As promised, here is the update to the Top Actors in Bollywood, after the release of Akshay Kumar’s Airlift which is likely to be his second highest grosser of all time. The list has indeed changed, with Akshay improving his ranking.
The next update will be after the release of Sidharth Malhotra’s Kapoor and Sons on March 18.
- The list would be based on the net box office collections of an actor’s last five movies. For younger actors, the minimum number of films is 3.
- Only lead roles would be considered. Cameos, special appearances and guest appearances won’t be taken under consideration.
- Dated movies that released before 2007 have not been considered.
- Only domestic box office collections is being taken into account. Collections from all regional versions have been taken into considering as this list is for the top actors in India and regional language releases affect Hindi business in their respective states. For example, Tamil version will affect business of Hindi version in Tamilnadu / Kerala circuit.
Top Actors In Bollywood 2016
Rank 1 Aamir Khan: The combined collections of Aamir Khan’s last 5 films has crossed the 1000 crore mark, the first actor ever to do so. He has maintained a staggering 200 crore plus average for the last 5 films, even though Talaash under-performed at the box office. There is very little to choose between the Top 2 actors in the industry today, with both equally deserving to top the ranking.
- PK – 341 cr
- Dhoom 3 – 285 cr
- Talaash – 93 cr
- 3 Idiots – 202 cr
- Ghajini – 116 cr
- Next film – Dangal (also read: Aamir Khan’s Upcoming Movies List)
- Total – 1037 crore (Average per film: 207.4 cr)
Rank 2 Salman Khan: The megastar has become the second actor whose last films have collected Rs 1000 crore or more at the domestic box office. Like Aamir, Salman also averages 200 crore or more per film. Sultan would have to collect Rs 159 crore or more, for him to top the ranking once again. With a solo release, Salman topping the ranking would have been a certainty, but with Raees also scheduled to release on the same day, it remains to be seen how well the two films perform.
- Prem Ratan Dhan Payo – 213 cr
- Bajrangi Bhaijaan – 321 cr
- Kick – 233 cr
- Jai Ho – 112 cr
- Dabangg 2 – 154 cr
- Next film – Sultan (Eid)
- Total – 1033 crore (Average per film: 206.6 cr)
Rank 3. Shah Rukh Khan was ranked at No 2 before the release of Happy New Year, he has now come down to the 3rd spot in the domestic (India) ranking. For Shahrukh to beat Aamir, Fan would have to collect Rs 336 crore in India. If both Fan and Raees, which are touted to his return to ‘content-driven’ films, perform well, Shah Rukh could challenge Aamir Khan. The combined collections of Fan and Raees has to be Rs 457 crore or more i.e both films have to cross the 200 crore mark, or one has to do 300 crore plus business. Shah Rukh has probably been a little unlucky too, Dilwale and Jab Tak Hai Jaan both clashed with big films. Chennai Express was also affected to a certain extent by the release of Once Upon A Time In Mumbaai Dobaara on its 7th day. Only Don 2 and Happy New Year had a free and open run. For Shah Rukh, it would be about releasing one good film at the right time.
- Dilwale – 148 cr
- Happy New Year – 204 cr
- Chennai Express – 227 crore
- Jab Tak Hai Jaan – 121 cr
- Don 2 – 112 cr
- Next film – Fan (April 15)
- Total – 812 crore (Average per film: 162.4 cr)
Rank 4 Hrithik Roshan. The release of Bang Bang temporarily took Hrithik ahead of SRK at the domestic box office, but before Bang Bang finished its run, Happy New Year had already released in theatres. Hrithik’s average of 134 cr is fantastic, comparable to the Khans even though he doesn’t always get to release his films during Eid, Diwali or Christmas. To elaborate a little more on this, out of the last 5 films, all SRK films have released during one of the three festivals, except Jai Ho all Salman films have released during the three most lucrative periods in the industry and Aamir Khan too has preferred to release his films during Christmas (all except Talaash). Hrithik got just one Diwali release for Krrish 3 and made the most of it. His next release is Ashutosh Gowariker’s Mohenjo Daro (August 2016) and Sanjay Gupta’s Kaabil could also release later this year. Till then, Hrithik will hold on the 4th spot. Mohenjo Daro releases after Sultan, Fan and Raees, so calculations as to how much it needs to collect, cannot be made at this point in time. He can beat Aamir though and for that, Mohenjo Daro has to collect Rs 398 crore or more!!
