Real life couple Saif Ali Khan and Kareena Kapoor come together for Rensil D’Silva’s Kurbaan produced under the Dharma Productions banner. No publicity is bad publicity and hence the controversy surrounding the film right from the time Karan Johar revealed the first look on Twitter to the Shiv Sen protests just before release, has only helped raise the curiosity level. But come Friday, when the film witnesses a global release, it all comes down to the merits. Does Rensil D’Silva in his debut deliver? Read on to find out
The story revolves around Avantika (Kareena Kapoor) and Ehsaan (Saif Ali Khan), both professors at a university, fall in love, marry and move abroad to the United States of America. All’s good, until Kareena discovers her husband works for a terror sleeper cell and along with others, is planning an attack similar to 9/11. Under house arrest, Avantika’s only hope is a journalist (Vivek Oberoi), who is also on a mission to take his revenge on the terrorists, who were responsible for the death of his girlfriend (Dia Mirza in a special appearance).
What works for Kurbaan
- The first half is fantastic, extremely gripping. Aided by a powerful screenplay in his very first film as director, Rensil D’Siva has managed to keep the intensity level going throughout. He also proves to be an expert story-teller, a director to watch out for.
- Also there aren’t any unwanted scenes or excessive melodrama, due to which the pace remains very consistent.
- The second half though, does get a bit heavy with the cold-blooded characters and the crafty yet involving plotline . Don’t expect a moment of relief, till the credits roll – a good 2 hours 40 mins later.
- What makes Kurbaan a must watch are superlative performances (rated below) from the entire cast – right from the lead stars to those FBI characters played by foreigners.
- Technically the film is brilliant too. High on production value, even the blast sequences and the aftermath have been shot with attention to every small detail.
- Music, like in most Dharma productions, is top notch. Shukran Allah and Ali Maula deserve mention.
- Dialogues (Anurag Kashyap and Niranjan Iyenga) are very effective, especially those written for Saif and Vivek.
Scenes to watch out for (Possible spoilers below)
- When Kareena gets to know the ‘shocking’ truth.
- Vivek’s test at the burger / sandwich shop, when he is asked to shoot the chef down.
- Kareena cutting open the wound to remove the bullet off Saif’s chest.
- The much discussed love making scene featuring Kareena and Saif. Loads of skin show (bare back) but tastefully shot.
Performances (in order)
- Vivek Oberoi – Given a meaty role, Vivek delivers a performance comparable to the likes of Company and Shootout at Lokanwala. Re-birth of a star, if you could call it so. Here’s hoping, he gets noticed and Kurbaan proves to be the much needed boost to his career. What also deserves a mention is his enunciation, which is spot on.
- Saif Ali Khan – Very consistent and a performance that stays with you, long after you leave theaters.
- Kareena Kapoor – In a depressing character is very effective.
- Om Puri, Kirron Kher and the rest of the cast are very good.
- Dia Mirza – In a very sweet character, looked stunningly beautiful. How we wish, she had a longer role.
Negatives, not many
- Family audiences may not enjoy a few sequences. As the movie progresses, it does get too heavy. There is a decent amount of blood and gore too.
- 4 -5 people organizing a terror attack of such magnitude. isn’t too very convincing. Especially the first plane bombing.
- The climax, while shocking, may not be universally accepted.
Overall, Kurbaan is a fascinating watch and arguably the best Dharma Productions film this decade. Forget comparisons with New York, this ones much better. Go for it.
Rating: For performances, direction and screenplay. Must watch.
Other Notes : We would love to repeat, something we have said time and again. Buying, renting CDs / DVDs or downloading it from the internet is illegal. Its quite simply like going to a shop and stealing something that you want to buy. A lot of money and more importantly effort, goes into the making of each film. If you decide to watch it, do so ONLY in theaters. Its a request :)
Already watched the film? Drop in your Kurbaan Reviews below in the comments section.
vivek rocked in the movie, hes the hero of the movie. he is one of the finest actor. kareena on the othar hand did a fantastic job… n OMG she appeared so stunning i mean shez all natural God gifted beauty.. a true stunner n a performer.. n so is vivek
This time i have to drop a line. I wait for fathiya’s review even after indicine’s.
The criticality with which she observes a movie is awesome. And i am never disappointed I haven’t watched the movie yet. I am not sure whether the movie is worth spending 200 bucks so i m Waiting 4 fathiya to post the review.
This time i have to drop a line. I wait for fathiya’s review even after indicine’s.
