Dharma Productions, the company founded by the late Yash Johar way back in 1976, produced a few memorable films like Dostana (1980) and Agneepath (1990). But it was Yash Johar’s son Karan who took the company to the next level. It all started with his directorial debut ‘Kuch Kuch Hota Hai’, which went on to be one of the biggest blockbusters in the history of Indian Cinema. Soon after, Dharma churned out super-successful films like ‘Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham’, ’Kal Ho Naa Ho’, ‘My Name is Khan’ and ‘Agneepath’.
The banner had 3 releases in 2012 – while ‘Agneepath’ was a huge hit, ‘Ek Main Aur Ek Tu’ did above average business. Student Of The Year was Karan’s first film without established superstars, in fact the film went on to be one of the biggest hits of 2012 even though it launched three new faces.
In the next couple of years, the production house has several interesting films lined up for release. Below is a detailed list of all Dharma Production films in 2013 and 2014
1. Gippi: When one of Bollywood’s biggest producers like Karan Johar decides to produce a small budget 4 crore film like Gippi, you automatically know there must be something very special about it. Gippi is a story of a 13 year old kid, played by Delhi girl Riya Vij. Ayan Mukherji’s assistant from ‘Wake Up Sid’, Sonam Nair, makes her debut as a director. The most interesting facet of Sonam directing Gippi is that she is the first lady debutante director to be launched by Dharma Productions. We think this could turn out to be one of the little gems of 2013
2. Yeh Jawani Hai Deewani: One of the biggest movies of 2013, YJHD has ex-couple Ranbir Kapoor and Deepika Padukone as it’s lead pair. It is directed by Ayan Mukerji who had earlier directed ‘Wake Up Sid’ for Dharma Productions. The music of the movie is catching on like a house on fire and the party is all set to begin from May 31. The trade has high expectations from the film too. Will YJHD be the first 100 crore hit of 2013?
3. Ungli: Rensil D Silva’s last film ‘Kurbaan’ was received well by the critics, but was a rare failure for Dharma Productions. The director’s next ‘Ungli’ features Emraan Hashmi, Sanjay Dutt, Randeep Hooda , Kangna Ranaut and Neha Dhupia. Not much is known about the film, which is expected to release later this year.
4. Gori Tere Pyaar Mein: Directed by Punit Malhotra, this movie has Imran Khan, Kareena Kapoor and Shradhdha Kapoor in pivotal roles. Punit started his directorial career with Dharma’s ‘I Hate Lov Storys’. Earlier he had worked as an assistant director in K3G and Kal Ho Na Ho. ‘Gori Tere Pyaar Mein’ is expected to release on November 15th 2013.
5. Hasee Toh Phasee: Co-produced by Dharma Productions and Phantom Films, HTP has Sidharth Malhotra and Parineeta Chopra in the lead. Ad director Vinil Mathew will make his directorial debut with this movie. Sidharth began his acting career in 2012 with ‘Student of the Year’ and he’d be hoping with the banner is a bigger success. Hasee Toh Phasee releases 24 January 2014.
6. 2 States: Based on Chetan Bhagat’s popular novel with the same title, 2 States is co-produced by Dharma Productions and Sajid Nadiadwala. It will be the fourth Chetan Bhagat novel that will be adapted into a feature film after Hello (One Night At Call Centre), 3 Idiots (Five Point Someone) and Kai Po Che (The Three Mistakes Of My Life). 2 States, directed by Abhishek Varman, has Arjun Kapoor and Alia Bhatt in lead roles.
7. Shuddhi: Undoubtedly the biggest upcoming Dharma Production film, ‘Shuddhi’ is directed by Karan Malhotra of ‘Agneepath’ fame. The movie will be shot in Hardiwar and if rumours are to be believed, the film is based on a reincarnation tale. There are also reports that the world might finally get to be Hrithik Roshan and Kareena Kapoor sharing screen-space once again after 10 years!
8. Gutka: Akshay Kumar is confirmed to play the lead role in this Dharma Production to be directed by Punit Malhotra. Punit’s kitty is full as he will start shooting for Gutka immediately after wrapping up ‘Gori Tere Pyaar Mein’. Arjun Kapoor will play the second male lead, while the leading lady is yet to be officially announced.
