Ghajini is all set to storm the Indian box office, when the movie releases all over India on Wednesday 24th December at 7 PM IST.
The hype and curiosity for the movie is something that hasn’t been witnessed for any release this year. Shahrukh Khan’s Om Shanti Om was probably the last film which almost everyone wanted to catch, first day first show. There are several reasons why Ghajini could shatter every box office record in India
1) Its a good 2 weeks since Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi released, and the audience could lap up Ghajini as it belongs to a completely different genre. Provided it meets the high expectations.
2) Ghajini is Aamir Khan’s first release since Taare Zameen Par, which is India’s official entry to the Oscars!
3) The trailers have created immense curiosity. The Ghajini hair style has clicked big time with the youth of India.
4) The smart promotion which also involved the infamous theatre-workers-ghajini-haircut in Multiplexes all over India, was a master stroke by Aamir Khan.
5) The SRK – Aamir war of words has in some way further increased the hype around Ghajini. Almost everyone that we have spoken to – kids, teenagers, adults – all are curiously awaiting the release of the film.
Its a foregone conclusion, Ghajini will open HUGE. But how big? Will it sustain from the crucial Monday onwards? It will depend on the word of mouth. The concern for the trade is the blood, gore and violence in Ghajini, although the makers say the movie isnt very violent, as its made out to be. Will the Indian family audience accept such a flick? One other problem could be the length. Ghajini is about 3 hours long. But then, a good film works, irrespective of its length. Jodha Akbar which was more than 3 and a half hours long was a superhit in India and a blockbuster overseas.
Finally, here is our box office first week and final (nett gross) prediction for Ghajini in India
Note – The figures below is purely for the box office collections in India.
First week – 51 crores.
Final nett gross if its accepted – 100 crores +
Final nett gross if its rejected – 75 crores
Some of the biggest first week grossers of the year so far in India. Can Ghajini break those records?
Singh Is King – 44 crores
Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi – 44.5 crores
Golmaal Returns – 39 crores.
What’s your box-office prediction for Ghajini? In its first week and overall total? Do submit your figures below in the comments section.