We pick 5 of the best performances by a leading lady in a commercial film – these actresses could be the top contenders to walk away with the ‘Best Actress in a Leading Role’ award for 2014.
1. Kangana Ranaut (Queen): For many of us, 2014 was the year of Queen and Kangana’s performance was easily the best in a commercial film. Playing the role of a under-confident Delhi girl Rani Mehra, who then discovers herself on a trip to Europe after her boyfriend deserts days before her marriage, Kangana delivered the performance of her life. Her dialogue delivery (some of which she wrote herself) was spot on and so was her performance. We all connected with Rani and we rooted for her as she made the bold choice of rejecting Vijay when he eventually comes back.
2. Priyanka Chopra (Mary Kom): Portraying the role of a champion boxer like Mary Kom, who is famous and is well-respected, must not have been an easy task for Priyanka Chopra. She did a sublime job playing the pugilist from Manipur. Mary Kom’s story needed to be told and Priyanka played a great part in sharing that story. The film and her acting earned Priyanka a lot of plaudits and Mary Kom became a success.
3. Deepika Padukone (Happy New Year): Happy New Year was such a happy film because of Nandu Bhide (Abhishek) and his childhood friend Mohini (Deepika). Her accented speech, her dancing and her comic timing were flawless. She sizzled in the song ‘Lovely’ and was loveable in ‘Manwa Laage’. A lesser actor would have made the role a lot more caricaturish. It is to Deepika’s credit that she can do films as varied as Happy New Year and Finding Fanny in the same calendar year.
4. Anushka Sharma (PK): PK wouldn’t be the film it is if not for Anushka’s super-charming Jagat Janani. Anushka came of age in the film becoming the human voice of her alien friend PK (Aamir). She embibed intelligence, and playfulness in her portrayal of Jaggu and even showed tremendous dramatic chops in the climax scenes. We can’t wait to see more of Anushka in 2015 in films like Bombay Velvet, NH10 and Dil Dhadakne Do.
5. Parineeti Chopra (Hasee Toh Phasee) – Parineeti started the year on a good footing with Hasee Toh Phasee, playing the likeable genius Meeta who is not afraid to do things her own way, even if that means going against her whole family. Parineeti’s performance gave Meeta a very pleasant outlook and we felt for her character in the climax. It was a difficult role to play and only someone as talented as Parineeti could pull it off the way she did.
Pick your best performance amongst performances that we have mentioned above!