Analysis and Box-office prediction of Akshay Kumar’s upcoming movies in 2012. This comment was submitted by Indicine reader ‘Taha’ on the 100 crore movies in 2012 article. It’s one of those comments that makes a lot of sense and deserves to be read by more people. Which is why we are publishing this as a separate article. Read on..
I geniunely think Akshay Kumar could be back with a bang next year.
- Once Upon A Time in Mumbai 2 (OUATIM 2) should be a good film, something Akshay has not had in the last few years, and coupled with Ekta Kapoor’s promotion should do well. My Prediction: 65 crores +
- Rowdy Rathore has generated a good hype, and with action being the flavour of the season this could well be a success for Akshay. Also the movie carries far more mass appeal than OUATIM 2, if it goes down well with masses this could be a return to form for Khiladi Kumar. My Prediction: 85 crores +
- Housefull 2 I am not expecting much from. This brand of cinema has never appealed to me much, but it does to some and will probably do very well. However, the Akshay Kumar brand of mindless comedies does not sell as well as it once did (note: Thank You) Not my kind of film but will probably do very well. My Prediction: 75 crores +
- Joker 3D is a worry, I am not too convinced it will open well and Shrish Kunder is at the helm, his last script Tees Maar Khan was shamefully bad. I think this could well be a downer and big flop. My Prediction: under 50 crores
- Khiladi 786 could go either way, a lot depends on whether it releases on Diwali and alongside SRK’s next. If it does, it could well go the Action Replay way, however if it manages to stay clear it should do well in its opening weekend, particularly at mass centres, however given its a script written by Himesh Reshammiya’s, chances of sustaining are close to zilch. My Prediction: 60 crores+
So to summarise, I reckon Once Upon A Time in Mumbai 2 will be Akshay’s best film, Rowdy Rathore his biggest hit, and Joker 3D a disaster. Could potentially be a superb year for Akshay, with 3 hits, 1 average grosser, and one unfortunate flop.
What do you think? Do you agree with Taha? Tell us in the comments section below