The bigger the hype, higher the expectations. With every Aamir Khan, Hrithik Roshan, Shahrukh Khan, Akshay Kumar film, comes huge expectations. A superstar not just has to perform well, but also has the added responsibility of ensuring the film is well-made.
So what happens when a biggie tanks? Lets take Akshay for example. Not too long ago after Singh Is King, Akshay was literally on top of the world with innumerable hits. Chandni Chowk to China flopped, 8 x 10 Tasveer followed and now its make or break time with Kambakkht Ishq.
Lets have a look at some of the biggest flops in recent times. Films that were expected to do well at the box-office but didn’t; resulting in huge losses for producers and distributors.
Starting with Number 10..
10) Ram Gopal Varma Ki Aag – What a disaster! Remaking Sholay is no joke, but the film was. There was nothing in Aag that’s worth a mention. But as the saying goes, form is temporary, talent is permanent; RGV bounced back with the well-made Sarkar Raj. His upcoming film, Rakta Charitra, with Vivek Oberoi looks very promising.
9) Love Story 2050 – This film’s first poster looked similar to Kaho Na Pyar Hai, its lead actor looked, danced and acted like Hrithik Roshan. And those were the only reasons for any sort of curiosity around this so called science fiction movie. Arguably Priyanka Chopra’s worst performance ever and inarguably one of the worst films of 2008.
8) 8 x 10 Tasveer – Akshay Kumar it seemed was stuck in comic roles in movies that lacked substance. Tasveer directed by Nagesh Kukunoor was expected to shut most critics, but after watching the film, you wonder if its actually from the director of classics like Iqbal and Dor.
7) Yuvvraaj – Isn’t as bad as some of the other films in this list, but with a huge star cast, this big budget film failed to even register a decent intial at the box-office. Any future for Subhash Ghai or his films? We doubt!
6) Karzzz – The switch from music direction and singing to full-time acting proved to be a costly mistake for Himesh Reshammiya. From a highly talented music composer to a super-hit singer, Himesh’s career was going great, until he made the mistake of acting. Being a non actor, which was evident right from his very first film, it was just a matter of time. The failure of Karzzz put Himesh out of sight and hence out of mind. Remember those days when Himesh ruled television?
5) Tashan – All style, zero content. The dispute between Yashraj Films and Multiplexes sealed the fate of Yashraj’s worst film since Jhoom Barabar Jhoom. Being a multistarrer, Tashan’s failure didn’t affect Akshay Kumar.
4) Jhoom Barabar Jhoom – Still wonder how I managed to sit through this film. It was one heck of a terrible watch. Has to be Bachchan Sr’s worst cameo.
3) Saawariya – A Sanjay Leela Bhansali film after Black and the debut of two star-kids, Ranbir Kapoor and Sonam Kapoor, resulted in huge pre-release hype. The film clashed with Shahrukh Khan’s Om Shanti Om on Diwali and while Team OSO celebrated, Team Saawariya wept through the festive season.
2) Chandni Chowk To China – This film was expected to match, if not break, the collections of Ghajini. But surprisingly the box-office opening (70%) wasn’t upto expectations. The film was later thrashed by the critics and rejected by the audience in its first weekend.
1) Drona – In one of the biggest disasters ever witnessed, Abhishek Bachchan tried to do a Hrithik Roshan and fell flat on his face. It has to be one of the worst performance as a superhero ever by any actor. The poorly directed film, lost more than 40 crores of its investment. Eros International is yet to recover from the epic disaster.
Agree with the list? Enjoyed watching any film mentioned above? Or anything related to the biggest disasters in Bollywood… Post your comments below.