My Name Is Khan has opened to a huge response in India, but SRK fans expecting the film to beat the opening weekend collections of 3 Idiots, would be disappointed.
The film opened to a great response on Friday, but lost close to 2 – 3 crores due to a limited release in Maharastra and few others cities. Saturday saw an unexpected drop at single screens and again lost close to 1 crore in Maharastra. On Sunday, with a release all over, the collections were upto full potential, falling just short of beating the 13.5 crore nett of 3 Idiots.
As promised, here is the weekend comparison between My Name Is Khan, Ghajini, 3 Idiots and Veer.
|My Name Is Khan||Veer||3 Idiots||Ghajini|
|Day 1||8 crores||7 crores||12.5 crores||10 crores|
|Day 2||9.5 crores||6 crores||11.5 crores||9 crores|
|Day 3||12 crores||7.5 crores||13.5 crores||10.5 crores|
|Total||29.5 crores||20.5 crores||37.5 crores||29.5 crores|
- 3 Idiots (Aamir Khan) – Way ahead in India at the moment.
- My Name Is Khan (Shahrukh Khan) – Suffered due to drop at single screens.
- Ghajini (Aamir Khan) – Released more than a year ago and is likely to hold on strongly to the No 2 spot for Week 1 collections.
- Veer (Salman Khan) – Suffered due to poor business at multiplexes.
Few points to be noted
- My Name Is Khan lost around 3 -4 crores on Friday and Saturday. Otherwise, the weekend collections would have been around 33 crores.
- 3 Idiots weekend would exceed 40 crores if paid previews (2.5 crores) on Thursday is included.
- My Name Is Khan was strong at single screens on Friday, but dropped on Saturday.