The first list of Top Actors of 2015 is finally here. Who are the biggest gainers? Which actor has dropped down the list? Let’s find out!
We have decided to make our ranking system the most comprehensive in the industry. We will be analysing the box office collections of the Top 15 actors. The ranking system will also be divided into three; Top Actor in India, Overseas and Worldwide. The list below is for the Top 15 Actors in India i.e the domestic market only.
- The list would be based on the net box office collections of an actor’s last five movies. For younger actors, the minimum number of films is 3.
- Only lead roles would be considered. Cameos, special appearances and guest appearances won’t be taken under consideration. Non-commercial and art films like ‘Dhobi Ghat’ have also not been considered.
- Dated movies that released before 2007 have not been considered.
- Only domestic box office collections is being taken into account. Collections from all regional versions have been taken into considering as this list is for the top actors in India and regional language releases affect Hindi business in their respective states. For example, Tamil version will affect business of Hindi version in Tamilnadu / Kerala circuit.
Top Actors In Bollywood 2015
Rank 1 Aamir Khan: With Rajkumar Hirani’s PK expected to collect around Rs 340 crore, the last 5 movies of Aamir Khan have now collected a record-breaking Rs 1,036 crore. To put that into perspective, the collections of Aamir’s last 5 movies is almost the same as the combined business of Hrithik and Akshay’s last 5 films! As things stand today, Aamir is way ahead of Salman and SRK too. The average collections of each Aamir Khan film is Rs 207 crore!
- PK – 340 cr
- Dhoom 3 – 285 cr
- Talaash – 93 cr
- 3 Idiots – 202 cr
- Ghajini – 116 cr
- Next film – Not signed
- Total – 1036 cr (Average per film: 207.2 cr)
Rank 2. Salman Khan has dropped down the list for the first time in the last 4 years. He does more films than Aamir and his mediocre films go on to be hugely successful at the box office. Salman has two big releases this year and both are festive releases. Bajrangi Bhaijaan releases during Eid and Prem Ratan Dhan Payo will release during Diwali. If Salman has to beat Aamir with his Eid release, then Bajrangi Bhaijaan has to collect Rs 338 crore at the box office. Ironically, the last time a Salman Khan – Kabir Khan film released, they fell short of the highest grosser of all time (3 Idiots) by just 3 crore! If they achieve the same result again, Salman will top. Improbable but not impossible!
- Kick – 233 cr
- Jai Ho – 112 cr
- Dabangg 2 – 154 cr
- Ek Tha Tiger – 199 cr
- Bodyguard – 145 cr
- Next film – Bhajrangi Bhaijaan
- Total – 843 crore (Average per film: 168.6 cr)
Rank 3. Shahrukh Khan has dropped down to No 3 in the domestic markets, as his latest release ‘Happy New Year’ couldn’t match the collections of Chennai Express or Kick. While Fan is unlikely to be a record-breaking grosser due to its release date, SRK’s rumoured film with Rohit Shetty during Christmas could shatter records.
- Happy New Year – 204 cr
- Chennai Express – 227 crore
- Jab Tak Hai Jaan – 121 cr
- Don 2 – 112 cr
- Ra. One – 125 cr
- Next film – Fan
- Total – 789 crore (Average per film: 157.8 cr)
Rank 4. The release of Bang Bang temporarily took Hrithik ahead of SRK at the domestic box office, but before Bang Bang finished its run, Happy New Year had already released in theatres. Hrithik’s average of 134 cr is fantastic, comparable to the Khans even though he doesn’t always get to release his films during Eid, Diwali or Christmas. To elaborate a little more on this, out of the last 5 films, all SRK films have released during one of the three festivals, except Jai Ho all Salman films have released during the three most lucrative periods in the industry and Aamir Khan too has preferred to release his films during Christmas (all except Talaash). Hrithik got just one Diwali release for Krrish 3 and made the most of it. He will be missing from action in 2015, as his next release is Ashutosh Gowariker’s Mohenjodaro (Jan 2016).
- Bang Bang – 181 cr
- Krrish 3 – 244 cr
- Agneepath – 122 cr
- Zindagi Naa Milegi Dobara – 93 cr
- Guzaarish – 32 cr
- Next film – Mohenjo Daro
- Total – 672 cr (Average per film: 134.4 cr)
Rank 5: Ranbir Kapoor – Besharam was expected to take a good start at the box office and it did, what with the film collecting close to Rs 20 crore on its opening day. But the response was so bad that the film ended with lifetime business of less than 60 crore. It was arguably the worst received biggie of 2013, as even a film like Himmatwala held up better over the weekend.
- Besharam – 57 cr
- Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani – 188 cr
- Barfi! – 106 cr
- Rockstar – 70 cr
- Anjaana Anjaani – 41 cr
- Next film – ROY
- Total – 462 cr (Average per film: 92.4 cr)
Rank 6: Action Jackson has failed at the box office, which has hurt Ajay’s standing in the industry and also raised the dreaded question once again – Can Ajay deliver a big grosser without Rohit Shetty? The question is asked for a reason – outside a film directed by Rohit Shetty, Ajay’s average for the last 5 films drops from Rs 80.8 cr per film to Rs 56 crore per film. The actor will be missing from action this year as he begins work on his second directorial venture – Shivaay.
