Bollywood director Raj Kanwar, 50, passed away after a kidney transplant operation in Singapore today (February 3rd).
Kanwar has directed stars like Akshay Kumar, Katrina Kaif, Preity Zinta, Salman Khan and many more. He also introduced Shahrukh Khan in Deewana, Priyanka Chopra and Lara Dutta in Andaaz.
In 2 decades of his career, Kanwar has written and directed several films. Some of his remarkable contributions to Hindi cinema are Laadla, Judaai, Har Dil Jo Pyaar Karega, Farz, Badal, Humko Deewana Kar Gaye and Andaaz. His last film ‘Sadiyaan’, released in 2010 and launched Shatrughan Sinha’s son Luv Sinha.
Shortly after the news of his death was announced, condolences on Twitter from the celebrities poured in. Below are some of them
- Shahrukh Khan – My friend raj kanwarji passed away. The impermanence of life, makes one feel so helpless. May his soul rest in peace. Aisi Deewangi..miss u sir.
- Priyanka Chopra – Saddens me so much, my 1st director Raj Kanwar passed away.. RIP Rajji.. You believed in me when even I didn’t. Andaaz taught me everything I know.
- Madhur Bhandarkar – Sad to hear about director Raj Kanwar’s demise. RIP.
- Abhishek Bachchan- Terribly saddened by the passing of Raj Kanwar. Was the 1st person to sign me after Refuggee. He made Aishwarya and my 1st film together. Dhai Akshar Prem Ke. Was a lovely man, always happy, smiling and joking. Have wonderful wonderful memories of him. Now no more. Thank you so much Raj ji for the memories. I will miss you.
- Akshay Kumar - Deeply saddened to know, Raj Kanwar, one of our finest directors passed away. He’d directed two of my personal favourite films of my career, Andaaz & Hum Ko Deewana Kar Gaye. My thoughts & prayers with his family. RIP.
- Sayali Bhagat – Very Sad to know about the Demise of Director Raj Kanwar.,I remember meeting him very recently for one of his films..it was a fabulous story
- Rahul Khanna – I’m so sorry to hear of the passing of Mr. Raj Kanwar. We had worked together on Raqeeb. My heartfelt condolences to his family.
- Shreya Ghosal – Just saw tweets abt Raj Kanwar ji’s untimely demise.. R.I.P. Had worked with him only once. He was such a gentle humble man. Saddened.
- Kunal Kohli – Just heard the sad news about Raj Kanwar. RIP
- Arjun Rampal – Just heard the saddest news of Mr Raj Kanwar’s demise, had the opportunity of interacting with him.Pray for his soul and strength to family.
- Lara Dutta – R.I.P. Raj ji. Friend,director and guide. Bid goodbye with a very heavy heart! :-(. We lost a kind, gentle, positive man.
- Dia Mirza – Saddened by the news of Rajji’s untimely passing… Interacted with him a few times, a kind, gentle man. God give his family strength.