It’s finally time for Yash Chopra’s swan song Jab Tak Hai Jaan to release in theatres worldwide. The grand premiere will be held in Mumbai today and Yashji’s will be sorely missed.
Coming to the box office, the advance booking for the Shahrukh Khan starrer has been fantastic all over. The film is set for a good opening at the box office on Tuesday. So what are the box office records that JTHJ chases this Diwali? Read on..
- First day : The first day record is currently held by Salman Khan’s Ek Tha Tiger, which collected Rs 31 crores on Day 1. This record is out of reach for Jab Tak Hai Jaan. Three reasons: One, the film is releasing on Diwali and like last year’s Ra One, the evening and night shows are likely to be affected by the Diwali festivities. Two, fewer screens compared to ETT. And three, another big film Son Of Sardaar also releases tomorrow and business will be divided.
- Biggest day : Another record that currently belongs to Salman and Ek Tha Tiger. Again, due to the clash and 20% fewer screens, the biggest day record is unlikely to be surpassed.
- First Weekend (3 days): The target is 57 crores in 3 days (again ETT). Jab Tak Hai Jaan has to average over 19 crores in 3 days. Possible but not probable.
- First Week (7 days): Salman’s Ek Tha Tiger and Bodyguard have both crossed 100 crores in 7 days. A solo release would have made it interesting. If the word-of-mouth is absolutely fantastic, JTHJ might just have a chance due to the extended 6 day weekend. It needs to average close to 17 crores to beat ETT.
- Second Weekend: With 34 crores in it’s second weekend, the 2009-10 record currently held 3 Idiots remains unbroken. Content will be the absolute king, if JTHJ has to come anywhere close. No amount of pre-release hype or star value can bring audience to theatres in the second weekend. If JTHJ takes this record, the one that follows will finally be history!
- Lifetime Collections: Ek Tha Tiger came close, but didn’t have enough fuel in it’s tank to eclipse the biggest blockbuster the industry has seen in the last decade – 3 Idiots. Can Jab Tak Hai Jaan cross 200 crores is what everyone seems to be asking. The increased ticket prices will help, but a lot would also depends on the repeat audience and the word-of-mouth the film carries. Even then, the release of Talaash on November 30th will have a major impact on the box office collections of JTHJ.
As for the individuals who are involved..
- Shahrukh Khan: His last failure was ‘Paheli’ more than 7 years ago. Even if his latest release turns out to be one of the biggest disappointments of the year, Jab Tak Hai Jaan is unlikely to flop. For SRK, Ra One and Don 2 both crossed the 100 crore mark. It is likely to be a hattrick with JTHJ. And who knows, this could also be his first 200 crore film!
- Katrina Kaif: Katrina finally scored a century with ETT, time for a double this time around? Either way, she is the top star in the industry today and with films like JTHJ, Dhoom 2, Knight and Day remake with Hrithik Roshan, she will continue to rule for the next few years.
- Anushka Sharma: A Yashraj favorite, JTHJ is likely to be Anushka’s first 100 crore film. Her upcoming films like Peekay and Matru Ki Bijli Ka Mandola could make her a serious contender for the top spot. For an industry outsider, who made her debut just 4 years back, she’s working with some of the best directors – Yash Chopra, Anurag Kashyap, Vishal Bharadwaj and Rajkumar Hirani!
- Yashraj Films: For obvious reasons, Jab Tak Hai Jaan will be a massive release for Yashraj Films. It’ll be a celebration of Yash Chopra – his eternal romantic tales, beautiful heroines, stunning locales and evergreen music.
So which of the above box office records can Jab Tak Hai Jaan break? Can the film beat 3 Idiots? Tell us in the comments section below. Stay tuned to Indicine for all the coverage.
If you liked reading the article, hit the ‘Like’ button below or share on Twitter.