Filmfare Awards introduced in the year 1954 is the oldest and the most coveted trophy of the Hindi Film Industry also known as Bollywood. Out of more than 20 categories and trophies presented each year, the Filmfare Best Actor Award is something that the whole industry and fans look forward to. Its also the most fiercely competed and discussed category, as those nominated for the Best Actor award are usually a combination of immense popularity and talent.
The Filmfare Best Actor records
- Dilip Kumar has been nominated 19 times and won 8 awards. The legend is also the only actor to win 3 back to back awards.
- Shahrukh Khan has been nominated 30 times (all categories) and has won the Best Actor award 8 times, a record which he shares with Dilip Kumar.
- Amitabh Bachchan has been nominated for a record 29 times but has won just 5 awards.
- Hrithik Roshan has been nominated 9 times and has won 4 trophies. Hrithik is the first and only actor to win both the Best Actor and Best Debut awards in the same year (for Kaho Na Pyaar Hai). And the first actor to win both the Best Actor critics and popular award (for Koi Mil Gaya).
- Rajesh Khanna has received 14 nominations and has won just 3.
The Top 5 received Best Actor awards for
- Dilip Kumar – Daag, Azaad, Devdas, Naya Daur, Kohinoor, Leader, Ram Aur Shyam and Shakti
- Shahrukh Khan – Baazigar, Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge, Dil To Pagal Hai, Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, Devdas, Swades, Chak De India, My Name Is Khan.
- Amitabh Bachchan – Amar Akbar Anthony, Don, Hum, Black and Paa.
- Hrithik Roshan – Kaho Naa Pyaar Hai, Koi Mil Gaya, Dhoom 2 and Jodha Akbar.
- Rajesh Khanna – Saccha Jhoota, Anand and Aavishkaar
Other Filmfare Best Actor Award Facts
- Aamir Khan has received 16 nominations but won just 2.. Aamir doesnt attend Indian award functions (except the National Award) as he feels they lack credibility and consistency.
- Salman Khan and Akshay Kumar have never won a Filmfare Best Actor Award.
Full list of Filmfare Best Actor winners 1954 – 2009
- 1954 – Dilip Kumar (Daag)
- 1955 – Bharat Bhooshan (Shri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu)
- 1956 – Dilip Kumar (Azaad)
- 1957 – Dilip Kumar (Devdas)
- 1958 – Dilip Kumar (Naya Daur)
- 1959 – Dev Anand (Kala Pani)
- 1960 – Raj Kapoor (Anari)
- 1961 – Dilip Kumar (Kohinoor)
- 1962 – Raj Kapoor (Jis Desh Men Ganga Behti Hai)
- 1963 – Ashok Kumar (Rakhi)
- 1964 – Sunil Dutt (Mujhe Jeene Do)
- 1965 – Dilip Kumar (Leader)
- 1966 – Sunil Dutt (Khandaan)
- 1967 – Dev Anand (Guide)
- 1968 – Dilip Kumar (Ram Aur Shyam)
- 1969 – Shammi Kapoor (Brahmachari)
- 1970 – Ashok Kumar (Ashirwad)
- 1971 – Rajesh Khanna (Sacha Jhutha)
- 1972 – Rajesh Khanna (Anand)
- 1973 – Manoj Kumar (Be-Imaan)
- 1974 – Rishi Kapoor (Bobby)
- 1975 – Rajesh Khanna (Aavishkar)
- 1976 – Sanjeev Kumar (Aandhi)
- 1977 – Sanjeev Kumar (Arjun Pandit)
- 1978 – Amitabh Bachchan (Amar Akbar Anthony)
- 1979 – Amitabh Bachchan (Don)
- 1980 – Amol Palekar (Golmaal)
- 1981 – Naseeruddin Shah (Aakrosh)
- 1982 – Naseeruddin Shah (Chakra)
- 1983 – Dilip Kumar (Shakti)
- 1984 – Naseeruddin Shah (Masoom)
- 1985 – Anupam Kher (Saaransh)
- 1986 – Kamal Haasan (Saagar)
- 1987 – Due to security reasons, the awards ceremony was not held.
- 1988 – Due to security reasons, the awards ceremony was not held.
