In Part 2 of ‘Joginder answers’, film critic and trade analyst Joginder Tuteja answers a few more questions.
1. How important is ‘Jab Tak Hai Jaan’ for Shahrukh Khan’s career as his last 3 films have not done too well at the box office (although MNIK, Ra.One and Don 2 are blockbusters overseas) whereas Salman Khan is ruling today? – Gaurav Handa
- Yes, Salman Khan is ruling today but that has no bearing on Shahrukh Khan or for that matter Akshay Kumar or Aamir Khan, all of whom can deliver a humungous opening for their films consistently. Coming to your main question, ‘Jab Tak Hai Jaan’ is as important for Shahrukh Khan as a biggie would be for any other superstar. However, the film has to do quite well critically as well as commercially for him; not from the perspective of him maintaining his superstar status but getting an entire perception shift that seems to have crept in during last year or so. Otherwise the three films that you mention have all seen very good initial footfalls (while Don 2 and My Name Is Khan hung on as well) that are a clear indication of audience still rooting for him. Still, the perception game has to definitely change.
2. What are the box office prospects of Ekta Kapoor’s ‘Shootout At Wadala’ and ‘Once Upon A Time In Mumbaai 2’? – Saurabh Mishra
- Both films are super-hot in trade, industry and of course audience. ‘Once Upon A Time In Mumbaai 2’ is all set to get a very good head start due to the brand value as well as the fact that it is a much loved film amongst the masses. Moreover, Akshay Kumar’s presence adds further weight to the film due to which it should take a record opening for an Ekta Kapoor production. On the other hand ‘Shootout At Wadala’ is also gaining steam. As per insiders who have had a dekko at the film, Sanjay Gupta is all set for a stunning comeback. Both films would most definitely enable Ekta Kapoor’s entry into the 100 crore club.
3. What are your box office predictions for Emraan Hashmi’s ‘Rush’? Do you think it will make more than 50 crore? – Huzaifa Zafar
- 50 crore is quite tough and I am sure even the makers won’t be setting huge targets. The film is arriving one week after ‘Student of the Year’, facing some level of competition from ‘Ajab Gazabb Love’ and ‘Chakravyuh’ and post that would face immediate challenge from ‘Skyfall’ (at multiplexes) and ‘1920 – Evil Returns’ (at single screens). Anything above 30 crores should be a satisfying total for all involved.
4. What was the reason for failure of Salman Khan before ‘Wanted’? How could he come back strongly after that? – Prabesh Rai
- Watch Zoya Akhtar’s ‘Luck By Chance’ and you would get the answer. Superstars like Salman Khan don’t have continued failure for a long stretch, they just have bad phases and in Salman’s case, the biggest culprit was the ‘perception’ factor more than anything else. His personal issues were plaguing his fan following while health issues were not allowing him to ‘look’ like a superstar (the ‘Yuvvraaj’ phase). This is where the comeback came into picture which falls into a ‘luck by chance’ category. Remember that ‘Wanted’ was a delayed film and had its own challenges to be completed. Even Salman’s look had a continuity problem. However targeted marketing did the trick for him and once the film was accepted by masses, he grabbed the opportunity and went on to sign many films in the same genre.
5. According to you which movie will collect more at the box office Jab Tak Hai Jaan, Talaash or Dabangg 2? – Saddam
- While ‘Dabangg 2’ is all set to be the biggest of them all, as of now ‘Jab Tak Hai Jaan’ is a better bet over ‘Talaash’. Reason being that Salman starrer is an accepted brand while Yash Chopra-Shahrukh Khan combination is huge. On the other hand ‘Talaash’ appears to be a good film though for a suspense thriller, it becomes tough to score as much as a family film or a ‘masala’ action affair. It would be huge though for sure and between the three of them, the trio of Khans would be delivering some solid money-spinners.
You can ask Joginder a question – just fill the form below. If your question is selected, it will be answered next Sunday by film critic and trade analyst Joginder Tuteja.
