Shahrukh Khan’s Chennai Express has completed a century in double quick time, as the film entered the 100 crore club in 3 days (plus paid previews) at the Indian box office. The previous record was held by Salman Khan’s Ek Tha Tiger which took 5 days to collect Rs 100 crores.
According to the official figures released by UTV Motion Pictures, Chennai Express has collected Rs 32.5 crore on Sunday to take its weekend total to a mind-boggling 100.43 crore at the domestic box-office.
In doing so, Chennai Express has also broken the following records.
- Highest Paid Previews – 6.75 crore
- Highest Opening Day and Friday collections – 33.12 crore
- Highest Second Day and Saturday collections – 28.06 crore
- Highest Third Day and Sunday collections – 32.5 crore
- Fastest to 100 crore and the first time ever to reach the milestone in the first weekend itself.
Clearly records have tumbled and Shahrukh Khan has reigned supreme at the box office once again. The previous highest collections over a 3 day period was held by Dabangg 2 which collected Rs 65 crore. Even if the paid preview collections are not included, Chennai Express still managed to collect Rs 93.68 crore from Friday to Sunday – 44% higher than the previous best!