There is a huge section of the audience for Satyamev Jayate (mostly our readers based in US and UK), who cannot understand Hindi but are still keen on watching the popular talk show. On Star World, Satyamev Jayate is aired with english subtitles.
This week’s episode is about ‘Honor Killing’. There are several key issues that were raised today..
- Is love still a crime in our country?
- Do the cops in India consider love marriages as illegal?
- In our country, is caste and religion more important than life itself?
- The issue of Khap Panchayat (caste based council) is discussed. They have no judicial right, but still decide on the couples fate. One of the Panchayat leader says they never order honor killing.
- Parents should give freedom to their kids to love. Agree or no?
- The supreme court of India supports inter-caste marriages.
- When a couple decide to spend the rest of their lives today, do family and relatives have the right to separate them? Shouldn’t they be more accepting? Shouldn’t the happiness of their children be given the utmost priority?
Loved what Aamir Khan said at the very end of the show
In every parents heart there is much hope, many dreams, aspirations for their children. I am a father and I know this feeling. But sometimes, the wishes of our children, their dreams are different from ours. If this happens when they are adults, we should not try to force them.
To youngsters, I wish to say that marriage is one of the most important decisions in life. You should involve your parents and family members in making the decision. Take advantage of their experiences, take their opinion. Your parents have seen many more years than you and they love you! They are your biggest well-wishers.
I want to tell parents that, they should also establish such a relationship with their children, that they can openly discuss their issues with you. We ought to respect our children, their viewpoints and emotions.
Question of the week – When two adults decide to marry and want to spend their lives together, does society or their families have the right to break the marriage or prevent it from happening through force?
If your answer is yes, type Y and send it to 5782711. If your answer is no, type N and send it to the same number 5782711.
Watch the full Satyamev Jayate Episode 5 below and do tell us what you think.
- Satyamev Jayate Episode 1 (Female Foeticide)
- Satyamev Jayate Episode 2 (Child Sexual Abuse)
- Satyamev Jayate Episode 3 (Big Fat Indian Wedding)
- Satyamev Jayate Episode 4 (Is love a crime?)