January: The biggest releases in January 2015 were Baby and Tevar. Both films failed to make it to the Top 3. Akshay Kumar’s Baby got close, but fell short by around 5 crore.
- Agneepath (121 cr) - Hrithik Roshan
- Jai Ho (112 cr) - Salman Khan
- Race 2 (101 cr) - Saif Ali Khan and John Abraham
February: Major releases of February 2015 were Roy starring Ranbir Kapoor in an extended special appearance and Badlapur starring Varun Dhawan. Again, both films failed to get close to Akshay’s Special 26 or the highest collecting February movie Gunday.
- Gunday (78 cr) - Ranveer Singh and Arjun Kapoor
- My Name Is Khan (73 cr) - Shahrukh Khan
- Special 26 (69 cr) – Akshay Kumar
March: Only one major film releases in March, Anushka Sharma’s NH10, it feel well short of the Top 3. The target wasn’t huge, but for female centric films, crossing the 50 crore mark is a big deal!
- Race (63 cr) – Saif Ali Khan
- Queen (62 cr) – Kangana Ranaut
- Kahaani (59 cr) – Vidya Balan
April: Sunny Leone’s Ek Paheli Leela and Emraan Hashmi’s Mr X were the big releases. Both tanked at the box office. For the 4th consecutive month this year, no film has entered the Top 3.
- Housefull 2 (116 cr) - Akshay Kumar and John Abraham
- 2 States (102 cr) – Arjun Kapoor
- Aashiqui 2 (81 cr) – Aditya Roy Kapoor
May: The month of May was huge for Bollywood. Akshay Kumar’s Gabbar Is Back, Amitabh Bachchan and Deepika Padukone’s Piku, Ranbir Kapoor’s Bombay Velvet and Kangana Ranaut’s Tanu Weds Manu Returns released. Two films made it to the Top 3, dislodging Shootout at Wadala (62 cr) and Fanaa (53 cr). But the No 1 film held on to its top spot, even though Tanu Weds Manu Returns did the unthinkable.
- Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani (189 cr) – Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns (151 cr) – Kangana Ranaut
- Gabbar Is Back (87 cr) – Akshay Kumar
June: Zoya Akhtar’s Dil Dhadakne Do, Emraan Hashmi’s Hamari Adhuri Kahani and ABCD 2 starring Varun Dhawan and Shraddha Kapoor were the big releases of the month. ABCD 2 is likely to finish at around the 110 crore mark, which won’t be good enough to beat Akshay’s Holiday.
- Rowdy Rathore (134 cr) – Akshay Kumar
- Ready (121 cr) – Salman Khan
- Holiday (113 cr) – Akshay Kumar
July: It was Salman vs Salman is July and the superstar has surpassed his previous highest grosser by a huge margin of 87 crore! Salman has also dominated the month of July with his Eid releases. Baahubali Hindi also made it to the Top 3, by far the biggest Hindi dubbed film of all time. Drishyam didn’t make it to the Top 3.
- Bajrangi Bhaijaan (320 cr) – Salman Khan
- Kick (233 cr) – Salman Khan
- Baahubali (116 cr) - Prabhas, Rana Daggubati
August: Brothers was the biggest release of the month and there were expectations of the film doing 150 crore at the box office. However, the collections of the film came crashing down after a fairly successful first weekend. The Top 3 highest grossers remain unchanged, dominated by Salman and Shahrukh. All three are Eid releases. Phantom releases tomorrow, but that film has little or no chance of crossing the collections of Bodyguard.
- Chennai Express (227 cr) - Shahrukh Khan
- Ek Tha Tiger (199 cr) - Salman Khan
- Bodyguard (145 cr) – Salman Khan
September: Hero, Welcome Back and Katti Batti are the big films in September this year. To make it to the Top 3, the target is a 100 crore grosser.
- Dabangg (140 cr) - Salman
- Barfi! (106 cr) – Ranbir Kapoor
- Grand Masti (100 cr) – Ritesh Deshmukh and Vivek Oberoi
October: Akshay Kumar and Prabhu Deva’s Singh Is Bling releases on Gandhi Jayanti. Aishwarya Rai Bachchan’s Jazbaa and Shahid Kapoor’s Shandaar are the other big releases. The target is Shahrukh Khan’s 4 year old film Ra One.
- Happy New Year (204 cr) - Shahrukh Khan
- Bang Bang (181 cr) - Hrithik Roshan
- Ra.One (125 cr) – Shahrukh Khan
November: Salman Khan’s Prem Ratan Dhan Payo will be up against Hrithik’s Krrish 3. The other big film is Ranbir Kapoor’s Tamasha. Both films have the potential to make it to the Top 3 and given the form that Salman Khan is in, PRDP is set to take the biggest star of 2015 and possibly the biggest of all time.
- Krrish 3 (244 cr) – Hrithik Roshan
- Jab Tak Hai Jaan (120 cr) - Shahrukh Khan
- Ram Leela (116 cr) – Ranveer Singh
December: The Christmas weekend has been dominated by Aamir Khan over the years. Stars like Akshay Kumar (Tees Maar Khan), Shahrukh Khan (Don 2) and Salman Khan (Dabangg 2) have tried their luck, but Aamir is in a league of his own in December. Unfortunately, he has no Christmas release this year. It will be Rohit Shetty who teams up with Shahrukh Khan, Kajol, Varun Dhawan and Kriti Sanon. The last time SRK and Rohit did a film together, they delivered the biggest grosser of all time. Will history repeat itself? The target last time around was the 4 year old record of 3 Idiots. But Aamir and Hirani have set the benchmark way higher this time. Plus, Sanjay Leela Bhansali will be releasing Bajirao Mastani during Christmas.
- PK (340 cr) – Aamir Khan
- Dhoom 3 (285 cr) – Aamir Khan
- 3 Idiots (202 cr) – Aamir Khan
- Jan – Hrithik Roshan
- Feb – Ranveer and Arjun
- Mar – Saif Ali Khan
- Apr – Akshay Kumar
- May – Ranbir Kapoor
- Jun – Akshay Kumar
- Jul – Salman Khan
- Aug – Shahrukh Khan
- Sep – Salman Khan
- Oct – Shahrukh Khan
- Nov – Hrithik Roshan
- Dec – Aamir Khan
Salman, SRK, Akshay and Hrithik have two highest grossers of the month. Ranbir, Aamir, Ranveer, Arjun and Saif have one each.
Article idea and Credit: Saksham Duggal