The Economic Times of India reports that leading e-commerce website Snapdeal has decided not to renew Aamir Khan’s contract as the brand ambassador of the company. The decision comes a few months after Aamir’s controversial statement on ‘growing despondency’ in the country.
Timeline of Aamir’s association with Snapdeal:
- February 2015: Aamir Khan signs one-year contract and becomes the brand ambassador of Snapdeal
- March 2015: Snapdeal launches new brand campaign ‘Dil Ki Deal’ featuring Aamir Khan
- November 2015: Aamir makes a comment on growing despondency, says his wife spoke about leaving the country and fears for her child.
- January 2016: Agency that handles the ‘Incredible India’ campaign decides against renewing Aamir’s contract.
- February 2016: Snapdeal snaps ties. Decides to look out for another celebrity once Aamir’s contract expires.
Back in November, soon after Aamir’s comments on intolerance, Snapdeal had distanced itself from the actor’s comments “Snapdeal is neither connected nor plays a role in comments made by Aamir Khan in his personal capacity. Snapdeal is a proud Indian company built by passionate young Indians focused on building an inclusive digital India” read a statement released by the company.