The business of Aamir Khan’s last two films (Ghajini and 3 Idiots), to put it mildly, is quite unbelievable. Many believed the Ghajini record would stand tall for atleast a couple of years, until Hirani’s 3 Idiots hit screens and like many in the trade, Aamir himself was left stunned. “I have no idea how to describe what is happening. Some suggestions and explanations” said Khan on his blog.
After a super-strong Week 4, the film now looks likely to cross (hold your breath) the 200 crore mark at the Indian box office.
Here are some staggering facts and records that the film has broken during it historic run.
1) More than 65 million people have watched 3 Idiots all over the world, which is the highest theatrical viewer ship for any Hindi film in the last decade. Probably a billion others, unfortunately, may have watched it on pirated copies.
2) No other film except Ghajini and now 3 Idiots has managed to cross the 100 crore milestone at the box office.
3) The Week 2 business of 3 Idiots (54 crores) was close to 10 crores more than the first week of any other film, except Ghajini.
3) The Week 3 business of 3 Idiots (30 crores) is more than the Week 2 business of any film, ever.
4) According to the trade, 3 Idiots has affected the collections of every subsequently released films including last week’s release Veer.
5) Lastly, 3 Idiots now, also holds the record for the highest grossing film overseas beating the 3 year old record set by Shahrukh Khan’s Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna.
And if 3 Idiots does indeed manage to cross 200 crores in India, Aamir would be the only star to have both the 100 crore and 200 crore records to his credit!