Before the theatrical release of Yash Chopra’s Jab Tak Hai Jaan, there was tremendous curiosity in the trade. Can Jab Tak Hai Jaan beat Ek Tha Tiger to be the year’s biggest grosser? If it does, can it go on to finally cross the 202 mark of 3 Idiots, thereby also joining the 200 crore club?
3 Idiots, currently holds the record for the highest grossing Hindi film in history. The record was set in 2009. Since then, every big ‘superstar’ release was expected to surpass the Aamir Khan classic. Ek Tha Tiger came close, but finished it’s record-smashing run 2 crores short of the 202 crore target.
Below, we track Jab Tak Hai Jaan’s box office figures day wise and compare it to Ek Tha Tiger and 3 Idiots. This page will also be updated everyday with predictions.
Note: Due to fewer screens and competition, the opening weekend of JTHJ is unlikely to come close to ETT. In the long run, with good word-of-mouth and family audience coming out in numbers to watch Yash Chopra’s last film.. who knows?
- 13th November: Shahrukh Khan’s Jab Tak Hai Jaan opens well on 2500 screens in India. Business at mass centres affected due to competition from Son Of Sardar. Also, the runtime of 3 hours has resulted in fewer shows at multiplexes. Diwali festivities in most parts of the country, considerably reduces occupancy for afternoon / evening shows. Day 1: 15.2 crore
- 14th November: Picked up all over India by more than 30% to record a healthy two day total. Again, SOS affected collections in North India. Day 2: 19.54 crore
- 15th November: Expected drop on Thursday. Nothing major. JTHJ continues to do well at multiplexes across India. Super strong in West Bengal, Nizam/Andhra and Mysore. At this point, after 3 days (considered to be the first weekend), Ek Tha Tiger leads with 60.34 cr, followed by Jab Tak Hai Jaan 49.22 cr and 3 Idiots with 40 cr (incl preview shows).
- 16th November: Will be updated soon with official figures. Early estimates suggest a 30% drop.
- 17th November: Business dropped on Saturday as theatres in Maharashtra were shut down after the passing away of Bal Thackeray.
- 18th November (Sunday) : While the all India business picked up by 10%, all theatres in Maharashtra remained shut. The records of 3 Idiots and Ek Tha Tiger out of reach now.
- 19th November: The film dropped considerably on it’s first weekend (Monday).
- 20th November: Dropped again by 13%. Business in Maharashtra was back to normal, but didn’t help the total.
|Day||3 Idiots (Official)||Jab Tak Hai Jaan (Official)||Ek Tha Tiger (Official)|
|Day 1||12.5 crores (Christmas)||15.23 crores (Diwali)||32.92 crores (Holiday)|
|Day 2||11.5 crores||19.54 crores||14.52 crores|
|Day 3||13.5 crores (Sunday)||14.45 crores||12.90 crores|
|Day 4||11 crores||11.17 crores||16.75 crores|
|Day 5||9.5 crores||10.38 crores||23.06 crores (Sunday)|
|Day 6||9 crores||9.96 crore||20.64 crores (EID)|
|Day 7||10 crores||5.36 crore||16.31 crores|
|First Week||79.5 crores||86.09 crore||137.15 crores|
|Day 8||11 crores (New Year)||4.66 crore||10.45 crores|
|Day 9||10.5 crores||6.61 crores|
|Day 10||12.5 crores (Sunday)||4.53 crores|
|Day 11||6 crores||7.00 crores|
|Day 12||5.75 crores||9.18 crores (Sunday)|
|Day 13||5.25 crores||2.92 crores|
|Day 14||5 crores||2.60 crores|
|Two Week Total||136 crores||180.44 crores|
|Day 15||4 crores||2.39 crores|
|Day 16||7 crores||1.97 crores|
|Day 17||8 crores (Sunday)||1.25 crores|
|Day 18||3.25 crores||2.11 crores|
|Day 19||3 crores||3.15 crores (Sunday)|
|Day 20||2.75 crores||0.88 crore|
|Day 21||2.5 crores||0.86 crore|
|Three Week Total||166.5 crores||193.05 crores|
|Day 22||2.25 crores||1.04 crore|
|Day 23||3.25 crores||0.71 crore|
|Day 24||4 crores (Sunday)||0.42 crore|
|Total till fourth weekend||176 crores||195.22 crores|
|Remaining weeks||26.5 crores||4.44 crores|
|Lifetime Collections||202.5 crores||90.75 crores approx (8 days)||199.66 crores|