2015 is coming to an end and it’s Salman Khan yet again who has topped the Highest Grosser of the Year for a record 9th time (10 if Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, where he had a supporting role, is included in the list).
Nearly 300 Hindi films release every year and only one film tops them all. In today’s times, it takes a combination of good content, a major superstar and a genre with universal appeal for a film to generate more than Rs 250 / 300 crore at the box office.
The biggest grosser of the year is also the film that has widely been accepted and brings the maximum number of people to theatres. In this day and age, with prices of movie tickets soaring, piracy increasing and various options for entertainment (like television and video-sharing websites), it’s tough to bring audiences to theatres.
Hence, topping the ‘biggest grosser list’ is nothing short of a major achievement. Below we have compiled a list of the highest grossing films from 1989 to 2015.
|Maine Pyaar Kiya (1989)||Dil (1990)||DDLJ (1995)||Kaho Na Pyaar Hai (2000)||Border (1997)|
|Saajan (1991)||Raja Hindustani (1996)||Kuch Kuch Hota Hai (1998)||Koi Mil Gaya (2003)||Gadar (2001)|
|Hum Aapke Hain Kaun (1994)||Ghajini (2008)||Devdas (2002)||Dhoom 2 (2006)|
|Hum Saath Saath Hain (1999)||3 Idiots (2009)||Veer Zaara (2004)|
|No Entry (2005)||Dhoom 3 (2013)||Om Shanti Om (2007)|
|Dabangg (2010)||PK (2014)|
|Ek Tha Tiger (2012)|
|Bajrangi Bhaijaan (2015)|
- Salman Khan has delivered the highest number of ‘highest grossers of the year’ 9 times since 1989, which also happens to be the year he made his debut. His best years are between 2010 – 2012, when he managed to beat his contemporaries for three continuous years. In 2015, he topped the list once again after making way for Aamir Khan in 2013 and 2014.
- But there is one special record that not many others can boast of. Salman is the ONLY superstar who has two ‘biggest grossers of the decade’. Maine Pyaar Kiya and Hum Aapke Hai Kaun were the biggest grossers of the 80s and 90s respectively. The 2000s belonged to Aamir, as 3 Idiots was the highest grosser of the previous decade.
- Apart from the 5 biggest hits of the year to his credit, Shah Rukh Khan has given the 2nd biggest hits of the year for a record 8 times – Deewana (1991), Karan Arjun (1995), Dil To Pagal Hai (1997), Mohabbatein (2000), Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham (2001), Kal Ho Na Ho (2003), Main Hoon Na (2004) and Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi (2008). He has also consistently made it to the Top 5 since his debut in 1992.
- Salman has delivered Top 2 biggest grossers of the year four times. Hum Saath Saath Hain and Biwi No. 1 in 1999, Bodyguard and Ready in 2011, Ek Tha Tiger and Dabangg 2 in 2012, Bajrangi Bhaijaan and Prem Ratan Dhan Payo in 2015.
- 2006 belonged to Hrithik Roshan as Dhoom 2 and Krrish were the 1st and 2nd biggest hits of the year respectively. Hrithik has also ruled the box office in 2000 (Kaho Naa Pyaar Hai) and 2003 (Koi Mil Gaya).
- Ajay Devgn has three 2nd biggest grosser of the year to his credit. Phool Aur Kaante in 1991, Pyaar to Hona Hi Tha in 1998 and Golmaal 3 in 2010.
- Akshay Kumar has never delivered the highest grosser of the year so far in his career, but came close as many as 4 times. Mohra in 1994, Welcome in 2007 were the 2nd biggest hits while Singh is King and Rowdy Rathore came 3rd in 2008 and 2012 respectively. He would have probably topped the list in 2007, if Taare Zameen Par did not release on the same day.
- Hrithik and Salman are the only big stars to deliver the biggest grosser of the year with their debut films.
- Among the top stars, Ajay Devgn, Akshay Kumar and Ranbir Kapoor are yet to deliver the year’s biggest grosser, something that Sunny Deol managed twice with Border (1997) and Gadar (2001).
- In terms of footfalls, Salman topped the 1980s (Maine Pyaar Kiya) and 1990s (Hum Aapke Hain Kaun). Gadar was the most watched movie of 2000’s, a film that sold many more tickets than 3 Idiots.
- In the current century, when Aamir Khan made it to the top of the list, he not only delivered the highest grosser of the year, but also the highest grosser of all time. Ghajini, 3 Idiots, Dhoom 3 and PK were the highest grossers of the year, highest grossers of all time and All Time Blockbusters.