In the 2nd part, film critic and trade analyst Joginder Tuteja answers 5 more questions from our readers. (This article was scheduled to be published yesterday. The delay was due to technical issues)
Can you rank the following biggies in order of their hotness in trade – Dhoom 3 , Dabangg 2, Krrish 3, Once Upon A Time In Mumbaai 2, Chennai Express? – Javneet
- We are talking about films, each of which is coming with a potential of comfortably crossing the 200 crores mark just in India. To be fair to these films, they don’t deserve a ranking, at least as of now when even a single frame of any of these hasn’t been revealed yet!
Salman is doing the movies of same genre after ‘Wanted’. Before ‘Wanted’, he tasted failure in many films. Do you think that doing movies of the same genre for a long time would really help Salman prove himself as a good as well as a versatile actor? Will his success last longer if he continues to do the same type of films with no stories but only action? Remember, Akshay couldn’t sustain the success of his comedy films for too long. – Bipin Ghimire
- You are right on many counts, including the part about similar genre. Yes, Salman has been making films in the same genre. However it would be wrong to say that his films have ‘no story and only action’. No film can work like that. Having said that, this is a phase which Salman is enjoying but for continued success, he would be switching modes in a couple of years time. As for comedies not working for Akshay, if that was the case then ‘Housefull 2’ wouldn’t have turned out to be a much needed superhit for him. If his interim films failed, it was due to various other reasons and not due to comedies being repeated.
Will Madhuri Dixit be able to make a successful comeback with ‘Gulaab Gang’ and ‘Dedh Ishqiya’? What are their prospects? – Rohan
- No one can predict with utmost certainity around a comeback film turning into a successful or not without seeing a frame of it. Who would have thought that Amitabh Bachchan’s comeback film ‘Mrityudaata’ would be a disaster? Or for that matter Sridevi’s ‘English Vinglish’ would be a hit? Or Karisma Kapoor’s ‘Dangerous Ishhq’ turning out to be a huge flop? Coming to Madhuri’s upcoming films, ‘Desh Ishqiya’ would benefit from the fact that ‘Ishqiya’ was a much liked film and has a good recall value.
Do you think ‘Ghanchakkar’ will be Emraan Hashmi’s first 100 crore movie? Will it be Emraan’s next after Rush? – Sajid
- After Paresh Rawal ensuring a 80 crores plus collections for ‘OMG! Oh My God’ (and still counting), anything is possible provided there is some cast of repute and the overall package is good. Emraan and Vidya’s last, ‘The Dirty Picture’, had crossed the 80 crores mark as well. With the director of ‘No One Killed Jessica’ (Raj Kumar Gupta) attempting a comedy with the duo, 100 crores is a possibility. However before that, ‘Ek Thi Daayan’ would hit the screens.
Out of the three Khans (Salman, Shahrukh, Aamir), which one according to you has been the most consistent in last 20 years as per box office results? – Gaurav Handa
- This one is actually a no-brainer. It is simple – Shahrukh Khan!
You can ask Joginder a question – just fill the form below. Please don’t ask him about the screen count of Jab Tak Hai Jaan and Son of Sardar. We’ve received the same question more than 500 times over the last two weeks. Simple answer – no one knows!
If your question is selected, it will be answered next Sunday or Monday.
[contact-form-7 id=”40462″ title=”Ask Joginder”]