- Bang Bang – 181 cr
- Krrish 3 – 244 cr
- Agneepath – 122 cr
- Zindagi Naa Milegi Dobara – 93 cr
- Guzaarish – 32 cr
- Next film – Mohenjo Daro (August 12)
- Total – 672 cr (Average per film: 134.4 cr)
Rank 5 Ranveer Singh: One film called Bajirao Mastani has changed Ranveer Singh’s life. From a career that appeared to be faltering after the release of Kill Dil, Ranveer has risen from Rank 10 to the Top 5, not only beating stalwarts like Akshay Kumar and Ajay Devgn, but also overtaking Varun Dhawan. His next film is a biggie too, Aditya Chopra’s Befikre. Ranveer is also the youngest star to make it to the Top 5, probably the first after Hrithik Roshan.
- Bajirao Mastani – 187 cr
- Dil Dhadakne Do – 77 cr
- Kill Dil – 32 cr
- Gunday – 78 cr
- Ram Leela – 115 cr
- Next film – Befikre (December 9)
- Total Collections – 489 cr (Average per film: 97.8 cr)
Rank 6 Akshay Kumar: Airlift has lifted Akshay Kumar from the 8th to the 6th spot and with a big film like Housefull 3 scheduled to release during the Post-IPL period, Akshay is all set to make a comeback to the Top 5. Housefull 3 has to collect 108 crore or more for Akshay to beat Ranveer and a highly unrealistic Rs 290 crore for Akshay to surpass Hrithik.
- Airlift – 125 crore
- Singh Is Bling – 88 crore
- Brothers – 83 crore
- Gabbar Is Back – 86 crore
- Baby – 96 crore
- Next film – Housefull 3 (June 3)
- Total Collections: 478 cr (Average per film: 95.6 cr)
Rank 7 Ranbir Kapoor: His career was at an all-time high after the success of films like ‘Rockstar’, ‘Barfi’ and ‘Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani’, but the last couple of years have been disastrous for Ranbir Kapoor as ‘Besharam’ tanked after a good opening day and ‘Bombay Velvet’ couldn’t even manage a face-saving opening at the box office. Tamasha looked like a winner because it was an Imtiaz Ali film starring Deepika Padukone as the female lead, even that has failed. Nothing seems to be working for Ranbir. His next release is Jagga Jasoos, a much-delayed film that he has co-produced. The big question is, will it release before ‘Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’? Will the Karan Johar film, which is scheduled to release with ‘Shivaay’ during Diwali, give him his much-needed hit?
- Tamasha – 66 crore
- Bombay Velvet – 24 crore
- Besharam – 57 crore
- Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani – 188 crore
- Barfi! – 106 cr
- Next film – Jagga Jasoos (June 3)
- Total – 441 cr (Average per film: 88.2 cr)
Rank 8 Varun Dhawan: Another young actor who is not only appearing in 2-3 movies every year, but has made a name for himself in just 3 years. The trade loves him too – all his films have opened well at the box office, none have failed and his solo-lead film ABCD 2 was his first 100 crore grosser. What we like about Varun is his choice of films and the effort that he puts into it, right from the pre-production stage to marketing, he puts in a lot of effort. And hard work so far, has not gone unrewarded.
- Dilwale – 148 cr
- ABCD 2 – 105 cr
- Badlapur – 52 cr
- Humpty Sharma Ki Dulhania – 77 cr
- Main Tera Hero – 54 cr
- Next film – Dishoom (July 29)
- Total Collections – 436 cr (Average per film: 87.2 cr)
Rank 9 Ajay Devgn: Drishyam did fairly well at the box office, but business was affected by Bajrangi Bhaijaan and Baahubali. When the film was gaining momentum, Brothers released and made a huge dent on the business of Drishyam. It would have probably collected a lot more than it did, had the release been timed better. 3 of his last 5 films have failed, Singham Returns was his biggest grosser. He has big films in the form of Shivaay, Baadshaho and Sons Of Sardaar in the next 2 years. Ajay is making a shift from medium budget to big budget films, if it clicks, he has every chance of making it to the Top 5.
