There was a time, not too long ago, when sequels were considered to be risky at the box-office. Krrish and Dhoom 2 changed it and since then, we have a sequel announced after every successful film.
Not all sequels have managed to build a strong fan-base though. Films like Raaz – The Mystery Continues, Jism 2, Sarkar Raj, Bheja Fry 2 and so many others, have failed to re-create the magic of the original. And hence lost their brand-value and fan-base – both critical to a successful franchisee.
On the other hand, there are several others that have attracted bigger stars and smashed box-office records. Below are our Top 5 favorite franchisees in Bollywood today with the largest fan-following.
1. Munnabhai – Hands down! Both Sanjay Dutt and Arshad Warsi will forever be remembered for the characters that they play in the two films – Munna and Circuit. The original was a classic, that has tremendous repeat-value even today. You can watch it a 100 times and still enjoy every moment of it. Who can forget the scene where Munna reveals his true love to Dr Asthana (and his reaction that follows). Sheer Brilliance. The follow-up to Munnabhai MBBS was an equally good film – Lage Raho Munnabhai. The series will be carried forward by Abhijat Joshi, the co-writer of the first two films. Can he do justice to the Rajkumar Hirani classics?
Fanbase – 10/10, Box-office – 9/10, Quality of films – 10/10.
2. Dhoom – Action, bikes, stunning babes and a cool-villain; Dhoom is one of the most successful franchisee in Bollywood history. The first film was a turning point in John Abraham’s career and probably the role he will always be remembered for. Dhoom 2 featured Hrithik Roshan, who raised the bar even further. Can Aamir Khan do better? Oh and we love the characters of the cop (Abhishek) and the street-smart thief (Uday Chopra) too don’t we? The third film will be directed by Vijay Krishna Acharya, who last directed Tashan.
Fan-base – 10/10, Box-office – 10/10, Quality of films – 7.5/10.
3. Krrish – Rakesh Roshan recently announced that Koi Mil Gaya is very much a part of the Krrish trilogy. Hence the upcoming superhero film has been titled ‘Krrish 3’. We loved KMG, the follow up Krrish – one of the biggest blockbusters of 2006 – could have been better. Either way, there is no denying the fact that, the Krrish series is one of the most popular franchisees in Bollywood today.
Fanbase – 9/10, Box-office – 10/10, Quality of films – 8/10.
4. Don – We liked the first film, but the second was better! Shahrukh Khan played the character of Don, made iconic by the legendary Amitabh Bachchan in the 70s original. Khan added his own style and charisma to make the series a HIT. Currently, there are no plans for the third film.
Fanbase – 8/10, Box-office – 7.5/10, Quality of films – 7.5/10.
5. Golmaal – We liked the first film, but not the two films that followed. But the audience is absolutely in love with the Golmaal films. Proof – every follow-up has been more successful than the previous film. The characters are adored too.
Fanbase – 8/10, Box-office – 8.5/10, Quality of films – 6/10
Worth a mention – Dabangg – The second film is yet to release, which is why we haven’t included Dabangg in the Top 5. But the character Chulbul Pandey is iconic – isn’t he? We wouldn’t be surprised if the film goes on to be the highest grosser of 2012. Only worry – Arbaaz Khan’s skills as the captain of the ship. Can he do justice to Chulbul Pandey, the character that Abhinav Kashyap created?
Fanbase, box office, quality will be ranked after the release of Dabangg 2.
Also worth a mention: Housefull 2 is a strong brand and should continue it’s success. But the negative is, the character haven’t created an identity for themselves, as they change with every film. It’s just the title, director and Akshay’s presence that has worked so far.
Others: Hera Pheri has a huge following too, but it’s going nowhere currently. The second film was bad. And with news of Akshay Kumar, Paresh Rawal and Suniel Shetty getting replaced in the 3rd film, very little hope remains. Those three are irreplaceable, if you ask me. Can’t imagine anyone else playing Baburao Ganpathrao Apte!
Dhamaal, Kya Kool Hain Hum, Jannat – are the other sequels that have done well.
That’s our take. What’s yours?
NOTE: You can PICK UPTO 5 of your favorite franchisees from the list below. You can also vote for just one. For example, if you like only the Munnabhai films, just pick that and click vote!