Okay, several discussions in the comments sections here and quite a few other websites on star astrologer Niraj Manchanda’s predictions.
If you go by what he says, there is no real need to bother with a Script – Story – Direction – Music, all you need to do is, get the names of the Actor – Producer – Movie right, and the movie is a box office blockbuster. As easy as that.
Without getting too critical, lets get straight down to reviewing some of his predictions from the year that has gone by.
Manchanda’s prediction followed by our comment.
- “Harman Baweja will be appreciated in ‘Victory’” – WRONG. Harman was critically thrashed, the viewers didn’t like his performance either
- “Abhishek will be loved in ‘Delhi 6’” – WRONG. Far from loved, Delhi 6 did nothing for Abhishek.
- “Ranbir Kapoor’s first hit movie will be ‘Rajniti’” – WRONG. Ranbir’s first clean hit was Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani. Rajniti didn’t even release in 2009.
- “Apart from these (Rajniti, Delhi 6, Victory) all films of Harman, Ranbir and Abhishek will not work at the box office” – WRONG. Harman and Abhishek didn’t have any other release in 2009, Wake Up Sid and Ajab Prem Ki did well for Ranbir.
- “SRK has two films ‘Billoo Barber’ and ‘My Name Is Khan’, both films will get him great money” – WRONG. Billu was a flop, although SRK made some money out of it, nothing like great money though. My Name Is Khan didn’t release.
- “It’s a money making year for SRK as 2009…” – WRONG. We do not know how much money SRK made, but he himself said, he didn’t make much money in 2009 (in an interview). Overall it hasn’t been too great a year for him, KKR were last at IPL, Billu flopped, shoulder surgery and no solo release too last year.
- “Salman Khan is not going through good phase, many films of his bombed in 2008 at the box office, many more will in 2009” – RIGHT and WRONG. Wanted did great business, while London Dreams wasn’t really a bomb.. Main Aur Mrs Khanna bombed. Flops didn’t affect Salman at all, there is enough hype for Veer.
- “Katrina’s flops have begin from ‘Yuvvraaj’ and she will have many more in 2009” – WRONG. Katrina had a very successful year were none of her films flopped. New York and Ajab Prem Ki did great business. Blue (special appearance) and De Dana Dan did average business.
- “Kareena Kapoor is number 3. In 2009 she will have 2 hit movies namely ‘3 Idiots’ and ‘Kambakkth Ishq’ but will not get great credit for these films like she got for ‘Jab We Met’..” – RIGHT and WRONG. Kambakht Ishq isn’t considered a hit film and 3 Idiots while no Jab We Met, will be one of the most prominent films in her filmography.
- “2009 belongs to Aamir Khan” – RIGHT. His only ‘completely right’ prediction for last year. Not too hard a prediction though, don’t you think?
- “Hrithik Roshan’s Kites will have a flying opening” – WRONG. Kites didn’t release in 2009, he should have predicted this.. no?
So out of 11 predicts – 7 of them were wrong, 3 were partially right partially wrong and 1 completely right.
Shouldn’t producers, directors and stars rather concentrate on getting the various aspects of film-making right rather than waste money on numerical astrologers? Some food for thought.
No, we aren’t attempting to do a Raj Kumar Hirani here, just pointing out simple facts. Drop in your comments below, we’d love to know what you think.
If you liked the article above, why not subscribe to our e-mail newsletters? Its free and you get all the updates.