- Drishyam – 73 cr
- Action Jackson – 57 cr
- Singham Returns – 140 cr
- Satyagraha – 58 cr
- Himmatwala – 46 cr
- Next film – Shivaay (Diwali)
- Total: 374 cr (Average per film: 74.8 cr)
Rank 10 Sidharth Malhotra: There is very little to choose between Sidharth and Ajay at this point in time. But the failure of ‘Brothers’ has hurt Sidharth Malhotra. He has Dharma’s ‘Kapoor and Sons’ lined up for release in March this year.
- Brothers – 83 cr
- Ek Villain – 103 cr
- Hasee Toh Phasee – 35 cr
- Student Of The Year – 70 cr
- Next film – Kapoor and Sons (March 18)
- Total Collections – 291 cr (Average per film: 72.75 cr)
Rank 11 Farhan Akhtar: His popularity with the multiplex audience in cities is under-rated. His solo film ‘Bhaag Milkha Bhaag’ not only took a good opening at the box office, but went on to collect more than Rs 100 crore. It also won Farhan his first Filmfare Best Actor award.
- Wazir – 40 cr
- Shaadi Ke Side Effects – 38 cr
- Bhaag Milkha Bhaag – 104 cr
- Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara – 93 cr
- Karthik Calling Karthik – 27 cr
- Next Film – Rock On 2 (November 11)
- Total Collections – 302 cr (Average per film: 60.4 cr)
Rank 12 Arjun Kapoor: The poor performance of Tevar has resulted in Arjun Kapoor dropping one spot down the list to No 13. His next film is ‘Ki and Ka’, also starring Kareena Kapoor. Reports for the R Balki film are good.
- Tevar – 40 cr
- Finding Fanny – 36 cr
- 2 States – 102 cr
- Gunday – 78 cr
- Aurangzeb – 23 cr
- Next film – Ki and Ka (April 1)
- Total Collections – 279 cr (Average per film: 55.8 cr)
Rank 13 Saif Ali Khan: Phantom didn’t work even though it was directed by Kabir Khan and Happy Ending was one of the biggest disasters of 2014. Saif is currently going through the worst phase of his career.
- Phantom – 53 cr
- Happy Ending – 22 cr
- Humshakals – 63 cr
- Bullet Raja- 36 cr
- Race 2 – 102 cr
- Next film – Rangoon (September 30)
- Total – 276 cr (Average per film: 55.2 cr)
Rank 14 Shahid Kapoor: Just when Shahid Kapoor’s career was taking a upward turn with films like R.. Rajkumar and Haider, his much-awaited film ‘Shaandaar’ turned out to be one of the biggest disappointments of 2015. It opened well, but wrapped up with lifetime collections of less than 45 crore. With the trade losing both hope and patience in a extremely talented actor like Shahid, he awaits the release of Udta Punjab. What does he need to do, to get that one film that will turn things around for him? A film like Bajirao Mastani or even a ABCD 2, for example. He doesn’t lack in the talent department, but actors who made their debuts nearly a decade after him, have raced past him in no time at all.
- Shaandaar – 43 cr
- Haider – 58 cr
- R.. Rajkumar – 65 cr
- Phata Poster Nikhla Hero – 39 cr
- Teri Meri Kahaani – 29 cr
- Next film – Udta Punjab (June 11)
- Total Collections – 234 cr (Average per film: 46.8 cr)
Rank 15 Emraan Hashmi: Emraan’s career is at an all-time low. None of his last 5 films have even managed to cross the 40 crore mark. The genre that seems to be working today is biopics and Emraan will be seen in a film based on controversial cricketer Mohammad Azharuddin.
- Hamari Adhuri Kahani – 38 cr
- Mr X – 25 cr
- Ungli – 21 cr
- Raja Natwarlal – 27 cr
- Ghanchakkar – 39 cr
- Next film – Azhar biopic (May 13)
- Total collections – 150 cr (Average per film: 30 cr)