The criticality with which she observes a movie is awesome. And i am never disappointed I haven’t watched the movie yet. I am not sure whether the movie is worth spending 200 bucks so i m Waiting 4 fathiya to post the review. !
all i wanna say is how can a great director like karan johar directed tht movie…it was all aginst muslims, no one have a right to talk about islam, this movie was first offered to shahrukh khan but he refused to did tht movie cuz he read the script , but saif ali khan did tht movie, and on his interview he said tht its one of his great movie, im sorry to say but he is just 2 faced..wht would hindu’s do if someone make a movie aginst there religion?
My couple of friend watch this movie today morning and said it is not worth watching!!!So i will not see this movie in cinema hall…Will wait for DVD arrive or may be on pirated DVD after couple of days!!!!!!And my friends were was of my age 18-20 years!!!!How can INDICINE TEAM say that youngstar like the movie!!!Here in nepal,this movie is trash by many even young or old!!!!THey said it is not worth watching!!!and interesting thing they said only worth watching moment was kissing scenes haha!!!!!
Sudeep- its not so bad yaar… u can give it 2.5-3/5. love makin scenes r not tat worth.. u `ve already seen it on trailors.. funniest part s dey mak dat love scene wen she s pregnant may be 15wk+ n her tummy s so flat…;)
Amish:I was just kidding abt kissing scenes!!!!!but i m not interested in this movie..I m waiting for next friday..Is next friday ED??????Tht mean first day will be huge for de dana dan
^ saturday s EID.. 28th.. so sat collections `ll be gud i guess.. akki shud start promotin DDD from monday with suniel paresh n Katrina.. i hope he `ll..;) atleast gud openin `ll mak tat movie a hit..:)
kurbaan is a disgusting movie. saif proved he is a pervert, and kareena proved she is nothing but a w****.
AMish :They have start promoting!!!!Infact,Akshay-suniel-paresh r promoting movie in NDTV n bollywoodhungama.com n katrina n Samera is promoting in IBN,glamsham…..I agree promotion is not tht high but still Akshay power will make to go n watch the movie i guess
what nauman said is bullshit…. go watch movie.. its great.. 4/5
Sudeep- ya i watched dat part 1 interview on bollywood hungama.. wat i meant was promotions on tv.. with d media.. not only on internet website… press conferences etc.. shud be done..
ya dey r confident bout akki power i guess so not spendin much money.. may want to keep d budget under control…
This yr akki has 2 flops , 2 average so last 1 shud be a hit…. wat u say….;)
Can anyone give me movie tickets so that i can watch this movie. I m below poverty line
How in the world cud someone give a trashy movie like ‘Kurbaan’ 4.5 rating??? what the hell was the reviewer thinking?? I mean direction is alright but with such big loopholes in the script, it makes no real sense at all… I have lost total faith in indicine’s reviews!
thx u liked my review just check the timming of my posting it was about 2 am in sydney and my show finished at 12 in the night i went home about 1 am coz cinema was too far from my home .i realy wanted to put my review asap . i never thought that i will watch kurbaan in cinema coz i didnt get any attraction in promos but when taran gave 4 star i thought ok may be good movie but taran gave 4 stars in recent so many movies like wanted , blue , wake up sid , kameenay , ajab ghazab and all these movies dont deserve 4 stars except wake up sid , but when u put 4.5 star i was total craze i just called to my all friends and said that hayy guys taran 4 and indicine 4.5 so whts programm they said ok sat night , i said no tonight we hv to go tonight in any condition, they said ok and we went in the whole movie is ok but wht i hv to do with those plenty of flows which i mentioned do u think all these things a reality ??? in indian to college professor can kiss in staff room ??? can some terrorist who have a very big plan of bombing beleive on a stranger ????
wht was the back ground of saifi ??? kareena never asked even her father never asked
if akshay is in any movie u will find 100s flows and sense less things tell me true ( plz dont mind i respect u) where was ur sense when u were watching Kurbaan and when u were typing review and when u for putting 4.5 stars .
do u know wht is the meaning of 4.5 / 5 ??? it means that it is the only one movie of this year which one is 100 % perfect . do u think it is perfect movie ???
and other sites are saying that 1st day collection is below avg and u r predictiing 23 cr for weekend
hahhaaahh why r u kididng with us ??? we dont need to lough at a moment coz every one is waiting for 27 nov for fun and lough and me for 26 nov coz in sydney ddd is showing on 26 nov.
it is true abut all critics when they like any movie and movie business is not up to the mark they try to make it more if movie got 20 cr they will say 25 if movie is avg they will say above avg. and when they dont like any movie if that will get 40 cr they will say 35 when movie is semi hit they will say avg.
and now u guys like kurbaan and now u wana pretend it .
lets see how much u can predent it.
and please when u will go to cinema for any new movies review please have a cup of coffee or tea other wise u will sleep again in the hall like kurbaan and u will put wrong comments.
dont think that i dont like saifi . he is my fav i always use saifi for him not saif ali ( check my all comments abt him even in top 10 actors page i gave good comments for him) but kurbaan doesnt deserve more then 3.
