By Archit Mishra (Tweets @architmishra_06)
This September, Nikhil Advani will have 2 successive releases just within the span of a week, competing with each other in the form of ‘Hero’ and ‘Katti Batti’. We thought it’s a good time to have a look into Advani’s past work/ accomplishments and analyze the prospects of his upcoming ventures.
Nikhil started his career as an Assistant Director to elite directors such as Sudhir Mishra (Is Raat Ki Subah Nahin), Karan Johar (Kuch Kuch Hota Hai and Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham) and Aditya Chopra (Mohabattein). His debut film as Director, Kal Ho Na Ho, was produced by Karan Johar’s Dharma Productions. The film did well at the box office, but all releases that followed have failed to make impact.
- Emotional Connect: Nikhil has ample abilities in handling emotional side of human nature. It was quite evident with the maturity he handled dramatic scenes in Kal Ho Naa Ho and Patiala House.
- An Ear For Music: Irrespective of the box office fate, most of his films left a mark with good music. All of his directorial ventures so far had music by Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy and Katti Batti will follow the suit. Quite surprisingly, Hero will be his first movie not associated with the Music director trio.
- Critical Acclaim: He was also fortunate enough to be in the good books of the critics. Of his directorial endeavors, Kal Ho Na Ho and D-Day won the best acclaim. Both the films earned ‘winner/ nomination’ titles in multiple categories at reputed Award ceremonies.
- Foreign Appeal: Another skill Nikhil possesses is catering to the taste of NRI audience. Whether it was Kal Ho Na Ho, Patiala House or even Salaam-E-Ishq, he ably shot scenes in exotic foreign locations and portrayed some stories of Indians living abroad.
His biggest weakness is one of the most crucial aspects of film making, the almighty Box Office. After making a Hit directorial debut with Kal Ho Naa Ho, Nikhil has had a string of Disasters and Flops behind him. Interestingly, though he has worked with 3 superstars of Bollywood (Shahrukh Khan, Salman Khan and Akshay Kumar), success has come only with Shahrukh.
Box Office Performance as Director
|Year of Release||GENRE||NET COLLECTIONS (In Crores)||VERDICT|
|Kal Ho Naa Ho||2003||Romance, Drama||35||Hit|
|Chandni Chowk to China||2009||Comedy, Action||31||Flop|
Advani commands a decent experience in Production as well since he has co-produced Jaane Kahan Se Aayi Hai and D-Day. Currently he owns a production house with the name, Emmay Entertainment Private Limited. The company was behind D-Day and is now co-producing Katti-Batti, Hero and Airlift in partnership with reputed production houses like UTV, Salman Khan Films and T-Series respectively.
Hero vs Katti Batti
- Banner: If Katti Batti (releasing on 18th Sep 2015) has a big banner like UTV associated with it, Hero (releasing on 11th Sep 2015) too has Eros International (Distribution) on its side. Not to mention, Salman Khan’s backing.
- Advantages: The biggest USP of Katti Batti is that it’s the first major release of Kangana Ranaut after the blockbuster triumph of Tanu Weds Manu Returns (Here, we take your permission to assume that I Love New Year was just a nightmare and not reality). Kangana is at an all-time career high with the success of Queen and TWMR behind her. On the other hand, though Hero shall be the launch pad of two star kids, Sooraj Pancholi and Athiya Shetty, it is none other than Salman Khan himself who has got eye balls rolling in favour of Hero, as he is involved in multiple departments of this film, be it production, creativity or music. Moreover, Hero is a remake of the 1983 classic with the same name, which was directed by Subhash Ghai and Jackie Shroff and Meenakshi Sheshadri achieved stardom with that film.
- Music flavour: Both the films have good light hearted music which majorly aims at the youth. Hero has couple of potential chartbusters in the form of ‘Main Hoon Hero Tera’, ‘Dance Ke Legend’ and ‘Yadaan Teriyaan’. Similarly, ‘Sarfira’ and ‘Lip-To-Lip’ lead from Katti Batti’s album.
- Multiplex vs Single Screen Appeal: By the looks, Katti Batti seems to be the quintessential Rom-Com that can score on the strength of multiplexes. Contrary, Hero will have an edge at Single Screens as it has got action as its back drop in the romantic tale.
In a career spanning over a decade, Nikhil Advani has juggled it up with diverse genres – Romance, Comedy, Drama, Animation and Thriller. In the process, he has earned good commendation for himself but the ticket window hasn’t been as merciful. He is one of the most capable directors in the industry who still needs to prove his mettle at the box-office and there can’t be a better time for that. After a long gap, he is returning to his forte, Romance, with these two upcoming films. They say that life doesn’t give a second chance. Well, this September has in its store, not one, but two opulent opportunities for the director. The big question is – Will Nikhil be able to break his Box Office jinx? We wish him the best!
