Episode 4 of Satyamev Jayate, a popular chat show hosted by Aamir Khan. After spreading awareness on Female Foeticide, Child Sexual Abuse and Dowry Harrasment, this week, the show deals with Malpractice of Doctors.
Of all the episodes so far, we loved this week’s episode the most. Some of the key points that the show put forward
- Atleast 6% of a country’s GDP should be spent on health care – India is spending just 1.4%
- Some doctors ask for more than 30% commission from pharmaceutical companies.
- In 2001, 31 government medical colleges and 106 private colleges were opened. The donation charged at some of the private institutions was around 60 lakhs for a medical seat!
- Shocking: About 65% of the Indian population can’t afford basic medicines.
- Another shocking fact: Medicines purchased from generic stores are much cheaper. For example, a branded diabetes medicine costs Rs 100+ per tablet, those purchased using generic names cost less than Rs 2 for 10 tablets!
Episode 4 Message : Rich or poor everyone deserves and should get the same kind of quality medical treatment.
This week’s question – Should every state government follow the example of Rajasthan and open generic medicine stores throughout their state, so that all citizens can get medicines at the lowest possible price.
Type Y or N to 5782711. You can send as many smses as you want to. Cost will be Re 1 per SMS. After taxes, the entire amount will be given away to charity.
You can watch the full episode below with subtitles
Synopsis: People trust medical practitioners, believing that they are equipped with the knowledge and skills to safeguard their health. But when this knowledge is misused to exploit this trust, medical care becomes a nightmare. The profession is riddled with unscrupulous doctors and hospitals out to make big bucks at the cost of patients, but there are still medical practitioners who stand up for the Hippocratic Oath, and those who want to clean up the profession.
Also, you can watch all episodes of Satyameva Jayate for free, right here on Indicine. Every Sunday by around 1 PM Indian Standard time. Below are the last two episodes. Do watch it, if you missed it.
- Satyamev Jayate Episode 1 (Female Foeticide)
- Satyamev Jayate Episode 2 (Child Sexual Abuse)
- Satyamev Jayate Episode 3 (Big Fat Indian Wedding)