After a long time we have a refreshing movie, a clean entertainer that can be watched with family or friends. Produced by Dharma Productions, Wake Up Sid stars Ranbir Kapoor and Konkana Sen Sharma in lead roles. Ayan Mukerji directs this feel-good entertainer that does remind you of last year’s super-hit Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Na.
The movie is about Siddharth Mehra a.k.a Sid (Ranbir Kapoor) who is a rich spoilt brat, but with a heart of gold. The guy lacks motivation in life and is happy spending his father’s hard-earned fortune. His world, like most guys of his age, is surrounded by friends, cars and gaming consoles (in his case Playstation 3 and PSP)!
His transformation from a careless, fun-loving college teenager to a mature responsible individual is what Wake Up Sid is all about. Part of the journey is Aisha (Konkana Sen Sharma) and the two ‘different’ personalities become good friends and eventually, without any prizes for guessing, fall in love.
Wake Up Sid Review
Why Wake Up Sid is a MUST watch in theatre
- In good movies, stories or the lack of it doesn’t really matter. Wake Up Sid has no great storyline, but its those several heart warming moments that make it a enjoyable experience.
- The first half passes by so quickly, you hardly realize its about an hour long. The character of Sid is such that most youngsters as well as parents can easily connect with.
- Ayan Mukerji’s direction is top notch. As mentioned above, the story is basically a one-liner, yet scenes like; Ranbir confronting his parents after he fails in his final exams, the relationship that he shares with his friends, the live-in friendship that he shares with Aisha, scenes with his hot and sexy neighbour (played by Kashmeera Shah), confession of his love and many more work big time. The movie as a whole is extremely well executed. Another young director to watch out for.
- Ranbir Kapoor is fabulous, its easily his best performance. In yet another boy-next-door kinda role he excels in every scene, his dialogue delivery and expressions are by far the best of all newcomers. His hair-styling though should have been way better!
- Konkana Sen Sharma is good yet again. Frankly, she doesn’t need dialogues, her eyes and facial expressions do the trick. And although she looks slightly older to Ranbir, the role she plays is of a older woman.
- Music by Shankar, Ehsaan and Loy is fantastic. There are no dance routines, which is a welcome change. Songs are blended beautifully with the movie and two songs stand out. Wake Up Sid and Iktara. (you can click on the song titles for the lyrics of the songs)
- Cinematography is great too. Mumbai has been captured beautifully, Marine drive especially!
So what are the negatives?
- The last 30 minutes could have been crisper, drags slightly.
- Styling – Ranbir’s hair and Konkana’s Wardrobe. You expect better from a movie produced by Dharma Productions!!
Overall, Wake Up Sid is a must watch. A multiplex movie in its truest sense. Highly recommended for youngsters. The older generation (family audience) should enjoy it equally.
Go for it and do not forget to come back and write your very own reviews below.Rating:
Other Notes : Wake Up Sid should do much better than Dostana (which did above-average business) at the box office. The in-theater response was brilliant, everyone seemed to have enjoyed the movie. Karan Johar and his team have done it again.
Do Knot Disturb Review coming up soon, stay tuned.