Article by Indicine reader Abhishek Sharma
The 3 Khans (Aamir, Shahrukh and Salman) have been ruling the Indian Box Office for more than two decades now. All three have been consistently successful and delivered numerous hits over the years. While few of their ‘bad’ films have done exceptionally well at the box-office, some of their exceptionally good films have tanked.
Here is my list of 5 such movies, featuring the 3 legends, which deserved a lot more success than what they got.
1. Andaz Apna Apna: A mad comedy, directed by Rajkumar Santoshi, which featured Aamir and Salman together for the first and probably the last time. The movie has attained cult status over the years. All characters and dialogues are so popular now, that it’s hard to believe that the film didn’t do well at the box-office. Imagine if Andaaz Apna Apna released today? Uui Maa.
2. Swades: This brilliantly directed patriotic saga highlighting the issue of brain drain was directed by Ashutosh Gowariker after the Oscar nominated Lagaan. Criticized for it’s length and lack of entertainment value, Swades was a rare failure for Shahrukh Khan, who as Mohan Bhargav, delivered arguably the best performance of his career.
3. Akele Hum Akele Tum: Mansoor Khan and Aamir Khan came together for the third time (and most likely their last outing together) after the super success of Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak and Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikandar. It was a superb portrayal of a sensitive relationship between husband and wife. The performances by Aamir, Manisha and even the child actors were outstanding. This movie has some of the best romantic tracks composed by Anu Malik.
4. Khamoshi – The Musical: Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s debut was nothing short of a classic. The musical plot was unique and wonderfully executed. Salman, Manisha, Nana, Seema Biswas and Helen were fabulous. Also the songs composed by Jatin Lalit lived upto the musical theme. Despite all these ingredients, Khamoshi remained Khamosh at the box office.
5. Dil Se: Yet another fantastic terror based movie by Mani Rathnam, after the success of Roja and Bombay, which were based on similar themes. Manisha Koirala, unfortunately, is featuring in the list for the third time. The movie was stylishly shot and A.R. Rahman compositions for Dil Se were probably his best to date.
[fb action=’recommend’ layout=’button_count’]
That’s my list of the Top 5 Khan films that deserved better at the box-office. One of my personal favorites, Jaan-e-Mann, couldn’t make it. Other films that deserved better are London Dreams, Phir Milenge, Anjaam and Mann.
Do let me know your views. Any other film that I should have included in the list?
You can also read some of the other articles that I have written here
- Salman Khan’s Top 10 Performances
- Most Successful Directors
- Is Akshay Kumar a threat to the top spot?
- Top 10 Hindi Movies of 2012 (most awaited)
What about Mann?? I think it was a below average movie at box office yet a fantastic love story
For me, the most underrated Khan movie has to be Andaz Apna Apna, and secondly Jaan-e-Mann.
I fail to understand why Swades is considered to be a failed classic. It was probably the only SRK movie that put me off to sleep about 5 times during it’s four hour runtime.
A film can be sensitive, preachy.. but it has to be entertaining. Swades was a documentary.
Agreed SRK’s performance was great. But again, I don’t understand how Filmfare changed their ‘popular’ award and decided to give it to a performance in a flop film.
Jaan-e-mann deserved better at box office but it was completely crushed by don :(
andaz apna apna is realy great to watch
i have watch this mvie more than 30 times n still crazy fr it
aamir n salman have fab comic
n cemistery in the mvie
andaz apna apna and jaan e man
Ashoka and swades should hv been atbb
Jaanemann was dull and non sense. Mann,paheli deservd better!
andaz apna… & akele hum…deserves to be in your list.rest met the right fate especially swades,what a crap@@@
where is MY NAME IS KHAN?????
Although it was hit but it deserved much more than what it got in india .
Andaaz apna apna and jaan-e-mann..
Dil se, khamoshi or swades are slow paced.. Dont had potential be hits unlike commercial cinema.. So disagree with some of these..
Swadesh was a masterpiece..Shahrukh’s acting was outstanding..also dil se was brilliant..mann was very good..especially the 2nd half
all the 5….swades was superb,AAA brilliant……jaanemann shld have done better business but the idiotic producers released it with SRKs movie……SRK was at numero uno position
aamir khans comic timing was far better than salmans in AAA…..
I thought Salman was very good in AAA.
I agree with the list.. Good sensible article by Abhishek Shama.
Where is Paheli and Mangal Pandey? Why didn’t you include it in notable films at least?
Ye btao mallu cheap criminal ko phansi kb hogi.
Are kingkhan tu mil tughe phansi de dunga
Duplicate should be in the list..
best performance by SRK
mannu dada in duplicate,,,
man…wot an acting,,,
salute dis man….
TERE NAAM the biggest underachiever,was an awesome movie!!!!
WHY it is not in the list?????
who is the writer of this news! !! Khans have many many films better than this movies. 1st know about films they works as actor then post your site. I know this news posted by avishek sharma who is fan of akshay gadhe!!
the films that failed at bo….
1.Jaaneman(due to its release with srk don)
2.tere naam(great movie but its ending was so pathetic that even Salman khan fans disliked it)
3.andaz apna apna(well this masterpiece was so ahead of its time)
1.andaz apna apna
2.mangal pandey(amir returned at the bo about 5years later so expectation was very high but it failed miserably)
sorry sallu n aamir u idiots not a single film in srk category as for a Srk fan all his films are the best….
I haven”t watched Khamosh & Anda apna apna. But Agree;Swadesh, Akele hum akele tum, Dil se & Mangal Pandey could have done better. I really liked those 4 movies.
hollywood movies like Blood Diamond, Schindler’s List and so many more are serious, with sensitive issues have done so good in market, won oscar because their audiences are smarter. In India film like Swadesh, Lakshya, MNIK are underperformers. Why? Because most of the audiences are of below average IQ. they cant simply get into the theme or soul of these great movies. See the collection of MNIK in overseas. This is because of the difference in mindset of the viewers. This is sad. these days i am surprised to se the quality of blockbuster movies. God save bollywood
100% agree with all the films given.Also London Dreams and Jaaneman were fantastic.I saw them twice in theatres.Also Saif’s Thoda Pyaar Thoda Magic was good.So bad that it was flop.
Salman’s Veer and SRK’s Ashoka were also good films.Aamir’s Mangal Pandey was crap.
truely agree with shahid…
INDIANS WANNA HAVE AN ITEM SONG/BIKINI SCENE/BED SCENE…this is the level of indians…
spit on you people…
i am from texas(USA)..my parents are indo-american..and i watch indian movies too…
indian movies are senseless these days…IDIOTIC STORIES,EROTIC SCENES,CHEAP ACTION…
you cannot feed anything anything in the name of entertainment..
missing the era where bollywood had great movies like Dilwale Dulhaniya Le jayenge,Kuch Kuch Hota Hai,Lagaan.
What about Dil Chahta hain?It was just average.But deserved to be Blockbuster.
SRK’s Koyla was also good movie.It should also be included.