9. Dostana 2: The sequel to Dharma’s 2008 surprise hit ‘Dostana’ will have John Abraham and Abhishek Bachchan reprising their roles from the original. The leading lady for this movie has not been finalized yet. Tarun Mansukhani will direct the sequel as well.
10. Akshay Roy’s untitled film: In this Balaji and Dharma co-production, Emraan Hashmi will star opposite Kareena Kapoor. This is Emraan’s 2nd movie with both Dharma and Balaji after ‘Ungli’ and ‘Ek Thi Daayan’ respectively.
Apart from these, official confirmation is awaited for 2 huge movies – KJo’s next directorial venture with Shahrukh Khan and Rohit Shetty’s next with Salman Khan.
(Bookmark this page, we will update as soon as it is announced officially).
The most exciting upcoming movie of Dharma productions? Vote Now, you can pick 3 films!
Abhishek Sharma tweets @abhu_sharma
Ofcourse Shuddhi…Agneepath was Big BlockBuster…same team will rock for sure !
Shddhi will the biggest opening among these Dharma Production movies
Shuddhi wll be great.. Wait is killing me..
What sort of names are these.. ungli, gutka, gippi, shuddhii!!. Hoping for more names from Dharma production like cigarette, towel, tea, shampoo, shoes etc. Karan johar should stay away from salman khan else more weird name will come for Dharma
Gori tere pyar me…!!
Shuddhi will be an all time blockbuster.
why is it written that ” Will YJHD be the first 100 crore hit of 2013?” as Race 2 had already joined the 100 crore club. Please correct it.
Shuddhi,Gutka (looks interesting with Akshay and Arjun Kapoor) and Ungli.
While YJHD,Gori tere pyar mein and 2 states are looking very dull and average movies.
only SHUDDHI will be a class movie both commercially n critically !!! Hrithik with agneepath team will once again set the box office on fire !!!!! cast is unconfirmed, shooting not started, no knowledge about story, no trailer nothing and still shuddhi is mosty awaited from now on, so you can imagine the intensity of that movie…….!!!
@soroop, what are you saying ??? gippi is a name of a girl , and what wrong did you find in shuddhi ??? its a very beautiful name which means purification, rest names ungli and gutka are according to script, aur waise v naam mein kya hai, the story should be good.
i will say gutka .
but even before the casting,story,first look,release date.
it is very foolish to discuss which is better
Gutka is buddy cops movie fully loaded with action. It will be hugely succesfull along with shudhi. Shudhi will also be good. 3rd comes dostana 2.
@ravi, acording to boi race 2 had collected 96 cr. Officials figures say 110 cr.
dostana 2, for only abhishek’s sense of humor
Dostana 2, John and abhishek with Katrina, sizzling chemestry.
Yeh jawani hey diwani
Abhishek’s *DOSTANA 2*
Shuddhi has to be their one of the biggest projects ever.
My top 3 would be Shuddhi, Yeh jawani hai diwani and Dostana 2.
Shudhi looks more exciting coz of hrithik and agneepath team. But i have a feeling that it would be a slow film.
Yeh jawani hai diwani looks interesting coz of ranbir and deepika and also coz its a multiplex targetted film which we rarely get these days from top stars.
Dostana 2 coz i enjoyd its 1st part.
Also heard 2 states is a great novel so looking forward to it too
only shudhi, hrithik rocks
waiting for suddhi & ungli
@Sumeet. I didnt know gippi is a girls name, its nice name similiar to Guddi. Nothing wrong in Shuddi yarr but name is not exciting. But Ungli and Gutka are funny names. Name does matter little bit coz nowadays, name,promos, trailer, actors are important things which give film a weekend boost.
Dostana2 ..but PK will rule in 2014 so y bother
shuddhiiiiiiiiiiiiii hrithik roshan of courrse
Hrithik Roshan gav Dharma productions its first 100 crore movie AGNEEPATH , so wid SHUDDHI , dey vl go one step further !!!! no doubt d movie vl b awesum , wid diwali release , it vl a perfect celebrating family entertainer wich evry1 cn watch !!
lol people commenting dostana 2, abhishek and john , both don’t know the the thing ACTING, if katrina kaif joins them, ho gaya kalyan, there is nothing exciting about dostana 2.
my choice is shuddhi and then yjhd,gutka.
Dharma Productions legacy continues
Shuddhi All The Way!