Tell us, which of these two Nikhil Advani films you would like to give a watch this September?
Message from the author: A big thank you to all Indicine readers for the fabulous response to the ‘STAR POWER’ article. I am currently working on the second part of the article, making a few changes based on the feedback that readers have given to the first part. It should be published this weekend. Meanwhile, you can read some of the article that I had written for Indicine about 2 years ago. Any article suggestions are welcome, do tell me what you would like to read in the comments section! You can also ping me on Twitter @architmishra_06
- STAR POWER: What is Super Stardom? (Part 1)
- Action superstar Akshay Kumar and the Khiladi series
- Best Bollywood Villains All Time: TOP 5
- Deepika Padukone Hit Movies: Is she in the Top 3?
- Indian Box Office Model – Explained in detail
- Bhatt Films: Box office Analysis
- Top 5 Actors 2012: Box Office Report Card
- Biggest Bollywood Grossers of 2012: Top 15 Analysis
- Shahrukh Khan Career Analysis 1992 – 2001 (Part 1)
- Shahrukh Khan Box Office Recap: Part 2 (2002 – 2011)
I have voted for none..Both the movies have non actors like Sooraj pancholi and Imran Khan,so both should be avg. grossers at the best..Also Welcome Back is still going strong!
@ I am AKN : Remembered Trimurti ??? Jackie, Anil, Subhash Ghai + Mukul Anand collaboration !!!!!! Still kya ukaad liya ?? Lol !!!!!!
@I am SRKian : Remember Swades ?? Ashu Gowariker Hit with Aamir (Lagaan) & Hrithik (Jodha Akbar) and Flop with haklu buddha SRK !!!!!
Too much funn !!!!!!!!
KHNH is my all time favorite movie.It still brings tears in my eyes whenever I watch the scene where Srk confesses his love to Naina
@Hrithik HUHUHU oh really?? But SWADESH is much better than Remake king’s any CRAP MOVIES. and KHNH was hit only for KING KHAN. @INDICINE I have voted none of these two movies. I think both will be average type movie.
@challa couldnt agree more
i wasnt aware he has directed these movies too
khnh was brilliant..salameishq was not that bad.d day was again superb and so was delhi safari
patiala house was good too..havnt seen cc2c.but from his movies i think he has gone wrong only once wid cc2c(and that too because most say so..havnt seen the movie)..else he is a great director
now expecting some good work from nikhil…In SHa Allah his boxoffice fate will change with both movies being successfull
KHNH was a hit because of King Khan and KJo co-directing the film… D-Day was excellent and Patiala House was a good family film.
SI and CCTC were horrible films and deserved to flop !
Anyways, waiting for Katti Batti because of queen Kangna… Hero shouldn’t be supported by a superstar as it stars a criminal. #BoycottPancholi
and u forgot to mention multistarer ho na ho was from dharma production lol
Admit it, SrK dies of too much overacting in KHNH.
@MR. Huhuhu (Iam SRkian) : You seems to be a Suniel Shetty fan who did a movie named ‘Hu Tu Tu’ !!!!!!!!! Lol
Dont talk about which movie is good or crap when the point of discussion is about verdicts. In that case, D-Day is much better movie than KHNH and Nikhil’s best work !!!!!!!!!!!! Accept karega ??
@Hrithik REMEMBER??? HUHUHU Yes I remember the clash of DON VS JANEMAAN and CDI VS LEGENDARY MARIGOLD!! REMAKE KING ROXX??? BTW SWADES WAS SRK’S ONE OF THE BEST PERFORMANCE WISE MOVIE. AND HE GOT BEST FF ACTOR AWARD FOR THIS. ONLY MEGASTAR SRK RULESS…..
His first film was his crappest to date- pure comatose affair…! Yawnafest garbage
Fav scene of KHNH was the interval- hall emptied quicker than the time Complan Boy gave an english language lecture at Tihar prison…!
KATTI BATTI has Kangana but Hero has Salmans backing
Producer of Katti Batti is strong but Hero has Salman as producer
Music of Katti Batti is good but Hero has song by Salman
Katti Batti is multiplex film but hero is single screen as it has action and producer is a mass hero
On a serious note, I would like you to make an article about 5 flops of each superstar that were good movie and should have succeeded. For example, Swades for SRK and reasons why, Awarapan for Emraan hashmi and reasons why,etc.
Katti batti superhit
Katti batti im weting film
@I am Srkian : Grow up kiddo this is not 2006 or 2007 this 2015 !!!!!! Keep living in past n be happy as your haklu has nothing to brag about in PRESENT !!!!!!!!!