- 1989 – Anil Kapoor (Tezaab)
- 1990 – Jackie Shroff (Parinda)
- 1991 – Sunny Deol (Ghayal)
- 1992 – Amitabh Bachchan (Hum)
- 1993 – Anil Kapoor (Beta)
- 1994 – Shah Rukh Khan (Baazigar)
- 1995 – Nana Patekar (Krantiveer)
- 1996 – Shah Rukh Khan (Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge)
- 1997 – Aamir Khan (Raja Hindustani)
- 1998 – Shah Rukh Khan (Dil To Pagal Hai)
- 1999 – Shah Rukh Khan (Kuch Kuch Hota Hai)
- 2000 – Sunjay Dutt (Vaastav)
- 2001 – Hrithik Roshan (Kaho Naa Pyar Hai)
- 2002 – Aamir Khan (Lagaan)
- 2003 – Shahrukh Khan (Devdas)
- 2004 – Hrithik Roshan (Koi Mil Gaya)
- 2005 – Shahrukh Khan (Swades)
- 2006 – Amitabh Bachchan (Black)
- 2007 – Hrithik Roshan (Dhoom 2)
- 2008 – Shahrukh Khan (Chak De India)
- 2009 – Hrithik Roshan (Jodha Akbar)
- 2010 – Amitabh Bachchan (Paa)
- 2011 – Shahrukh Khan (My Name Is Khan)
- 2012 – Ranbir Kapoor (Rockstar)
Something for you to comment on
- Any actor that you feel didnt deserve the Best Actor award for his performance in a film? (See the full list above)
- Do you think Filmfare has been unfair to the likes of Salman Khan, Aamir Khan, Akshay Kumar or any particluar actor?
- Since 2000, the Best Actor awards have surrounded around Shahrukh Khan (3) and Hrithik Roshan (4), are they truly the best actors today?
- Do you think Filmfare is ignoring great performances in smaller and less popular films? Like Naseeruddin Shah for A Wednesday, Rajeev Khandelwal for Aamir in 2009?
- Should Filmfare ditch the current system of 50% Jury and 50% audience votes; and give more importance to critical acclaim than popularity / mass appeal of a film / performance / actor?
Actually Big B owned the year 1990 with his powerful performance as Vijay Deenanath Chauhan in Agneepath more than Jackie Shroff for Parinda . Though Big B got National Best Actor Award for Agneepath film he clearly deserved Filmfare Best Actor Award too in my opinion . Everything , his acting , dialogue delivery , emotional expressions , body language was rocking and awesome .
SRK and hrithik is the best actor of Bollywood….I love both of them….SRK AND HRITHIK ARE VERY HUMBLE IN REAL LIFE ALTHOUGH THEY ARE BIG ACTORS…….They are best of all….I love mujhse dosti karoge although it is nt famous movie and kabhi alvida naa kehna…..both are my ever favourite films….. Continue doing well in all the movies…SRK AND HRITHIK ROSHAN….LOVE U BOTH
2012..ranbir kappor really.?? acc.to me it should b someone from gangs of waseypur.! 1st – nawazzudin saddiqui.
I would like to bring up the year 1980. Vinod Khanna’s Quarbani released that year. He was absolutely best in that movie. The award went to Amol Palekar for Golmaal. This is a joke. I do not think anybody was more deserving than VK. I know Amol Palekar was excellent in Golmaal but he was not in the leag of Vinod Khanna, as a matter of fact, no actor was that year.
I would say it was very unfair to VK.
Dilip Kumar once used slang language to our INDIAN CINEMA GOD LATA MANGESKAR.
Like Lata jee himself told in one interview taken by Mr Javed Akhtar that Dilip Kr said to about her during her initial carrier that dal-bhat ki boo aati hai like that.
So,its not good or not accept at all by any INDIAN. Dilip kr should apologised to Lata jee,but he did not yet.
Infact filmfare it has immense respect than any other because of its long running but i do feel that its basic techniques they use for evaluating for best actor award is unfair and they give the awards for their preferances but not for the best performances of that year.
For example dilip kumar amitabh bachan they deserve but i don’t believe srk for 8 awards its just overrated actor maybe those team support or are fan of him.
I believe other actors deserve an awards like aamir khan what he done in taare sameen bar, pk, ghajini, mann, akele hum akele tum. Also salman khan for Tere naam, hum dilde chuke sanam, dabangg. Ajay devgn for zakhm. Akshay kumar for janwar. Uctually i surprised how unfair they choosing the award.
Let’s see how they choose the best actor award for 2016. And we all aware of the beautiful performance salman khan did in Bajrangi bhaijaan. Let’s see.
2016 for SRK
Dharmendra wasn’t considered for filmfare even after bagging films like Satyakam, Phool Aur Patthar, Chupke Chupke, Sholay, etc. This is really a mystery.
amir deserve the award for rangeela, jo jita wohi shikandar, dil, akele hum akele tum, earth 1947, sarfarosh, fanna, 3 idiots, pk
In My opinion for Akshay kumar
Singh Is King
Dosti: Freinds Forevor
Should Win Some of one or more for win
i cant understand why bollywood any awards not win more then 2 or three stars by decade.
Only Great Actor in current bollywood
For Best Acting…
His Dialog Delivary, emotion and acting skill are great
Shah Ruck Khan is the best actor in the world.
Coming from sheer trash to reach such unprecedented height ,it’s simple extraordinary.
I don’t know about the rest of the actors but according to reality, SRK deserves all the awards in the world.
If he used to buy awards , where did he get the money? Stupid people should seriously ponder over it as in the early 90s he was not very rich. In fact. he was paid meager sum of money in his early career .