Amish:They have started…Havenot u seen interview of akshay-suniel-paresh in NDTV..n just couple of mins ago Paresh-suniel-katrina was interviewing in V CHANNEL…..But Finger cross!!!!!hope is all from akshay
^ ya this movie s not worth 4.5 stars..
Indicine team- i don agree with ur reviews on kurbaan and tum mile..
kurbaan was average- 2.5/5
tum mile was bad- 2/5
kurbaan would `ve been better if it was released before New York. bcoz its very similar i didnt find it great.
characters r same to same:- John-saif, neil-vivek,katrina-kareena (kareena here still not delivered d baby;))
ending also. in kurbaan it s shot in train der it was shot on d roof….;)
sudeep- ndtv interview? does it come on net.. ? i dont get ndtv on my tv..
ya am sure movie `ll do well… but u know wat s d problem- al these ppl `ll give it a 1.5 or 2 stars which makes ppl stay back home. its human nature tat once every1 says its a bad movie even if its gud u feel it as bad…
along with dat dey `ll tell akshay s pathetic, same thing he repeats etc.. sleepwalks n dunno wat al..;)
dont worry about that i am always with u till my death and waiting ur reply .
but wht will u give me reply u didnt give me reply yet for london dreams when u guys said that dialogues are very poor and i asked u to write some good dialoguges and u guys didnt discuss that thing again.
please give me a favour when u will go to cinema on 27 nov please have some coffee or tea before u enter in the hall pleaseeee it is my humble request. and take good sleep on thursday night atlease 8 hrs.
Amish:You can see it at ndtv.com !!!!!!Ya may be critics donot like movie but when did critics like akshay movie ????2-3 movie only other all r below rating!!!So people know tht but also they will go to see it…If DE DANA DAN is very bad like CCTC or tashan only people will not go to see but if it is same categories like WELCOME,NO ENTRY,phir hera pheri then people will surely enjoy it!!!!! But personal point of view,Priyadarsan is good director …May be his story plot is thin but still there r lots of laughter dose …so i trust on Priyadarsan as his last movie billu barber was also nice but not great!!!!! But here,Akshay-suniel-paresh and other 20 character(Funny character like jony lever,rajpal yadav,manoj joshi n many more r there) if all can give 1 punch comedy then it will have more than 20 punch which make enough to make it hit!!!!!But still finger cross
Nauman – good job with an excellent and candid review.
Give me tickets of the movie. I m below poverty line. I want to see the movie. Please help
for all salman fans according to glamsham.com main aur mrs khanna has emerged as hit it has got a record viewership in DTH with 22 crs till now
Sorry, but I was not entertained watching Kurbaan.
Really slow and full of faana stuff rom Amir khan camp and Arington Road.
This movie is forgettable.
Next year, no one will talk about this movie. Another dvd to throw out.
lol, I buy them for 1 usd at the flea market and then I throw it out.
There is not way I would keep this crap bollywood movie called Kurbaan in my house.
It’s not good.
Really stupid because we not given movies that entertain.
Just rich actors trying to act as if they are suffering.
So useles. So Saif, waste you life, we don’t care about your future movies.
We don’t like bollywood movies.
A movie about terrorism. So sleepy this movie makes me.
And the ladies I went with , hated it.
Indicine Team: I agree with yr review.. it’s a brilliant movie.. it’s nothing less than the movie “New York” but with a different script & direction ( Khuda ki liya was completely a different movie and can’t be compared with Kurban, a different conception)
Comparing Kurban with New York.. Kurban is more intense, and although it’s a serious movie, you’d never get bored while watching it at all. Actually the 2nd half is much better than the 1st half.. I watched it with my niece and she said also the same.. and when the movie finished she said: who r those idiots who’d say that Kurban isn’t a good movie?!! probably those who love only those silly comedy would say such a thinkg about this movie ( and she loved it although she doesn’t like serious movies very much, she’d rather watch romantic comedy but she enjoyed watching Kurban, and that proves the good script and the good direction.)
And if the awards would go to any actress this year, so the 2 actresses who really deserve it are: Katrina & Karina.. Karina did a great job, great acting in this movie.. this is her best performance after Omkara.. all the cast were good, Saif & others and Vivek’s performance was also good.
I didn’t find any negative scene ( and the love making scene was scensored), we didn’t see it.. the only scene which surprised me is the scene in the burger shop.. when Om Puri asks Vivek to shoot the guy.. I didn’t expect that he’d do it.. I expected that Vivek would take another action not to kill the innocent guy, but he tried to do it and then found out there was no bullet in the pistol!! I didn’t agree only on this scene!
