Zoya Akhtar’s Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara starring Hrithik Roshan, Katrina Kaif, Farhan Akhtar, Abhay Deol and Kalki is one of the most anticipated films of the year. And for good reason too. Zoya made her directorial debut with Luck By Chance, a film that didn’t do too well commercially but received tremendous critical acclaim.
Zindagi.. is one of India’s first big budget road trip movies and much like Luck By Chance, the film is likely to hold more appeal with the big city urban audience. There in lies the problem for Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara, for if it is not a well made film, the high costs would be tough to recover. So, is it worth the price of your ticket? Read on to find out.
Kabir (Abhay Deol) is engaged to Natasha (Kalki) and decides to go on a 3 week long holiday before he gets married. During college days he and his best pals Arjun (Hrithik Roshan) and Imraan (Farhan Akhtar) had planned a road trip where each of them would get to pick a ultimate sport of their choice and the other two would have to do it with him. Whether they like it or not. That holiday didn’t happen back then.
Now, years later, they decide to break free from routine work and visit Barcelona for their biggest adventure. A holiday that changes their lives forever!
Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara Review
Why ZNMD is a must watch
- Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara is a film that you connect with on a person level. Its easy to identify yourself with one of the characters because they are so real. Their feelings, emotions, banter, those nostalgic memories of the moments they spent together in the past are so easy to connect and identify yourself with. Kudos to Zoya Akhtar for avoiding melodrama and cinematic cliches.
- The performances and the chemistry that the three boys share is fantastic. Farhan Akhtar gets the best lines and he’s outstanding. Abhay Deol is a natural like always. Hrithik Roshan’s character has limited scope for histrionics here, still he does very well.
- Katrina’s performance is improving with each film and she looks stunning, yummy and gorgeous. We could go on and on about the way Katrina looks here. Her dressing is casual, cool and err.. lost for words! Watch out for her scenes with Hrithik, their chemistry together is rocking. And yes, the much talked about kissing scene is very much there!
- Zindagi.. is an absolute visual treat and this alone is worth the price of your ticket. Indians are likely to flock Barcelona in the coming months for a Spanish holiday.
- Farhan’s dialogues are superb. In fact, the actor-director has smartly reserved the best lines for himself.
- Music is effective and goes well with the film. Senorita lives with you long after the credits roll.
- Kalki and Naseeruddin Shah in a special appearance are good too.
- An utterly deserving mention for the film’s cinematographer (Carlos Catalan) for capturing Spain so beautifully and the costume designer (Arjun Bhasin) for Katrina’s clothes.
Reasons to skip Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara
- Unfortunately the pace is slow and the length (2 hours 30 mins runtime) is long. This could go against the film as urban audiences these days, don’t really have the patience to watch films in excess of 2 hours.
- The editing could have been better, especially the second half where the film begins to drag a bit.
Overall, we loved Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara. Its a light hearted slice-of-life film that is meant to be watched and enjoyed with a tad bit of patience. When utterly non-deserving masala flicks are raking in the moolah at the box office, well-made films like this deserve much better.
Do watch it this weekend and post your reviews below in the comments section. Long or short, do tell us what you think of the movie. Your views are important to us.Rating: Must watch on the big screen!