3 Idiots, Dabangg and Ready are three of the biggest money-spinners in the history of our film industry and comparing the box office figures of these films gives us a good idea on why 3 Idiots went on to nett 200 crores in India and remains the biggest grosser ever, why Dabangg did very well initially but couldn’t beat 3 Idiots and why Ready is unlikely to come close to the lifetime business of Dabangg.
Check out the comparison table below
|Friday (Day 1)||12.50 crores||14.50 crores||13.25 crores|
|Saturday (Day 2)||11.50 crores||16.50 crores||12.75 crores|
|Sunday (Day 3)||13.50 crores||18.50 crores||16 crores|
|Weekend Total||40 crores*||49.50 crores||42.25 crores|
|Monday (Day 4)||11 crores||10.50 crores||7 crores|
|Tuesday (Day 5)||9.5 crores||8.50 crores||6.75 crores|
|Wednesday (Day 6)||9 crores||7 crores||6.25 crores|
|Thursday (Day 7)||10 crores||6 crores||6 crores|
|Weekdays Total||39.5 crores||32 crores||26 crores|
|Week 1 Total||79.5 crores*||81.5 crores||68 crores|
|Lifetime Total||201 crores||141 crores||Will be updated|
* 3 Idiots Weekend and Week 1 Total includes 2.5 crore from Paid Previews.
- Weekend: Dabangg is easily the biggest grosser earning close to 25% more than 3 Idiots.
- Weekdays: 3 Idiots grossed 25% more than Dabangg and 50% more than Ready.
- Week 1 Total: Due to its huge initial and record breaking weekend, Dabangg beat 3 Idiots by 2 crores.
- Trending: The repeat value of 3 Idiots and strong word-of-mouth that the film carried was clear on Monday. Although it released during the holiday weekend, Monday business was just 50 lakhs lesser than Saturday!
- Week 2 onwards: 3 Idiots more than doubled its Week 1 business in the coming weeks, Dabangg did just 60 crores from Week 2 onwards.
- Can Ready beat Dabangg? : Comparatively Ready started slower, possibly due to its non-festival release, but has steadied during the weekdays. Thursday collections are almost same as Dabangg. Still, Ready is unlikely to out-gross Dabangg.
Hope you enjoyed reading the article, if you did, please subscribe to our free e-mail newsletters.