It’s finally time for Yash Chopra’s swan song Jab Tak Hai Jaan to release in theatres worldwide. The grand premiere will be held in Mumbai today and Yashji’s will be sorely missed.
Coming to the box office, the advance booking for the Shahrukh Khan starrer has been fantastic all over. The film is set for a good opening at the box office on Tuesday. So what are the box office records that JTHJ chases this Diwali? Read on..
- First day : The first day record is currently held by Salman Khan’s Ek Tha Tiger, which collected Rs 31 crores on Day 1. This record is out of reach for Jab Tak Hai Jaan. Three reasons: One, the film is releasing on Diwali and like last year’s Ra One, the evening and night shows are likely to be affected by the Diwali festivities. Two, fewer screens compared to ETT. And three, another big film Son Of Sardaar also releases tomorrow and business will be divided.
- Biggest day : Another record that currently belongs to Salman and Ek Tha Tiger. Again, due to the clash and 20% fewer screens, the biggest day record is unlikely to be surpassed.
- First Weekend (3 days): The target is 57 crores in 3 days (again ETT). Jab Tak Hai Jaan has to average over 19 crores in 3 days. Possible but not probable.
- First Week (7 days): Salman’s Ek Tha Tiger and Bodyguard have both crossed 100 crores in 7 days. A solo release would have made it interesting. If the word-of-mouth is absolutely fantastic, JTHJ might just have a chance due to the extended 6 day weekend. It needs to average close to 17 crores to beat ETT.
- Second Weekend: With 34 crores in it’s second weekend, the 2009-10 record currently held 3 Idiots remains unbroken. Content will be the absolute king, if JTHJ has to come anywhere close. No amount of pre-release hype or star value can bring audience to theatres in the second weekend. If JTHJ takes this record, the one that follows will finally be history!
- Lifetime Collections: Ek Tha Tiger came close, but didn’t have enough fuel in it’s tank to eclipse the biggest blockbuster the industry has seen in the last decade – 3 Idiots. Can Jab Tak Hai Jaan cross 200 crores is what everyone seems to be asking. The increased ticket prices will help, but a lot would also depends on the repeat audience and the word-of-mouth the film carries. Even then, the release of Talaash on November 30th will have a major impact on the box office collections of JTHJ.
As for the individuals who are involved..
- Shahrukh Khan: His last failure was ‘Paheli’ more than 7 years ago. Even if his latest release turns out to be one of the biggest disappointments of the year, Jab Tak Hai Jaan is unlikely to flop. For SRK, Ra One and Don 2 both crossed the 100 crore mark. It is likely to be a hattrick with JTHJ. And who knows, this could also be his first 200 crore film!
- Katrina Kaif: Katrina finally scored a century with ETT, time for a double this time around? Either way, she is the top star in the industry today and with films like JTHJ, Dhoom 2, Knight and Day remake with Hrithik Roshan, she will continue to rule for the next few years.
- Anushka Sharma: A Yashraj favorite, JTHJ is likely to be Anushka’s first 100 crore film. Her upcoming films like Peekay and Matru Ki Bijli Ka Mandola could make her a serious contender for the top spot. For an industry outsider, who made her debut just 4 years back, she’s working with some of the best directors – Yash Chopra, Anurag Kashyap, Vishal Bharadwaj and Rajkumar Hirani!
- Yashraj Films: For obvious reasons, Jab Tak Hai Jaan will be a massive release for Yashraj Films. It’ll be a celebration of Yash Chopra – his eternal romantic tales, beautiful heroines, stunning locales and evergreen music.
So which of the above box office records can Jab Tak Hai Jaan break? Can the film beat 3 Idiots? Tell us in the comments section below. Stay tuned to Indicine for all the coverage.
If you liked reading the article, hit the ‘Like’ button below or share on Twitter.
Nothing matters only content matters if it will be good records will follow the movie and from here it is looking that the movie will be good at content.
opening days looks impossible. has a slight chance of breakin weekend reckord. if wom is extremely positive, 3idiot might be surpassed.
definate 200Cr plus..because of late Yash ji.
Billu barber and dulha mil gaya was last flop of srk..jthj will nt break any record..bcz dis diwali only son of sardaar..!
@Ajay, those films didn’t feature SRK in a lead role. Can’t count special appearances as failures. And, all comments are held for moderation. It will be checked and approved in 15-20 minutes.
