The first day collections of Tezz has shocked the trade. The film has opened to disastrous numbers collecting Rs 3.5 crore all over India, a figure that is lower than the opening of Abhishek Bachchan’s Players.
The big question then – Is Ajay Devgan a bankable star at the box-office? Let’s take a look at some of his films from 2010.
- Atithi Tum Kab Jaoge – Opened poorly, worked because the film was liked.
- Raajneeti – A multistarrer with popular stars like Ranbir Kapoor and Katrina Kaif.
- Once Upon a Time in Mumbai – Hit music, a production house known for marketing films well, Emraan Hashmi who has a huge fan-following of his own.
- Aakrosh – Non-starter at the box-office.
- Golmaal 3 – A successful comedy franchisee, Rohit Shetty as the director.
- Dil Toh Baccha Hai Ji – Was a reasonably good success, but again a multi-starrer with Emraan Hashmi.
- Singham – Masala action film directed by Rohit Shetty
- Rascals – Opened poorly, disaster.
- Tezz – Shockingly poor opening numbers.
Apart from films directed by Rohit Shetty and a few multi-starrers, none of Ajay Devgan’s films – where he was the sole crowd puller – has worked at the box-office.
A bankable star is someone who guarantees a good initial, irrespective of the films content. Currently in Bollywood, there are only 6 such ‘superstars’ – Salman Khan, Aamir Khan, Shahrukh Khan and Hrithik Roshan belong to the top league, followed by Akshay Kumar and Ranbir Kapoor.
Imran Khan and Emraan Hashmi have been consistent, but not quite in the same league as the Top 6.
What do you think? Share your thoughts in the comments section below.