare dese actors because all of them have their own body of work. Comparision is only made if more dan one actors are given d same role to perform. Still as audience we put across our perception. And i totally agree to d fact dat awards r nt d right way to chronicle d efforts. Moreover, vry powerful performances have been ignored. I don’t think an actor like kajol deserved an award for fanaa n also madhuri for dil to pagal hai. And how can sridevi be ignored? She has been d most complete performer till date. Not only does she act well or dance wonderfully, she romances with d camera. Her comedy, her moves, her expressions, her sex appeal. She surpasses her own self with every film. I personally believe she should have won it for gumraah, mr. India n judaai.
Actually i m totally disagree with the filmfare awards, i think the talented all round performer like Hema Malini has to got many best actress awards.
RANI DESERVED AN AWARD FOR KABHI ALVIDAA NA KEHNA AND DIL BOLE HADIPPA
RANI MUKHERJEE did a well done job in chalte chalte kabhi alvida na kehna dil bole hadippa and also in laaga chunari mein daag?SHE SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN AWARDS FOR THESE
mr D GENERATION X thatwas arude comment about rani…….she deserved that award………and it was not dumb………it was the coolest movie of the year……..maybe you are just jeoulous of her.she is the best…..now watch your steps……we are crazy fans of rani..can do anything for her
i think MADHURI deserved the best actress award in the year 1988 for Tezaab .
I think Meenakshi should have won for Damini n Tabu for Virasat
In 2005 preity is best actress for veer zaara..in that year rani for hum tum its a shame and mindless award…
filmfare award usually take place in yash chopra studio so is their award if not i don’t think anushka will win best supporting.pls watch rani in talaash that’s when u will realise she deserves to win it more than even vidya in kahaani.
This list is wrong. There was no nomination of Tabu for Chandini Bar. That was the biggest joke of Filmfare, and guess who won that year, SRK’s favourite – Kajol.
My comments are not being published since the last few days. Can indicine explain this. I have never spammed or give any bad comments or said ill about any posters. It seems my IP is being deliberately targeted.
@JC, all your comments have been published. Check these links
All the winners deserved their awards but the nominations are not serious at all. For example, Kareena for Golmaal 3 (WTF?!??) or Aishwarya for Guzarish or Madhuri for Aaja Nachle or Priyanka for 7 Khoon Maaf or Kareena for Heroine… That’s not serious at all!
sridevi has been awarded best actress for both nagina and mr india this in filmfare award after they made up for the past mistakes.
I think this list is correct the queen kajol woun six awards and this a history of bollywood because after marriage only kajol is only a best actress who won three filmfare awards after married. She is real queen. I love her
I think there is a sharp biasness in filmfare both best actor &actress award. Though I am a big fan of srk but he is not eligible to win 8 filmfare award…where exceptional,educative,and social changing perfirmar amir won only twice. And why kajol won filmfare for khsbi kushi kabi ghum,or fanna……?she is not perfect to win any single award…she has no beauti, charming dance performance. Only for srk biasness she won the 5 awards…it is totally fake…rather madhuri,sridevi,tabu and juhi should be given more awards…. Specially sridevi and to madhuri who were the most perfect actress in Bollywood forever….who are now getting nominations in an age of around fifty……on the other hand depika,kajol….choice of srk very heinous to me…..they are just boring and vomiting creating actress…..madhuru and sridevi are all the best for unlimited period….