Why my comment waiting moderation indicine
First day-18 crore,first weekend(6 days-100 crore,first week-125 crore,second week-40 crore,lifetime-180 crore,overseas-100 crore.
I would love to watch the film.That’s all.
im pretty sure it cant even come close to ETT and 3 idiots in india… MARK MY WORD!! all the previous records seem to be safe… DABANGG 2 is the only contender in this race..
JAB TAK HAI JAAN will break records for sure(although not the opening day),all the other records seem likely smashed.And as for us SRK will break records in our hearts again!!!
ETT wasn’t worthy to get such bussiness just becoz of crap minded masala lover fans film collected this much it also had the ticket prices hiked but failed to beat 3 idiots record. ETT had no story, where agents becum traitor and keep running here and there, no protection of country, no patriotism. Sunny’s Hero movie was better than ETT. JTHJ lifetime collections:- 160 to 170 cr. Jurt due competion and less screens.
@indicine. completely agree with u on the first two that its unlikely to break the opening day record and the biggest day record.
but I think FIRST WEEKEND would be around 60 CRORES AND FIRST WEEK would be around 110 crores. so those two records might be and ll be broken.
rest depends on wom and CONTENT as I surely believe no one would have booked any movie for second week.
@noam, again, two factors will make it difficult to touch 60 cr or 110 cr – Competition and fewer screens. I expect JTHJ to do well in the longer run. If liked, it won’t be a Sehwag like century, but a more steady one like Sachin’s.. if that makes any sense ;)
Yes 250 crore easy
@indicine. nyc comparison. finger s crossed. have booked the first day ticket. lets wait and watch. hope its a very good script with superlative acting.
JTHJ won’t be able to break any records.
the final count is 2575 screens for JTHJ out of wch 1500 are SS and 1000 multiplexes…JTHJ is a romantic film,multiplex kind of film…atmost 140 cr nt more thn tht…..
a message for all srk fans dont get carried away by the advance reports and and fake theatre counts…..its a romantic film ,YC films dont do well at the SS and seeing its promos it definitely looks like a multiplex film….dont expect anything record breaking….i can assure tht CE and HNY will be record breaking…
The sehwag and sachin example is just awesome… Hats off…
I was trying to say it but could not find the perfect lines… :)
If people call OMG akshay movie then Billu n Dulha Mil gaya are SRK movie, & For JTHJ will close below due to huge competition SOS n Later Talaash .
I think it would have gr8 wom…no matter collection of first week,it would run long at bo and thats why it has a golden chance to cross 3 idiots
You forgot the overseas collections……oh wait nvm SRK is competing himself in overseas lol
it depend on its WOM if it will got fantastic response then it will break 3 idiots record easly bcoz of SRK tere are two suprstars people are crazy for them SRK and Salman khan
@indicine u dint say nethng abt d overseas collctn?? veer zaara was released 8 years ago nd grossd around $8m. hav a feelin JTHJ might outrun d lyks of 3i nd MNIK.
@sarthak, what do we say about overseas? SRK holds most records.
@revanth. dude its not 1500 single screens. coz ett with its solo release had 1407 single screens. its around 1250 screens for jthj
First weekend and lifetime 100% beaten because this is another ddlj and 3 iditos which have biggest repeat audience if sos did not realese with jthj then single day record is also broken by jthj
Frankly speaking,no records will be broken by jthj.But after releasing in such bulk screens it can give a record for anushka sharma a first 100 cr film that’s all.Besides that it cant do anything more as small films like barfi,kahaani,the dirty picture are easily doing such business.
heroes don’t count zeroes enjoy a yash chopra classic friends
SRK’s films will generaly do good overseas, as overseas Indians likes all the mushy mushy kinda and family films (connecting with their Indian roots).
In India however, it is totally different, and in recent times we have people with different tastes. In fact fans for raw action is equal and probably now more compared to mushy romance, that’s the reason Salman has risen from the ashes like the Phoenix bird, and also SRK’s action movies did well.
It will be tough to beat ETT, but with SRK star power, combined with that of Katrina and her fan following, and above all Yashji, it looks good.
All the best to them.
we all know that first two records are impossible to break…but it has the potential to break all other records…i am confident that Jab Tak Hai Jaan will be one of the best films to come out this year so all other records can be broken
frankly speaking jthj will not break any recods…it will max do 120 crores reasons:-
1) less screens
2) competition from sos
3) competition from talaash
4) srk is not a huge crowd puller anymore
5) promos & music has not excited the mass centres…..