With about a week to go – it’s finally time for the pre-release coverage of Ek Tha Tiger. Obviously, the film has a lot riding on it and the trade has humungous expectations from the Salman Khan – Katrina Kaif starrer.
- Ek Tha Tiger is the costliest film that Yashraj Films has ever produced. Insiders say, the film cost Rs 80 crores to produce and market.
- It’s Salman’s first release in the last one year. The expectations are high, since Khan has delivered back-to-back blockbusters during EID (Dabangg in 2010 and Bodyguard in 2012).
- ETT is produced by the biggest production house in the industry and features two of the biggest names in the business – Salman and Katrina.
- And finally, Ek Tha Tiger has an extended weekend of 5 days. Plus it has the added benefit of a holiday on Monday.
So what are the records that Ek Tha Tiger chases next weekend?
- First day : When Bodyguard absolutely smashed the 14.5 crore record of Dabangg, by more than 40%, not many expected any film to come close until Salman’s next holiday release. But Hrithik Roshan’s Agneepath broke the record by 5% to top the list.
- Biggest day : Shahrukh Khan currently holds the record for the highest single-day collections, as Ra One on the second day of it’s release, notched up close to 23 crore nett (Hindi version only). Can ETT break both records on 15th August?
- First Weekend (3 days) : Another record that SRK holds will be in the firing line during the holy festival of EID. Ra One also tops the list of the highest weekend, with 52.93 crores (Hindi only) in the first 3 days of it’s release.
- First Sunday : Akshay Kumar’s last release Rowdy Rathore currently holds the top spot. But the film was able to break the record, as released on Friday. It’s ‘first Sunday’ was the 3rd day of release. Since Ek Tha Tiger is releasing on Wednesday and Sunday will be it’s 5th day, a lot will depend on content and word-of-mouth.
- First Week (7 days) : This time it’ll be Salman competing with himself, as his last release Bodyguard created history by grossing Rs 100 crore in the first 7 days.
- Second Weekend : Content will be the absolute king, if the film has to come close to the 34 crore record currently held by 3 Idiots. This is one record, where we seriously doubt ETT will come anywhere close.
- Lifetime Collections : The biggest of the lot! Salman Khan recently said that it’s shameful that no film has come close to 3 Idiots in 3 years. Even with multiplexes in every nook and corner of the country and rising ticket prices, no film has managed to cross the 150 crore barrier. Can Ek Tha Tiger do it? Well, a lot would depend on the content again. Presence of a major star, popular music, universal appeal and strong word-of-mouth are all very important if any film has to break into the 200 crore club.
So then, those are the 7 records that Ek Tha Tiger chases when it finally releases next weekend. We believe, the film is capable of smashing all of them – except the second weekend of 3 Idiots.
There’s more for the individuals involved too..
- Salman Khan: It could be a hattrick of ‘blockbusters’ during EID for Salman and his 4th 100 crore grosser.
- Katrina Kaif: She’s the most popular star in the industry, but none of her films (as a lead) feature in the 100 crore club.
- Yashraj Films: Like Katrina, the biggest production house too doesn’t have a 100 crore film to it’s credit? They would want that to change. Wouldn’t they?
What do you think? Which records will Ek Tha Tiger break? Tell us in the comments section below.
If you liked reading the article, hit the ‘Like’ button below or share on Twitter.