Before the release of Ek Tha Tiger, we published an article on the records that the Salman Khan film chases. Barely 6 days after it’s theatrical release, it’s time to look back and see which of those records were broken.
- First day : Agneepath’s 21 crore record was absolutely destroyed by Ek Tha Tiger on the opening day of it’s release. We expected anything in the range of 26-28 crores, but ETT did 31.25 crore nett!
- Biggest day : Even if you include collections from the regional versions of Ra One, Ek Tha Tiger quite comfortably surpassed the biggest day in history, once again by a huge margin.
- First Weekend (3 days) : Ra One’s 52.93 crore moves to the second spot, with ETT taking the top spot.
- First Sunday : Previously, Akshay Kumar’s Rowdy Rathore held the top spot for the biggest Sunday. Now, it belongs to Ek Tha Tiger.
- First Week (7 days) : The film hasn’t completed 7 days yet, but has already taken over the top shot in less than 6 days!
- Second Weekend : Will be updated – but the 34 crore second weekend of 3 Idiots is unlikely to be broken.
- Lifetime Collections : Will be updates – has an outside chance if it sustains well over the working weekdays and picks up during the second weekend. The film has 10 open days until Joker releases on 31st August. The only competition this week will be from a small film Shirin Farhad Ki Toh Nikal Padi.
Other records and achievements for Ek Tha Tiger
- The first film to cross 30 crores in a single day.
- The first day and first Sunday were both more than 20 crores – no other film has crossed the 20 crore mark twice.
- Is the fastest to 100 crores – joined the much-hyped club in less than 6 days – the previous record was held by Bodyguard, which took 7 days.
- Ghajini in 2008 was the first film to cross 100 crores. Since then, Yashraj Films have produced and released 11 films, but Ek Tha Tiger is the banner’s first 100 crore film.
- ETT is also Katrina Kaif’s first (solo) 100 crore grosser.
- On it’s 7th day, if you go by the figures from Boxofficeindia, only 6 films are currently ahead of Ek Tha Tiger – Agneepath, Ready, Rowdy Rathore, Dabangg, Bodyguard and 3 Idiots. All other films have been beaten in less than 6 days and this includes biggies like Ghajini, Golmaal 3, Ra One (hindi only), Don 2 and Housefull 2.
Obviously, the holiday release, hiked ticket prices and more frequent shows due to it’s short runtime – have all helped the film exceed even the unrealistically high pre-release expectations of the trade.
The film has broken every record in the first 6 days of it’s release. The magical figure of 200 crores, the only remaining record of real interest, remains to be surpassed.
Liked the article? Like on Facebook or share on Twitter (below)