2012 could well be the year when the benchmark for Bollywood movies could go higher. Yes, we are talking about the 200 crore club!
Over the last few years, with the rise of multiplexes at every nook and corner of the country, the movie business in India has boomed. 2011 was a great year for Bollywood with 5 films (Ready, Singham, Bodyguard, Ra One, Don 2) crossing the 100 crore mark. Films like Bodyguard and Ra One did 100 crores of business in Week 1! Which makes us wonder, what if they were better films and carried good word-of-mouth?
As of now the 200 crore club belongs to Aamir Khan’s 3 Idiots, but in 2012, there could be an addition(s) to the 200 crore club.
Possible 200 crore movies in 2012, as long the films are superior content-wise:
- Agneepath: Reason: Hrithik Roshan after ZNMD success, massy film, Chikni chameli song.
- Talaash: Reason: Aamir Khan after the super-success of 3 Idiots. First film after 2.5 years.
- Ek Tha Tiger: Reason: Salman Khan on a career high, Katrina Kaif, action thriller, first Salman film after 1 year, EID release.
- Dabangg 2: Reason: Salman Khan, Christmas release, sequel to a super successful film, massy action film.
- Chennai Express: Reason: Shahrukh Khan and Rohit Shetty (director of films like Singham, Golmaal Series).
Further narrowing it down, Talaash, Dabangg 2 and Chennai Express will most likely come close or surpass 3 Idiots.
2013: Too early to predict buttwo films as of now that could join the 200 crore club..
- Dhoom 3: Reason: Aamir Khan, the Dhoom series is probably the most successful franchisee in Bollywood today.
- Krissh 3: Reason: Hrithik Roshan and father Rakesh Roshan coming together after 7 years. They have a 100% success ratio together.
This does not mean, these are the only films that can enter the 200 crore club and nor is it an effort to bring down any other film or superstar. There may well be other films that can achieve this magical figure, as long as the whole package is great.
A movie with a superstar, a good script, director and great songs. For instance the untitled Yash Chopra movie with Shahrukh Khan in it and/or any other film releasing that is touted to cross the 100 crore net box office mark in India could well go on to set higher benchmarks.
Note: Article by Indicine reader ‘Anonymous’. Indicine has edited the article and also made a few additions to the list.
What do you think? Do tell us in the comments section below