Bollywood churns out the maximum number of movies every year, but only one of them beats all others and becomes the biggest grosser of the year.
Delivering the biggest grosser of the year also means your movie is watched by the maximum number of people in that particular year on the big screen. In this day and age, with prices of movie ticket soaring, piracy and various options for entertainment (like television), it’s tough to bring audiences to theatres.
Hence, topping the ‘biggest grosser list’ is nothing short of a major achievement. Below is a list of all major actors today and the count of the biggest grossers of the year to their credit. (Last 25 years only):
|Maine Pyaar Kiya (1989)||Dil (1990)||DDLJ (1995)||Kaho Na Pyaar Hai (2000)||Border (1997)|
|Saajan (1991)||Raja Hindustani (1996)||Kuch Kuch Hota Hai (1998)||Koi Mil Gaya (2003)||Gadar (2001)|
|Hum Aapke Hain Kaun (1994)||Ghajini (2008)||Devdas (2002)||Dhoom 2 (2006)|
|Hum Saath Saath Hain (1999)||3 Idiots (2009)||Veer Zaara (2004)|
|No Entry (2005)||Dhoom 3 (2013)||Om Shanti Om (2007)|
|Dabangg (2010)||PK (2014)|
|Ek Tha Tiger (2012)|
|Bajrangi Bhaijaan (2015)|
Some interesting unknown facts:
- Salman Khan leads his contemporaries by a distance with a staggering count of 8 (9 if we include Kuch Kuch Hota Hai).
- What makes it even more special for Salman is the fact that, he is the ONLY superstar with two biggest grossers of the decade. Maine Pyaar Kiya and Hum Aapke Hai Kaun were the biggest grossers of the 80s and 90s respectively.
- Apart from the 5 biggest hits of the year to his credit, Shah Rukh Khan has given the 2nd biggest hit of the year for a record 8 times – Deewana (1991), Karan Arjun (1995), Dil To Pagal Hai (1997), Mohabbatein (2000), Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham (2001), Kal Ho Na Ho (2003), Main Hoon Na (2004) and Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi (2008).
- Salman has delivered Top 2 biggest grossers of the year three times. Hum Saath Saath Hain and Biwi No. 1 in 1999, Bodyguard and Ready in 2011, Ek Tha Tiger and Dabangg 2 in 2012 (expected).
- Ajay Devgn has three 2nd biggest grosser of the year to his credit. Phool Aur Kaante in 1991, Pyaar to Hona hi Tha in 1998 and Golmaal 3 in 2010.
- Akshay Kumar came close to giving the biggest hit of the year as many as 4 times. Mohra in 1994, Welcome in 2007 were the 2nd biggest hits while Singh is King and Rowdy Rathore came 3rd in 2008 and 2012 respectively.
- 2006 belonged to Hrithik Roshan as Dhoom 2 and Krrish were the 1st and 2nd biggest hits of the year respectively.
Abhishek Sharma tweets @abhu_sharma