Neerja has become the 2nd highest all time grosser for the month of February, surpassing the lifetime business of Shah Rukh Khan’s 2010 film ‘My Name Is Khan’. Yash Raj Films’ Gunday will remain the highest grosser of the month.
January: Airlift became the highest grosser of January, beating the collections of Agneepath and Jai Ho.
- Airlift (128 cr) – Akshay Kumar
- Agneepath (122 cr) – Hrithik Roshan
- Jai Ho (112 cr) – Salman Khan
February: Ghayal Once Again, Sanam Re and Fitoor all failed at the box office, but Sonam Kapoor’s Neerja not only went on to become the 2nd highest grosser of the year, but has also become the 2nd highest February grosser of all time.
- Gunday (78 cr) – Ranveer Singh and Arjun Kapoor
- Neerja (73 cr) – Sonam Kapoor
- My Name Is Khan (73 cr) – Shahrukh Khan
March: Jai Gangaajal has failed. All eyes will now be on Kapoor & Sons and Rocky Handsome. The ongoing T20 world cup will affect business in the second half of the month, but with positive reviews, it remains to be seen if Kapoor & Sons can enter the all-time Top 3.
- Race (63 cr) – Saif Ali Khan
- Queen (62 cr) – Kangana Ranaut
- Kahaani (59 cr) – Vidya Balan
April: Shah Rukh Khan is the top contender to take the top spot this month. His first non-festive release since My Name Is Khan, Maneesh Sharma’s Fan, will release on April 15. It’s ‘expected’ to easily top the collections of Housefull 2. The other contenders are Ki & Ka and Baaghi.
- Housefull 2 (116 cr) – Akshay Kumar and John Abraham
- 2 States (102 cr) – Arjun Kapoor
- Aashiqui 2 (81 cr) – Aditya Roy Kapoor
May: Last year, Tanu Weds Manu Returns did the unthinkable by grossing Rs 151 crore at the domestic box office and Akshay Kumar’s Gabbar Is Back took the third spot. This year, the target for films like Mirziya, Azhar biopic and Sarabjit would be Gabbar Is Back. The Top 2 films could prove to be out of reach.
- Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani (189 cr) – Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns (151 cr) – Kangana Ranaut
- Gabbar Is Back (87 cr) – Akshay Kumar
June: ABCD 2 fell short this year, but 2016 has biggies lined up in June. The biggest of them all is Akshay Kumar’s Housefull 3, which releases during the Post-IPL period. The other films are Jagga Jasoos and Udta Punjab.
- Rowdy Rathore (134 cr) – Akshay Kumar
- Ready (121 cr) – Salman Khan
- Holiday (113 cr) – Akshay Kumar
July: It will be Shah Rukh Khan vs Salman Khan in July this year – i.e if the clash between Raees and Sultan isn’t averted. The other big release is Varun and John’s Dishoom. Which film will make it to the Top 3? Tell us in the comments!
- Bajrangi Bhaijaan (321 cr) – Salman Khan
- Kick (233 cr) – Salman Khan
- Baahubali (116 cr) – Prabhas, Rana Daggubati
August: Brothers failed last year, but 2016 marks the return of Hrithik Roshan in Mohenjo Daro, which is set to clash against Akshay’s third release of 2016 – Rustom. We also have Tiger Shroff’s ‘A Flying Jatt’ lined up for release.
- Chennai Express (227 cr) – Shahrukh Khan
- Ek Tha Tiger (199 cr) – Salman Khan
- Bodyguard (145 cr) – Salman Khan
September: MS Dhoni biopic, Baar Baar Dekho and Rangoon are the big releases of September. The target will be crossing the 100 crore mark to beat Grand Masti.
- Dabangg (140 cr) – Salman
- Barfi! (106 cr) – Ranbir Kapoor
- Grand Masti (100 cr) – Ritesh Deshmukh and Vivek Oberoi
October: The month of Diwali has biggies in the form of Half Girlfriend, Ae Dil Hai Mushkil and Shivaay. The target will be SRK’s Ra One / Happy New Year and Hrithik’s Bang Bang.
- Happy New Year (204 cr) – Shahrukh Khan
- Bang Bang (181 cr) – Hrithik Roshan
- Ra.One (125 cr) – Shahrukh Khan
November: There will be more films that will be announced for November, but currently the film that has been announced is Rock On 2.
- Krrish 3 (244 cr) – Hrithik Roshan
- Prem Ratan Dhan Payo (213 cr) – Salman Khan
- Jab Tak Hai Jaan (120 cr) – Shahrukh Khan
December: The Christmas weekend has been dominated by Aamir Khan over the years. Stars like Akshay Kumar (Tees Maar Khan), Shahrukh Khan (Don 2) and Salman Khan (Dabangg 2) have tried their luck, but Aamir is in a league of his own in December. Shah Rukh tried his luck once again, but failed with Dilwale. Ranveer’s Bajirao Mastani did much better, but failed to beat 3 Idiots. It’ll be Aamir vs Aamir once again this year, as he would be targeting the record of Dhoom 3 at the very least. But if there is one man in the industry, who you would place your bet on beating the total of PK, it would be Aamir himself. Strong content, of course, will be the key.
- PK (340 cr) – Aamir Khan
- Dhoom 3 (285 cr) – Aamir Khan
- 3 Idiots (202 cr) – Aamir Khan
- Jan – Akshay Kumar
- Feb – Ranveer and Arjun
- Mar – Saif Ali Khan
- Apr – Akshay Kumar
- May – Ranbir Kapoor
- Jun – Akshay Kumar
- Jul – Salman Khan
- Aug – Shahrukh Khan
- Sep – Salman Khan
- Oct – Shahrukh Khan
- Nov – Hrithik Roshan
- Dec – Aamir Khan
Akshay has three highest grossers of the month, Salman and SRK have two highest grossers of the month. Ranbir, Aamir, Ranveer, Arjun and Saif have one each.
Article idea and Credit: Saksham Duggal