It’s simply jealousy of so called actors like Aamir Khan or Salman Khan, both two rich spoilt brats that has generated rumors about The King’s reputation.
Whether you like it or not, Shah Ruck Khan was, is and will forever be the most talented actor in the whole galaxy.
Cheers fans of other not so talented actors! I can understand your frustration and jealousy if I were at your place.
Established as the most iconic and celebrated actor on both the national and international platform, Shah Ruck Khan will continue to rule over the cinematic sphere forever !!!
Aamir Khan is thrash personified in its most ungraceful parasite-like manner!!!
He is nothing else than a rich spoilt brat whose social network brought him in the limelight. He buillt his career due to Uditís jee voice, Juhiís beauty. Madhuriís ethereal acting and charisma in Dil , restablished his career with Karisma Kapoor in 1996, the sole year of the 90s which lacked seriously competition for the Best Actor Catergory and later reminded the mass of his pathetic existence with Faanaa with the Queen of Bollywood, Kajol.
If despite all this, he is tagged to be the Best , then tomorrow I am on my way to be the very best in Bollywood.
Do not worry! I understand your frustration.
Talent can be explained through people who come from trash and then reach the highest peak of success with solely their hard work and nothing else. Examples include:
Shah Ruck Khan
To conclude, he does not get awards because he is not enough talented and can only survive by doing experimental roles to attract Criticsís attention.
Bollywood is mainly about Romance, Comedy or Action.
And yet, Mr UnPerfectionist always fails miserably in all the categories !
So cheers! And yes please continue to remain Aamirís fan as he does not have many!
And this applies to all actors with loads of social network and no talent like:
Imran ( Disgust in his blood)
I would like to raise something of vital importance. It is a fact that the 90s was the most competitive era of Bollywood.
Awards may be fixed, there are speculations but the audience cannot be bought.
I mean we cannot force someone to pay for a ticket and watch our film.
Letís forget about awards and letís focus on audience response.
In the 90s, the majority of best films, according to both audienceís response and critics belong either to Kajol, Madhuri or Shah Ruck Khan.
All of their films were either at number one or number two positions.
92s- Beta and Deewana ( Entry of the Dhak- Dhak girl and the King )
93s- Khalnayak, Baazigar and Daar
95s- DDLJ ( The entrance of the most quintessential couple and duo ) Raj and Simran ,Karan Arjun and Raja
96s- Ironically, it was the sole year where these three legends did not release a major hit and so the untalented Aamir Khan created a superficial storm with the help of Karisma Kapoor who is pretty good.
97s- DTPL, Pardes ,Ishq, Gupt and Koyla
98s- KKHH, PTHHT, PKTDK .Kajol of its peak. The sole year in Bollywood when an actress had all her three releases at the Top Three.
99s- Baadshah was marked as one of the finest comedy film mixed with action.
2000s- Mohabbatein, Josh, and Pukar
At the end of the day, Madhuri, Kajol and Shah Ruck are the very essence of what Bollywood represents and are the paragons and pillars of this industry.
(The sole reason why no director or producer ever released a film with these three legends in one film together is because the other actors and actresses who cannot surpass their individual talent would have to retire and sing Maar Daala!!!
These three epitome are different manifestations of perfection and the proof search on any page Top 5 actor or actress of Bollywood ever and you will always find these three pure names!!!
We love this trio!!!
Srk deserve more than 100 Filmfare ,devdas surely deserves the award
Abhishekh Bachchan in Guru, Akshaye Khanna in Gandi my father are the most deserving one. Its sad they lost it to the less deserving one.
Amitabh bachchan in Shakti was actually more intense and captivating compare to dilip kumar in the same movie. Amitabh displays more varied emotions and looks real, he looks his part but at the same time dilip kumar looks one dimensional. What makes me compliment him is probably his part was not as layered as that of amitabh, his role of duty comes 1st highly ethical police officer looks no where to find these days yet he nailed it to the conviction. But again for me amitabh was superior. Thx.
Hmmm.what a world look how india flop their own ever super star(DHARMENDRA)DHARAM JI would have w0n dis award 20 times.cos he gat successful movie than any india actor till date.why did d award skipt in year 87?after Dharam ji hav drop over 8hit movies in a single year.DHARAM IS M0ST P0PPULAR INDIA STAR IN AFRICA
phul aur pathar
seeta aur geeta
mera g0n mera desh
dharam n veer.
in 80s Dharam have givs many Classic like,
katilon ki katil
agg hi agg
watan ke rekwale
Happy Eidil kabir guys!we Nigeria l0ve hindi movies But Pa Dharmendra is the f0undati0n to that.SALLAM
dharam ji is the best star india movie industry ever produce.
Best Actor Filmfare Award 2017 me Akshay Kumar Ko milna Chahiye
Salman khan must desreved national award and filfare best actor award for Phir milenge