Bang Bang has collected Rs 94.13 crore in its first extended weekend at the box office, which is about 10% lower than the first 4 days collections of Shahrukh Khan’s 2013 Eid release Chennai Express.
Quick points on the release circumstances of the two films
- Chennai Express released on 3500 screens in India, while Bang Bang has released on 4300 according to Fox Star Studios.
- Chennai Express released on the holiday for Eid considered to be one of the best periods for film releases. Bang Bang released about 3 weeks before Diwali and during the the Navratri period, which is not considered to be the best time to release films.
- Chennai Express had a solo release, Bang Bang released alongside Haider which released on 1250 screens in India.
- Both films were commercial entertainers with two of the most bankable male and female stars in the country (domestic business only).
- Chennai Express trended very well and went on to be one of the biggest grossers of all time. It could probably have been even bigger if not for the release of Once Upon A Time In Mumbaai Dobaraa the following week.
|Day||Chennai Express||Bang Bang|
|Lifetime Collections||227.21 crores||135.45 crores (8 days)|
|Day 1||33.12 (Eid Holiday)||27.54 (Gandhi Jayanti)|
|Day 2||28.06 (Holiday)||24.08 (Dussehra)|
|Day 3||32.5 (Sunday)||20.1|
|Day 4||12.62||22.41 (Sunday)|
|In 4 days w/o previews||106.3 cr||94.13 cr|
|Day 7||19.60 (Independence Day)||8.23|
|First Week||156.71 crores||128.03 crores|
|Day 10||10.22 (Sunday)|
|Day 12||7.06 (Raksha Bandhan)|
|Two Week Total||200.54|
|Day 17||4.75 (Sunday)|
|Day 20||2.46 (Janmastami)|
|Three Week Total||218.41 crores|
|Day 24||1.89 (Sunday)|
|Till Fourth weekend||222.25 crores|