It’s here finally, the TOP 15 Grossers of 2012! The table below illustrates the total net collections of films (all figures from Boxofficeindia) and their final verdicts.
With the multiplex culture expanding exponentially over the last couple of years, we’ve also included two parameters which hold maximum importance while judging the fate of a movie at ticket window:
1. Release Date [Holiday/ Non-Holiday]
2. Number of screens the film was exhibited at. [This is an approximate figure. Actual may vary by +/-100 screens].
TOP 15 Biggest Grossers of 2012
- Contrary to 5 films in 2011 (Bodyguard – 141 cr / Ready – 121 cr / Ra One – 115 cr / Don2 – 105 cr / Singham – 99 cr), there were as many as 8 films in 2012 which joined the 100 crore elite club.
- Two most vital ventures which couldn’t find a place in TOP 15 are :- Kahaani (SUPER HIT) with collections around 60 cr and Vicky Donor (SUPER HIT) which made business in excess of 41 cr.
Most Profitable Superstars
- In 2012, all bollywood films collectively generated a grand total of 2600+ crore nett. The chart shown above depicts the percentage share contributed by all actors individually.
- Akshay Kumar leads the sprint with maximum contribution of 15.9% as the cumulative business done by his five films count to RECORD 413 cr. Salman Khan is at 2nd spot with his two biggies collecting in excess of 336 crore (12.9%) and thus he also managed by far the best average of 168 crore. Similar calculative theory holds true for every other superstar.
- Two most prominent stars in “Others” category are Emraan Hashmi and Saif Ali Khan with cumulative collections of 130 crore (5%) and 120 crore (4.6%) respectively.
- An astonishing statistic that the above case study throws is that the TOP 7 superstars collectively added 52.6% of the total business and the industry relies on OTHERS for the rest 47.4%. Thus it is once again established that our industry works as a team and every actor, star or not a star, has a proportionate share in it.
- In order to analyse the distribution of genres in Bollywood, we’ve taken into account the TOP 15 films mentioned in the first section of this article.
- Although, almost every film belongs to more than one genre, to facilitate our study we’ve considered most eminent genre for every film. For example, Agneepath is an Action-Drama but we’ve taken it as an Action movie.
- ACTION — Ek Tha Tiger / Dabangg 2 / Rowdy Rathore / Agneepath; COMEDY — Housefull 2 / Bol Bachchan / Son of Sardar / Khiladi 786; ROMANCE — Jab Tak Hai Jaan / Cocktail / Student of the Year; DRAMA — Barfi! ; SUSPENSE — Talaash; HORROR — Raaz 3; SOCIAL — OMG! Oh My God.
- The prominence of Action genre is quite evident as all TOP 4 grossing films belong to this category. Comedy is the second favorite with an equal number of 4 films as Action while Romance takes third spot with 3 movies. Out of TOP 15, Drama, Suspense, Horror and Social categories have one film each.
Don’t forget to share your valuable feedback/comments about how you found this write up. Also, do let us know about your Favorite films, superstars and Genres. CHEERS!
Article by Archit Mishra (tweets @architmishra_06)