It’s no longer a secret that Excel Entertainment is hunting for a new date to release their upcoming film ‘Raees’ starring Shah Rukh Khan in the lead. But they still do not have a date, as all the major weekends this year are packed with film releases.
Before announcing a new date, the makers would do well to ensure the following:
- The new date shouldn’t end up in yet another clash, this is the last thing that they would want. When there were rumours doing the rounds that Raees is coming on July 29, Sajid Nadiadwala and Varun Dhawan organised a ‘pack-up press conference’ yesterday and said they were unwilling to move ‘Dishoom’ because Sajid considers the weekend to be lucky for his production house. Both Kick and Mujshe Shaadi Karogi released in the last week of July.
- Releasing Raees just 2-3 months after FAN could prove to be risky, because FAN has performed poorly. A gap of around 4-5 months would be ideal.
To find out the next best date, let’s look at the various weekends this year:
- July 29: Dishoom is the big film in the last week of July. The producer has made it clear that they won’t move, even if any other film is announced for the same day.
- August 12 (Independence Day): Mohenjo Daro and Rustom are scheduled to clash, so this date is not an option either.
- August 25: Jamashtami weekend with plenty of holidays in Week 2 and Week 3. Could be a good date.
- September 2: MS. Dhoni biopic is scheduled to release. The Ganesh Chaturthi holiday falls in this week.
- September 9: Could be the best date for the film because Excel’s own ‘Baar Baar Dekho’ is currently announced to release during the 4-day extended weekend – with Bakrid holiday falling on Monday.
- September 30: Vishal Bharadwaj has booked his favourite weekend for ‘Rangoon’ but the Gandhi Jayanti holiday won’t carry any advantage this year as it falls on Sunday.
- Diwali: There are rumours of Raees taking the Diwali weekend, but that would mean yet another clash. Ajay Devgn won’t move. Karan Johar might – but he himself needs a big weekend for his directorial venture.
- November: The entire month of November is free with just one big film – Rock On 2 on November 11.
- December: There is Aditya Chopra’s Befikre on December 9 and Aamir Khan’s Dangal during Christmas.
If we were Excel, we would lock either August 25 or September 9 (no major release for 2-3 weeks + 4-day extended weekend) for Raees