India’s most popular comedy film, Andaz Apna Apna, celebrates its 20th anniversary today. Here are 10 unknown facts about the film.
- Andaz Apna Apna was a commercial failure when it released in theatres exactly 2 decades ago on April 11 1994. The film collected around 4.7 crore net at the box office. Today, the film would probably collect 300 crore plus, breaking every record!!
- It was the only film in which Salman Khan and Aamir Khan shared screen-space. The two didn’t get along on the sets of the film and Aamir vowed not to work with Salman ever again. However, a lot has changed in the 2 decades since the film released. Aamir and Salman are known for their friendship in the industry.
- Andaz Apna Apna didn’t have a bound script. Most of the scenes were improvised right on the sets. A few dialogues were spontaneously uttered while shooting for the scene!
- The character of Crime Master Go Go was initially offered to actor Tinnu Anand, who even wrote the popular one-liner “Aankhen nikaal kar gotiya khelunga”. The iconic role later went to Shakti Kapoor.
- Two popular songs of both Salman and Aamir are played in the movie. Just before the ‘Oranges’ scene in Raveena’s home, Salman sings ‘Dekha Hai Pehli Baar’ (Saajan). In the scene where Aamir inaugurates the prison, ‘Papa Kehte Hain Bada Naam Karega’ (Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak) is played in the background.
- Karishma Kapoor and Raveena Tandon who share excellent on-screen chemistry in the film, couldn’t see eye-to-eye during its making. The two were arch-rivals during the 90s.
- Andaz Apna Apna was delayed for 3 years due to financing and other issues. Today, investors would line up in numbers if any filmmaker announces a film starring Salman and Aamir!
- In one of the scenes, Aamir asks Salman if he has watched Sholay. To which he answers “Haan, dus baar”. In response, Aamir says “Iske baap ne likhi hai”. This is actually true! Salman’s father Salim Khan was the co-writer of Sholay. The dialogue was written minutes before the scene was shot.
- Crime Master Go Go was said to be Mogambo’s nephew in the film. The writers wanted a character who would talk big, but would do little in action.
- The film’s director Rajkumar Santoshi is working on a sequel. He will be co-writing and directing it. But unlike the original which was shot without a bound script, Santoshi will only approach actors once he is completely satisfied with the script. It remains to be seen if he will approach Aamir and Salman again or opt for younger actors like Ranbir, Imran, Varun or someone else.