[contact-form-7 id=”40462″ title=”Ask Joginder”]
Jab tak hai jaan all time blockbuster
dabangg2 biggest of them all.ha ha ha ha.RIP SRK
Specialy i am 200% agree with your 4th answer:
‘Dabangg 2’ is all set to be the
biggest of them all.
1.dabangg2=255cr. 2.jab tak hai jaan=180-190cr& 3.talash=150-155cr
My take is like this.
jab tak hai jaan—- 160crs
Jab tak hai jaan—-305-315crs.
Hit like and give your comments on this prediction..
No rizwan only dabangg2. 3 open week running theater more than 230-250cr
jab tak hai jaan—- 130crs
talaash————–120 crs .
Jab tak hai jaan—-220crs.
d2-10m$(dabangg do 8m$)
@rizwan other two movies are ok.only jthj is wrong.it could do maximum of 130-135 crores in india and 250 crores worldwide.
Actual fact is that Salman went way ahead than all these stars.
No one delivered 4 Blockbuster(2 ATBB) in a row & Dabangg 2 is all set to 5th one with 100% chances of reaching ATBB.
No one reached this status & in future also not looking someone will achieve this.
SRK hasn’t delivered a blockbuster since 2008 so ya it is very important for him.And Mr.Joginder seems to be a big Akshay fan.
Jthj 400 crore
D 2 250 crore
Khiladi 786 45 crore life time flop movei
surely jab tak hai jaan all time blockbuster movie
Dabangg2 trailer release 21days to go biggest blockbuster
Dabbang 2 – 180 crs
JTHJ – 160 crs
Talaash – 130 crs
JTHJ 150-180 crores
khiladi786 will be the biggest grosser
Actual fact is Salman Khan and Akshay Kumar delivered record number of flop films.
Nobody can touch Salman and Akshay in flop films.
Hahahaha now its clear that dabang2 will be the biggest all time blockbuster of bollywood history.can,t wait for dabang2 trailer please release it soon great salman king rocks
My dear fans, what joginder is saying is very true… its all a perception game.. thats the reason i.m trying everything i can to pull down srk’s image.. if i leave him then he will go miles away from my reach.
jab tak hain jaan will break all previous records
Jab tak hai jaan will no doubt will be second highest grossing film after 3idiots in worldwide collections
@nagesh nd marz wel estimated. .
D 2- weekend 60cr to 65cr . . Weekdays 60cr because 25th dec on tue. . 1st week 125cr nd life time 185cr to 200cr
jthj -6 days weekend 80cr to 90cr. . Weekdays 30cr. . 1st extended week 115cr in 10days if it good. . So life time 140 to 150 cr
talash -weekend 50cr nd weekdays 40cr . . 1st week 90cr if it good. . Lifetime 140cr
d 2 -$ 10mn
jthj – $ 12.5mn
talaash -$10 to 12mn. . .
d2 – 315cr to 325cr same as ett
jthj – 275cr
whatever as SALMAN and ARBAAZ said DABANNG-2 will be much better and bigger then the first one so guys ready for:
HUD HUD DABANNG DABANNG.
My dear fans, my sincere request for all u guys is not to get fed up of watching mindless, masala action movies.. i don’t have balls to try something different and i can action as the best.. so plz be same with me and i will keep on delivering cheap remakes of south films. thanks for understanding me.
“dabangg 2” in india n “talaash” in overseas will be highest grossers of 2012.”jthj” will do well only in overseas bcoz in india “son of sardar” will affect it hugely.
Salman khan’s movies r blockbaster only in terms of money,not in all,he also has a record of most continuous films having negative reviews,a real blockbaster movie is that which got praìsed by masses nt by only salman’s fans
@being salman khan. . . Who is dis stupid Srk fan using salman name abusing him again nd again . . . U want we sallu fans to start d same ah . :) if we start it then it would be worst . . Okay . . . Be in article related itself . .