Film critic and trade analyst Joginder Tuteja answers a few questions from Indicine readers. “Will Madhuri Dixit make a successful comeback with Dedh Ishqiya”, “Will Emraan Hashmi’s Ghanchakkar cross 100 crores?”, “Who is the most consistent Khan in the last 20 years” and more, will be answered tomorrow. Stay tuned.
1. Going by the trailer of ‘Khiladi 786’, it looks if it is in the same genre as ‘Dabbang’. So will ‘Dabbang 2’ have any impact on ‘Khiladi 786’? – Vaibhav Deshpande
- Yes, arrival of ‘Dabangg 2’ would have an impact on ‘Khiladi 786’; after all an open week ahead is beneficial for every film. However the impact would be more due to two biggies arriving in back to back films than because of the genre. Moreover, ‘Khiladi 786’ would have earned a major chunk of it’s moolah in the first week itself.
2. Kapoor is now far away from his contemporaries like Emraan Hashmi, Ranbir Kapoor and Imran Khan? What do you expect from his upcoming films like ‘Namak’ and ‘Phata Poster Nikla Hero’? – Devendra
- Yes, he is indeed far away from the names you mention. After ‘Kaminey’, he was in a very strong position but his subsequent films have failed him. However, let’s not forget that he is talented enough to bounce back. ‘Namak’ (Prabhudheva) as well as ‘Phata Poster Nikla Hero’ (Rajkumar Santoshi) are good on paper at the least. Competition for Shahid has intensified though since other than Ranbir, Emraan and Imran, there are also Ranveer Singh, Arjun Kapoor and now Varun Dhawan to contend. Just to stay on in Top-10 would be a challenge.
3. Just on the basis of box office, who is a bigger star? Ranbir Kapoor or Emraan Hashmi? – Arjun Singh
- Ranbir Kapoor. To pull audience for a film like ‘Barfi!’ is no mean feat and with the films super success, he has managed further rise in popularity and stardom.
4. According to you, what is Hrithik Roshan’s position after ‘Agneepath’ and ‘Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara’ in the industry? Can ‘Krrish 3’ take him to the Number One position – Harsh Soni
- After these two films, Hrithik has further strengthened his position amongst Top-6 with him and Ajay Devgn battling it out for the fifth slot. The maximum distance that he can cover after ‘Krrish 3’ is to find a place in Top-3. However he needs to be releasing two films a year and see a good success rate before being seriously considered for the Number One position. (Indicine: In 2006, tops stars like Shahrukh Khan (Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna, Don) and Aamir Khan (Rang De Basanti, Fanna) had two releases each, but it was Hrithik’s year with 2 major blockbusters (Krrish, Dhoom 2). He couldn’t sustain the top spot because, his next release (Jodha Akbar) was a good year and a half later. In between, SRK had two blockbusters (Chak De India, Om Shanti Om) and regained the top spot.)
5. What are your expectations from ‘Race2’? Can Saif Ali Khan and Deepika Padukone expect to enter the 100 crore club with the film – Janak
- ‘Race 2’ is red hot amongst the audience, industry and trade. Moreover, amongst all the sequels/franchises being made today, this and ‘Once Upon A Time In Mumbaai 2’ are the most awaited ones since they are taking the actual story forward. Moreover they have a huge recall value and people want to know what happened to the characters. It is a given that the film would give Saif as well as Deepika a 100 crore success and that too by a huge margin.
You can ask Joginder a question – just fill the form below. Please don’t ask him about the screen count of Jab Tak Hai Jaan and Son of Sardar. We’ve received the same question more than 500 times over the last two weeks. Simple answer – no one knows!
If your question is selected, it will be answered next Sunday or Monday.
[contact-form-7 id=”40462″ title=”Ask Joginder”]
I simply cannot agree with what you’ve said. Your saying Hrithik Roshan is battling it out for the 6th spot with Ajay Devgn? Seriously? Name one Ajay Devgn hit without Rohit Shetty?
Tezz and Rascals didn’t even manage a face saving opening. Hrithik’s Kites was the biggest opener back then, even though the film didn’t work.
I’ve been reading your answers.. but when it comes to Top 6 you always seem to be mention Ajay Devgn and not Hrithik.