@Hrithik : and your decades disaster idols Chotu/Motu couldn’t break Trimurti opening record even after 7-8 + years.. struggled, Struggled, but failed.. was broken by SRK’s own K3G in 2001.
and Salaam-E-Ishq , Jaan-E-Mann, London Dreams, Heroes countless more remember??
and Remember SRK’s Don solo vs Salwoman’s Multistarrer J-E-M ? Don Hit.. J-E-M FLOP. Lol!
@Hrithik : Farhan Akhtar also worked with Mega star SRK (Don & Don 2).. Super star Hrithik (Lakshya) & tiny star Aamiri Kaun ( DCH) & failure with all & the success has come only with SRK that too twice just like Nikhil who worked with SRK, Salman & Akki & failure with all except SRK.
As well as Farhan Akhtar’s 1st Film with amiri Kaun – FLOP & nikhil-advani’s 1st film with SRK : HIT.
& Farhan delivered HIT by HIT while working with SRK after delivering flop with amiri Kaun & same like Nikhil delivered Hit with SRK but then delivered flop by flop after working with Salman. LMAO!
Nikhil-advani can deliver a successful films again after KHNH if he wants but for that he has to go far from all decades disaster actors like Chotu/Motu otherwise there is no chance for any other hit .
@Rohitnene : First a youngster Varun D ( as well as Sidharth M ) came to the Industry bec of SRK by working as an assistant director on SRK’s MNIK & then did debut by SRK’s production company RCE so basically you trolled yourself through your Bhai’s type comment. 2nd what so great by helping Sooraj.. after all one murderer is helping other murderer in the Industry & by helping a flop actor like Imran Kaun? who is in the way to break record of salmon/amiri in terms of flops & cheap films? 3rd imran Kaun is not youngster anymore he has been in the Industry from many years so don’t troll yourself, through whom now Publicity ka Bhooka amiri Kaun is getting publicity by showing fake tears . 4th if anyone is saving someone’s career that is Nawazuddin who has saved ur Bhai after debacle Jai ho that’s why Bhojpuri Bhai worked with him back to back as he didn’t have trust on himself.. 5th even real life loser/non actor Bhojpuri Bhai is trying to save his career thro working with Legendary ppl like Sonam,Nitin & Arman in Neil Nitin Bhai Bachao..
@Na khabi jeetenge oof Neva win oof Navin chacha loser? you keep on bashing hritik srk and Khiladi Don! You hardly post any nonsensical everlasting comments of yours on Aamir or Ajay! 1 on 1 tell me what has Aamir achieved that king khan has not achieved. Nothing beside box office media created unnecessary 100 crs clubs! Tell me what Ajay has done that akki has not done if not way back? But you keep on selecting your target or victims who fortunately have achieved more than all those actors you hardly bash. Khabi toh fair play karna loser. In reality SRK >>chotu while akki is far more >>>>>than kalla pathar!!!
@ Navin :
I remember once you said that KHNH was one of your favourite films , and you liked SRK’s performance more than that in Swades and CDI .
Now you calling it crap …
If you dislike a film like Kal Ho Naa Ho , then I have to say … you aren’t well !
@the phenomenal goof
You imbecile- I said it was Nikhils crappest film but in Queens filmography it was better than Swades n that too bcoz of Preity n Saif…!
@6:04am Asad kaun…? Oh yes the NANGAwala
Nawaz’ next after BB ie Manjhi also was a 300cr Blockbuster despite Indicine not reporting the news. I recall even Kabirs next Phantom
Of The Opera also was a huge 300cr Blockbuster but that news report is still being compiled. But the biggest 300cr smash hit of them all will be Nawaz bhais next with Queen titled Baadshah Rice Smuggler…! Will you be happy if it too like Manjhi or Phantom earns only 300cr bcoz with Global Super Duper Star Queen on board it should do double the business of Nawaz’s last solo starrer Manjhi no…?
If you like a film like KHNH then you too must be in a coma praying for the torture to be over…!
KHNH was the prequel of Jab Tak Hai Mojo- both movies drove audiences to a comatose state…!
@Navin HUHUHU COMA?? I think you are live in a coma state. Most probably after watching Crapest Bhojpuri Bhaijaan. Get well soon!!
@I am an idiot : Still DCH was a cult movie unlike Con & Con2 or even Swades !!!!!!!!! Seems you born after OSO hence do not know about what DCH was. It changed many lives of Youngsters !!!!!!!!!
Stop copying my line like your moron mate @sss !!!!!!! Come up something from PRESENT instead of keep bragging about Don vs Jaaneman !!!!!!!!!! Look forward to :
SULTAN vs Baniye ki kanjossi aur (chaddi) Banyan ki Daring !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!