- Action Jackson (57 cr)
- Singham Returns (140 cr)
- Satyagraha (58 cr)
- Himmatwala (46 cr)
- Son of Sardaar (103 cr)
- Next film – Shivaay
- Total: 404 cr (Average per film: 80.8 cr)
Rank 7 Akshay Kumar: With films like Baby, Gabbar and Brothers, Akshay has a strong line-up of films. If all three films do well, he could even challenge Ranbir Kapoor for a place in the Top 5.
- Entertainment – 72 cr
- Holiday: A Solider Is Never Off Duty – 113 cr
- Boss – 54 cr
- Once Upon Ay Time In Mumbaai Dobaara – 61 cr
- Special 26 – 69 cr
- Next film – Baby
- Total Collections: 369 cr (Average per film: 73.8 cr)
Rank 8 Sidharth Malhotra: Quickly emerging as one of the most popular stars in the country, Sidharth Malhotra commands a huge following on social media websites like Twitter and Facebook. His last release, Ek Villain, was a huge success at the box office. He deserves credit even though the presence of Mohit Suri as director, Ritiesh Deshmukh and chartbuster music helped big time.
- Ek Villain – 103 cr
- Hasee Toh Phasee – 35 cr
- Student Of The Year – 70 cr
- Next film – Brothers
- Total Collections – 208 cr (Average per film: 69.3 cr)
Rank 9 Varun Dhawan: Varun has featured in 3 films so far in his career and all have done well at the box office. His upcoming release ‘Badlapur’ will be a test for sure!
- Humpty Sharma Ki Dulhania – 77 cr
- Main Tera Hero – 54 cr
- Student Of The Year – 70 cr
- Next film – Badlapur
- Total Collections – 201 cr (Average per film: 67 cr)
Rank 10 John Abraham: John is no longer a solo star. Multi-starrers like Race 2 and Housefull 2 are his biggest grossers. In an ensemble star cast like the upcoming Welcome Back, he is still a force to be reckoned with. He has replaces Akshay in ‘Hera Pheri 3’.
- Madras Café – 45 cr
- Shootout at Wadala – 62 cr
- I, Me aur Main – 9 cr
- Race 2 – 102 cr
- Housefull 2 – 114 cr
- Next film – Welcome Back
- Total Collections – 332 cr (Average per film: 66.4 cr)
Rank 11 Saif Ali Khan: Happy Ending was one of the biggest disasters of 2014 and the failure of a film that was expected to recreate the magic of ‘Cocktail’, has meant that Saif is currently going through the worst phase of his career. He awaits the release of Phantom later this year.
- Happy Ending – 22 cr
- Humshakals – 63 cr
- Bullet Raja- 36 cr
- Race 2 – 102 cr
- Cocktail – 78 cr
- Next film – Phantom
- Total – 301 cr (Average per film: 60.2 cr)
Rank 12 Ranveer Singh: Even though Kill Dil failed at the box office, Ranveer Singh has gained one spot in the list. He is currently ranked No 12, but has two of the most promising films of 2015 in Zoya Akhtar’s Dil Dhadakne Do and Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s Bajirao Mastani.
- Kill Dil – 32 cr
- Gunday – 78 cr
- Ram Leela – 115 cr
- Lootera – 31 cr
- Ladies Vs Ricky Bahl – 38 cr
- Forthcoming film – Dil Dhadakne Do
- Total Collections – 294 cr (Average per film: 58.8 cr)
Rank 13 Arjun Kapoor: The poor performance of Tevar has resulted in Arjun Kapoor dropping one spot down the list to No 13. There are reports that he could sign a film with Yash Raj Films, but it remains to be seen what sort of impact the failure of Tevar has on his career.
- Tevar – 40 cr (expected)
- Finding Fanny – 36 cr
- 2 States – 102 cr
- Gunday – 78 cr
- Aurangzeb – 23 cr
- Forthcoming film – Not signed
- Total Collections – 279 cr (Average per film: 55.8 cr)
Rank 14 Shahid Kapoor: The critical and commercial success of Haider has helped Shahid Kapoor go one spot up in the ranking. He sneaks ahead of Emraan Hashmi.
- Haider – 58 cr
- R.. Rajkumar – 65 cr
- Phata Poster Nikhla Hero – 39 cr
- Teri Meri Kahaani – 29 cr
- Mausam – 33 cr
- Forthcoming film – Shaandar
- Total Collections – 224 cr (Average per film: 44.8 cr)
Rank 15 Emraan Hashmi: The disastrous performance of Raja Natwarlal and Ungli at the box office earlier this year has pushed Emraan to the bottom of the list. The gap between Emraan and Shahid has also considerably widened.
- Ungli – 21 cr
- Raja Natwarlal – 27 cr
- Ghanchakkar – 39 cr
- Ek Thi Daayan – 27 cr
- Jannat 2 – 54 cr
- Forthcoming film – Mr X
- Total collections – 168 cr (Average per film: 33.6 cr)