The ‘Colors Screen Awards’ better known as the ‘Star Screen Awards’, is the third oldest film awards in India (after the Filmfare and National awards).
The 1st Screen Awards was held in the year 1995, when actor Nana Patekar won the Best Actor award for his performance in Krantiveer.
In it’s 18th year of existence, Screen awards began at a time when the two-decade dominance of the Khan’s had just begun.
Below is a list of all the ‘Best Actor’ award winners – from 1995 to 2012.
- 1995: Nana Patekar for Krantiveer
- 1996: Shahrukh Khan for Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge
- 1997: Aamir Khan for Raja Hindustani
- 1998: Anil Kapoor for Virasat
- 1999: Ajay Devgan for Zakhm
- 2000: Sanjay Dutt for Vaastav
- 2001: Hrithik Roshan for Kaho Naa Pyaar Hai
- 2002: Sunny Deol for Gadar: Ek Prem Katha
- 2003: Shahrukh Khan for Devdas and Ajay Devgan for Company
- 2004: Hrithik Roshan for Koi Mil Gaya
- 2005: Shahrukh Khan for Veer Zaara
- 2006: Amitabh Bachchan for Black
- 2007: Hrithik Roshan for Krrish
- 2008: Shahrukh Khan for Chak De India
- 2009: Hrithik Roshan for Jodhaa Akbar
- 2010: Amitabh Bachchan for Paa
- 2011: Salman Khan for Dabangg
- 2012: Ranbir Kapoor for Rockstar
Actors with the most ‘Best Actor’ awards
- Hrithik Roshan: 4 awards (Kaho Na Pyaar Hai, Koi Mil Gaya, Krrish and Jodha Akbar)
- Shahrukh Khan: 4 awards (DDLJ, Devdas, Veer Zaara and Chak De India)
- Amitabh Bachchan: 2 awards (Black and Paa)
- Ajay Devgan: 2 awards (Company and Zakhm)
- Salman Khan: 1 award (Dabangg)
- Aamir Khan: 1 award (Raja Hindustani)
- Ranbir Kapoor: 1 award (Rockstar)
- Sanjay Dutt: 1 award (Vaastav)
- Anil Kapoor: 1 award (Virasat)
- Nana Patekar: 1 award (Krantiveer)
- Sunny Deol: 1 award (Gadar: Ek Prem Katha)
What do you think of the list above? Have ‘Screen’ been fair over the years?
Did Sunny Deol deserve the Best Actor award more than Aamir Khan did for his performance in Lagaan? While Shahrukh Khan won Best Actor at all other award shows in 1998, his performance in Kuch Kuch Hota Hai didn’t win the Screen Awards.