Let me tell you something.. Hrithik is way ahead of Ajay Devgn when it comes to popularity and star power!
Barfi worked because it was critically acclaimed. Not because of Ranbir Kapoor. Opening was less than Raaz 3
mr joginder ,dnt evr say again dt hrithik is @ 5th place plz…hrithik iz @ no.4 rite nw..he iz way ahead f akshay kumar…joker dint evn cllect frstday collectin f agneepath nd same with ajay s tezz…hrithik nevr gves disasters lyk those…evn guzarish clectd 30 cr net bein a non entertaining genre…sm wait fr 1 mre yr nd u l knw wt hrithks stamina iz…aftr krish he l dfntly b no.3 nd aftr knit n day remake he l b 2 or 1.
placing hrithik behind akshay and ajay devgan….is a joke of the century….i m sure the writer is a anti-hrithik….
next 4 or 5 yrs salman will rule the box office……so no chance for hritik or srk to be at no.1 spot
hritik is most overrated actor really hated his acting in kmg
Joginder is always Anti-Hrithik, his Favs r Ajay n Akki loved movie like Epic Disaster Joker Tezz n Rascals…LoL
@Haterz Dude Jodha akbar was a Hit in India n BlockBuster overseas, znmd was SuperHit n Agneepath BlockBuster..
JODHA akbar is avg not even semi hit….ranbir is better actor thn hritik
Hrithik is internationally more popular than ajay but in india ajay is slightly more popular among masses than hrithik.
@atul i agree with you
Dear JOginder ji, Hrithik is still among the top 5 actors. obviously Salman is No.1 but after that no.2-5 is very much variable with Aamir, Hrithik, Shahruk & Akshay.
srk fans, pls STOP tryin to cause fan wars between fans of other stars. Hrithik-Ranbir fans are always united. dont try to cause confusion between them.
Srk and hrithik rocks!
come on guys, Hrithik is far better than Ajay, Srk & Akshay. even his non-promoted films open big. Dhoom:2, Krrish & Agneepath were least promoted but had record opening. if this is not star power than what is??
today also i think Hrithik is the 2nd biggest star after Salman.
Hrithik must gain number 1 top spot he deserves,
Haters of Hrithik are working overtime, giving most weird reasons for super success of Znmd n Agneepath in comment section to pull Hrithik down. Good going Haters. Keep it Up.
cn srk fans get out of this word ‘overseas’???
Ajay devgan! Who is he, i never heard his name? I think he is some dark bhojpuri actor and hrithik roshan! Who is he? I think he is only some stage dancer. Srk! Naam tho suna hoga, the most popular ga y actor in world with most number of ga y fans.
Hrithik is most underrated actor. He is wasting his talent in bollywood.
Lil wayne@brother now who said the word ‘overseas’ here???
Only you started that word right now. ..no one spoke about overseas
why ranbir kapoor is not in the 5th or 6th position after hrithik? he hasn’t given a flop since saawariya and his last two releases rockstar and barfi grossed more than patiala house, tezz, desi boys, joker, rascal and dil toh bachcha hai ji.
cn srk fans get out of these words “views”,”likes”,”dislikes”???????
Khan kapoor@but rockstar, or barfi didnt crossed housefull 2 and rowdy rathore….i think this was the reason why admin kept ranbir below than akki
1. Salman Khan
2. Hrithik Roshan
4. Akshay Kumar
5. Ranbir Kapoor
1. Aamir Khan
2. Hrithik Rosan
3. Ranbir Kapoor
4. Ajay Devgn
5. Shahruk Khan
Selfish srk@bete ra.one budget is not 175crs..
Its 135crs confirmed by komal nahta in the video link off Ra.one Economics….check on youtube he clearly said that ra.one is a clean hit…
Check in youtube ‘ra.one economics’ and get the facts true
4.akki/hritik/ajay….dnt 4get ‘Sanju Baba’
Selfish srk@no one was clear about the budget earlier….but later after the confirmation from komal and taran we got to no its budget was 135crs got it otherwise check ‘RA.ONE ECONOMICS’ by komal nahta on youtube..
He said ra.one is clean hit and srk as produces made 50-60crs worldwide
Selfish srk@dude ett collected 189crs nett and it was a blockbuster