Film critic and trade analyst Joginder Tuteja answers a few questions from Indicine readers. “Will Madhuri Dixit make a successful comeback with Dedh Ishqiya”, “Will Emraan Hashmi’s Ghanchakkar cross 100 crores?”, “Who is the most consistent Khan in the last 20 years” and more, will be answered tomorrow. Stay tuned.
1. Going by the trailer of ‘Khiladi 786’, it looks if it is in the same genre as ‘Dabbang’. So will ‘Dabbang 2’ have any impact on ‘Khiladi 786’? – Vaibhav Deshpande
- Yes, arrival of ‘Dabangg 2’ would have an impact on ‘Khiladi 786’; after all an open week ahead is beneficial for every film. However the impact would be more due to two biggies arriving in back to back films than because of the genre. Moreover, ‘Khiladi 786’ would have earned a major chunk of it’s moolah in the first week itself.
2. Kapoor is now far away from his contemporaries like Emraan Hashmi, Ranbir Kapoor and Imran Khan? What do you expect from his upcoming films like ‘Namak’ and ‘Phata Poster Nikla Hero’? – Devendra
- Yes, he is indeed far away from the names you mention. After ‘Kaminey’, he was in a very strong position but his subsequent films have failed him. However, let’s not forget that he is talented enough to bounce back. ‘Namak’ (Prabhudheva) as well as ‘Phata Poster Nikla Hero’ (Rajkumar Santoshi) are good on paper at the least. Competition for Shahid has intensified though since other than Ranbir, Emraan and Imran, there are also Ranveer Singh, Arjun Kapoor and now Varun Dhawan to contend. Just to stay on in Top-10 would be a challenge.
3. Just on the basis of box office, who is a bigger star? Ranbir Kapoor or Emraan Hashmi? – Arjun Singh
- Ranbir Kapoor. To pull audience for a film like ‘Barfi!’ is no mean feat and with the films super success, he has managed further rise in popularity and stardom.
4. According to you, what is Hrithik Roshan’s position after ‘Agneepath’ and ‘Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara’ in the industry? Can ‘Krrish 3’ take him to the Number One position – Harsh Soni
- After these two films, Hrithik has further strengthened his position amongst Top-6 with him and Ajay Devgn battling it out for the fifth slot. The maximum distance that he can cover after ‘Krrish 3’ is to find a place in Top-3. However he needs to be releasing two films a year and see a good success rate before being seriously considered for the Number One position. (Indicine: In 2006, tops stars like Shahrukh Khan (Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna, Don) and Aamir Khan (Rang De Basanti, Fanna) had two releases each, but it was Hrithik’s year with 2 major blockbusters (Krrish, Dhoom 2). He couldn’t sustain the top spot because, his next release (Jodha Akbar) was a good year and a half later. In between, SRK had two blockbusters (Chak De India, Om Shanti Om) and regained the top spot.)
5. What are your expectations from ‘Race2’? Can Saif Ali Khan and Deepika Padukone expect to enter the 100 crore club with the film – Janak
- ‘Race 2’ is red hot amongst the audience, industry and trade. Moreover, amongst all the sequels/franchises being made today, this and ‘Once Upon A Time In Mumbaai 2’ are the most awaited ones since they are taking the actual story forward. Moreover they have a huge recall value and people want to know what happened to the characters. It is a given that the film would give Saif as well as Deepika a 100 crore success and that too by a huge margin.
You can ask Joginder a question – just fill the form below. Please don’t ask him about the screen count of Jab Tak Hai Jaan and Son of Sardar. We’ve received the same question more than 500 times over the last two weeks. Simple answer – no one knows!
If your question is selected, it will be answered next Sunday or Monday.
[contact-form-7 id=”40462″ title=”Ask Joginder”]