There is no denying the fact that Aamir Khan is ruling the box office like no other actor in the history of Indian Cinema. He might not command the sheer craze or mass hysteria that Salman or Shahrukh manage to generate wherever they go, but when it comes to box office numbers and trends (which almost entirely depends on good content and sharp script-sense), Aamir is way ahead of the rest.
The box office records that he currently holds speaks volumes of his success and stardom. Below, we list some of his major achievements and records:
1. Founder of 100, 150, 200, 250 and 300 crore club: Ghajini was the first Indian film to cross the 100 crore mark. A year later, 3 Idiots became the first to 150 and 200. A few years later, Dhoom 3 crossed 250 for the first time and PK did the unthinkable – it became the first Hindi film to collect Rs 300 crore in India. The ‘3 Idiots’ record stayed for nearly 4 years before Chennai Express finally managed to beat it. How long will the PK record stand the test of time?
2. Overseas King: Dhoom 3 is the highest grosser of all time in the overseas markets and the only film to collect $30 million or more. PK came close in its initial run by collecting $26 million, but the film could eventually beat Dhoom 3 when it releases in other countries. All the Top 3 highest grossers overseas belong to Aamir – 1) Dhoom 3 – $31 million 2) PK – $26.5 million 3) 3 Idiots – $25.9 million.
3. Highest First Week Collections: Dhoom 3 collected 189 crore in its first week at the box office, which is the highest of all time. Dhoom 3 is followed closely by PK (183.09 cr)
4. Highest Grosser in India: With net box office collections of Rs 340 crore, PK is the highest grosser in India, followed by Dhoom 3 which is the second highest grosser with collections of Rs 285 crore.
5. Highest Worldwide Grosser: PK was the first film to gross Rs 600 crore worldwide (i.e India + Overseas collections) and Dhoom 3 was the first to gross more than 500 crore.
Aamir also holds the record for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th week business in India. Box office aside, his films rank highly on sites like IMDB.
3 Idiots (Rank 114) is the highest ranked Indian film in IMDB’s Top 250 list, followed by Munnabhai MBBS (Rank 147), A Wednesday (Rank 150), Rang De Basanti (Rank 151), Dil Chahta Hai (Rank 196), Lagaan (Rank 212), Gangs of Wasseypur (Rank 215) and PK (Rank 248) – which is 5 movies in the Top 250. For someone who involves himself in the entire process of filmmaking – script, pre-production, shooting, editing and marketing – a lot of credit for the success and quality of Aamir films should go to the man himself.
Truly, a legend of Indian Cinema. A man responsible for taking the industry forward.
Once again, from the entire Indicine Team we wish Aamir Khan a very happy birthday. Records or not, we hope Aamir continues to entertain and surprise us through his films.
- Highest Single Day Collection of All Time
- Highest First Day Collections
- Highest First Weekend Collections
- Highest First Week Collections
- Highest Grossers in Bollywood
- Fastest films to 100 crore
- 100 Crore Club
- 150 Crore Club
- 200 Crore Club
- 250 Crore Club
- 300 Crore Club