Best Kishore Kumar Songs: Top 10
Along with Mohd Rafi, the late Kishore Kumar is one of the greatest male playback singers of all time. It’s expressing the pure feelings of one’s heart, which made all Kishore songs ever so special. He introduced the art of yodeling in Indian songs. Although he died in 1987, he is very much a craze even today as we hear the new versions of his evergreen songs in recent movies like ‘Naino Mein Sapna’ and ’Taki O Taki’ (Himmatwala – 2013), ‘Apni To Jaise Taise’ (Housefull – 2010), Bachna Ae Haseeno (Bachna Ae Haseeno – 2009), ‘Khaike Pan Banaraswala’ (Don – 2006), Jhankaar Beats and many more.
Even people who don’t understand Hindi language enjoy Kishore Kumar songs sung in his god-gifted and divine voice.
Below mentioned is the compilation of 10 of my personal all time favorite songs of Kishoreda:
1) O Mere Dil Ke Chain: Who says Switzerland fields, costly costumes, huge sets or 100 dancers etc. are required to make a song look beautiful? Arguably the most romantic song of all time, O Mere Dil Ke Chain is wonderfully picturized on an elegant Rajesh Khanna and shivering Tanuja from the movie ‘Mere Jeevan Saathi’. My favorite line from this gem by Kishore Kumar is – ‘tum jo pakad lo haath mera duniya badal sakta hoon main, maanga hai tumhein duniya ke liye’.
2) Pal Pal Dil Ke Paas: This track from ‘Blackmail’ is as beautiful as it is melodious and as romantic as it is nostalgic. Dharmendra and Rakhee are looking top-notch in probably the most touching song of their mega careers. Kishore Da effortlessly manages to touch the innermost chords of listener’s heart. My best line is –‘deewano ki ye baatein deewane jaante hain , jalne mein kya maza hai parwaane jaante hain’
3) Dil Kya Kare: Forget the whole world and feel the sheer romance in the crystal voice of Kishore Da in this magical song from the movie ‘Julie’. My most touching line from the song is – ‘daud raha hai saath lahoo ke pyaar tera nas nas mei, na kuch tere bas mein julie na kuch mere bas mei’
4) Chalte Chalte: Kishore Da sang with all his heart and soul, which is likely to be the reason why I know nothing about this movie except for this lovely melody. More you hear this track, more you believe that the void left by his demise can never be filled. My best line is –‘hum laut aayenge tum yunhi bulate rehna , kabhi alvida na kehna’
5) Humein Tumse Pyaar: One simply has to listen to understand the depth with which Kishore Da has rendered this song from the movie ‘Kudrat’. It has seas of romance and oceans of emotions filled in it. My fav line – ‘tumhei koi aur dekhe to jalta hai dil, badi mushkilo se fir sambhalta hai dil’
6) Pyaar Deewana Hota Hai: The sentimental and surreal singing by Kishore Kumar in this song from ‘Kati Patang’ takes you to a totally heavenly level. Rajesh Khanna glamorized piano playing with this heart touching number. My best line here is – ‘mana kare duniya lekin mere mehboob, wo challak jaata hai jo paimaana hota hai’
7) Mere Mehboob Qayamat: Talents like Kishore Kumar are born not made. This multi-faceted genius showcased his superb acting skills in many movies including ‘Mr X in Bombay’ from which this ever-lasting melody has been taken. My fav line here is –‘meri tarah tu aahein bhare, tu bhi kisise pyaar kare, aur rahe wo tujhse pare, tune oo sanam dhaaye hain sitam’
8) Chookar Mere Mann Ko: This song from the movie ‘Yaarana’ arrests you from the get go and has you gasping for more. The unparalleled and incomparable voice of Kishore Da conveys a plethora of genuine emotions. My best line is – ‘tu jo kahe jeevan bhar tere liye main gaoon, geet tere bolon pe likhta chala jaoon’
9) Mere Dil Mei Aaj: Yash Chopra’s movies are known for their songs and Rajesh Khanna-Kishore Kumar combo goes hand in hand. It can’t get bigger than this. My most touching line from this melodious ‘Daag’ number is – ‘Koi dhoondne bhi aaye to humein na dhoondh paaye, tu mujhe kahin chupa de, main tujhe kahin chupa doon’
10) Phoolon Ka Taaron Ka: There cannot be a better song than this track from ‘Hare Rama Hare Krishna’ on the brother-sister relationship. Always wonder how easily Kishore Da changes the tone of his vocals to suit the song setting. My best line – ‘Jeevan k dukho se yun darte nahin hain, aise bach ke sach se gujarte nahin hain, sukh ki chaah to dukh bhi sehna hai’
Kishore Kumar belongs to an extraordinary league of singers and his songs are mind and soul cleansers. It’s a strong personal recommendation to all those who have still not heard this golden voice which ruled India for decades, to sit back, relax and peacefully listen to all the songs highlighted above.
I can mention 100 more songs and the list will still go on and on but the space here is limited to share only ten of those experiences which take me to a completely different world every time I tune in to them.
Do mention your best Kishore Kumar songs in the comments section below!
With Ghanchakkar lined up for a release, stay tuned for the best songs of Emraan Hashmi.
Abhishek Sharma tweets @abhu_sharma