2009 was a poor year with some epic big budget disasters. Movies that were expected to be classics, were thrashed by the critics and rejected outright by the audience. Here is our list of the Top 5 most disappointing Bollywood movies of 2009
5) Blue – Huge budget with stars allegedly being paid double salary.. all wasted on a film that completely lacked a plot. Filled with lame dialogues and a 50 year old Sanjay Dutt uncomfortably romancing the sexy Lara Dutta, the film was a disappointment start to finish. The only saving grace were those underwater sequences, which many preferred watching on National Geographic. Released during Diwali, Blue opened to huge numbers, only to eventually witness a huge crash during its weekdays.
4) Kambakht Ishq – Akshay Kumar returned after 2 back to back failures and while Kambakht Ishq recovered its investment, the movie was a waste of time and money. Hollywood bigwigs Sylvester Stallone, Denise Richards, Brandon Routh, Bollywood stunners Kareena Kapoor, Amrita Arora et al couldn’t save this tragically torturous film. Wonder what the makers were thinking?
3) Tasveer 8 x 10 – Accused of acting in far too many mindless entertainers and a overall lack of variety in the characters he portrays, Kumar’s biggest claim to critically acclaim turned out to be a damp squib. The film didn’t even manage a face saving opening at the box office.
2) What’s Your Rashee? – The Oscar nominated director of Lagaan and acclaimed films like Swades and Jodha Akbar, returned this time with a comedy starring Harman Baweja and Priyanka Chopra. The result? A clueless film that dragged on for hours and put most in theater into deep slumber. Certainly we expected more from Gowariker.
1) Delhi 6 – From the biggest stars like Hrithik Roshan to newbies like Ranbir Kapoor rejected the film, and after release we know exactly why. Fresh from the super success of Rang De Basanti, Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra’s Delhi 6 was at worst, expected to watchable. Sadly, Mehra got it all wrong. Right from the story, direction, to the characterization and even the dialogues.
Do post your list of Most disappointing films of 2009 below.