Overall.. it’s a worth watching movie, and why some muslim ppl should be offeneded?! this movie actually is against terrorism and about the victims, innocent ppl who’d die and pay their life as a price for the terrorist’s revenge.. that’s the message in the movie..it’s not against muslims
Good review Fathiya and glad you enjoyed the movie.
Nauman, Amish and others. Watching a movie is an experience, if the 2 – 3 hours you spend in theater is enjoyable, memorable and thrilling.. that is all that matters. Story.. yes, depending on the genre, its important but only to a certain extent. Take the best of movies – Chak De India, Taare Zameen Par, Jodhaa Akbar, Lagaan, Rang De Basanti.. they all had flaws, doesn’t mean they aren’t good enough to be classics.. Certain cinematic liberties are always taken to take the story forward, from the director’s point of view – to make it more exciting, gripping for the audience..
Even Akshay Kumar’s story-less movies, given the genre, were enjoyable once upon a time, but not anymore. What’s the difference between Chandni Chowk, Welcome, Singh Is King, Kambakth Ishq and many more? Much of the same thing – they continue to be loud, over the top with a disjointed screenplay. Its tiring to watch Akshay in similar films, back to back, the non-Akshay fans (talking about film buffs here) need a change.. and the year 2009 is a proof of this.
There hasn’t been any variety, Tasveer and Blue – Akki’s best bets – unfortunately weren’t upto the mark. So now its back to the same thing.
And Nauman, if De Dana Dan is as bad as the other two Akshay comedies this year, 10 cups of coffee aint gonna be good enough. We have our expectations low, Akki fans will anyways watch it irrespective of how much we rate the film, so the review would only matter to others.
Nauman, avoid calling others crazy. Comment deleted. Different people, different tastes. You hate a dish, doesn’t mean someone else cannot like it. :)
P.S – Its ‘flaws’ not ‘flows’
Nauman: sorry that I didn’t read yr review because I decided not to read it ( a spoiler) and I didn’t until I watched the movie today.. I’ve posted my review 30 minutes ago.. so here I am.. reading yr comment.. and sorry to tell u Nuaman that I donnnnnnnt agreeeee with all your points!! ( even the way u mentioned the story shows that you just want to “spoil” it!!) you sound like u want to pick any minor and unnecessary points in the movie! just to spoil it for others and to forbid them from watching it! let me take your negative points one by one and comment on them:
1) kissing scene in the staff room: lots of ppl do it in fact.. if u can’t believe it.. so believe it now.. even at of of the banks in our country..a couple were caught having sex in a private room! even at one of the universities in Bahrain, a couple were found completely naked in a class room!! these are all shocking news.. but it happens dear Nauman!
2) Some movies don’t show you all the details because it’s just not important.. we, as audience, could predit that he did it ( and as a terrorist ofcourse he’d give them some false info.. right?!) And it had to be like that, the audience will be surprised lateron.. when he finds out that Saif was married and his wife got killend with his baby ( Nauman: you’d better become a filmmaker then you’d rectify all these points which u mentioned and you’ll make a super hit movie!)
3) When we know that there’s a bomb on a flight and one of the fiends or family on board.. so immediately we think how to reach that personand inform him not to get in the plane.. in such a moment which need urgent action and there’s no time to think, what’s right or what’s wrong we don’t know.. we’ll try to protect (first) people which we know.
4) If u were in Kareena’s place and saw your neighbour is beating his wife.. you’d not even bother to sneak around like she did.. to find out what’s happening in their house because you’ll be afraid and you wl stay away because u don’t want to get involed in some troubles with the neighbours.. so.. are u going to call the police and put yourself in a bigger one with them? No nah?!!
5) Why Vivek tried to solve the problem himself? I think u need to watch the movie again.. probably you fell asleep in that scene! when the security man asked him to do what you’re exactly asking, and Vivek replied: no.. becuse it will make it worse.. he thought the police would ruin it and then he will lose the chance to catch the terrorists… that’s why.
And 6, 7, 8, 9, 10.. you know what Mr. Nauman.. you should discuss all what you’ve mentioned with the director & the producer of the movie.. if they’ll think to make (Kurban 2) then they’ll hire u for sure to make the best part 2 and would avoid all those points which u mentioned!! and then you’ll get an award.. best script writer & director or a best critic award!
Too add more to the 4th point, Saif asked Kareena not to inform the cops and to avoid interfering in their personal issues. How many of us Indians, would call up the cops, if you see your neighbor abusing his wife? Very few.
And agree with point 3 as well, when Kareena regained her consciousness the first thing she did was call Dia after which Saif walked in almost immediately.
nauman: hahahahha… a bullshit movie for u nauman but not for me.. I still don’t know which movies you found the best.. could u please give me some examples.. just to know your taste.