Jail promoted mainly as critically acclaimed director Madhur Bhandarkar’s film, has strangely been rejected by the audience in India and overseas. Like every other Bhandarkar directed film, Jail started off slow on Friday, but was expected to pick up during the weekend. Unfortunately, that didn’t happen. Reason?
- Ranbir Kapoor and Katrina Kaif’s Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani completely out shined Jail with blockbuster collections both during weekend and weekdays.
- The movie opened to mixed reactions with family audiences staying away and instead preferring a typical Bollywood entertainer that released alongside. We guess the second half was too hard to digest for the ‘masala-loving’ people of India.
Any hopes of the film picking up in Week 2? Unlikely, if Day 8 (second Friday) collections are anything to go by. Also Tum Mile has opened to good numbers and the Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Wave is still strong all over the country. With back to back biggies in the coming weeks – Kurbaan and De Dana Dan – Jail should be out of most theaters by the end of Week 2.
Jail Box office verdict – FLOP
Now coming to the big budget London Dreams, the business is extremely disappointing to say the very least. The movie opened to all-India collections of 23 crores in Week 1 and Week 2 numbers are poor – about 7 crores. With positive reviews and word of mouth, LD was expected to do better – much better.. ?
- The first week collections were crucial. With 2 releases in Week 2 to compete against, it was never going to be easy. We think the release of two Salman Khan films 2 weeks apart (Main Aur Mrs Khanna released on October 16th) affected Week 1 collections. A month apart, bare minimum, would have been ideal for LD.
- The disastrous business of Main Aur Mrs Khanna, a movie also targeted at the family audience, also didn’t help.
- Like Jail, London Dreams was hit by the Ajab wave. The movie lost theaters in single screens and several shows at multiplexes in Week 2. From close to 13 shows everyday at several multiplexes in metros, LD was reduced to 2 – 3 shows in its second weekend.
Taken off several screens in Week 3, Salman Khan has his second flop in as many weeks. Its his last release this year, he returns with Veer early next year.
London Dreams Box office verdict – FLOP