Munna Michael is the big release this week and it comes at a time when the industry is desperately in need of a box office hit. In recent times, no film has managed to generate interest amongst the audience. The first trailer of Mubarakan did not get a good response, Jab Harry Met Sejal doesn’t even have a trailer yet even though the film releases in less than 15 days from today and the buzz around Toilet Ek Prem Katha has also died down.
Excitement around films is missing in the post-Bahubali era, with most big films like Tubelight and Jagga Jasoos failing to excite the audience.
Munna Michael had a fairly good trailer, but the songs and promos that have followed have failed to sustain interest around the film – even though it releases at a time when the masses haven’t had any film that they’d like to watch in theatres, after the humongous success of ‘Bahubali 2: The Conclusion’.
Factors in favour of Munna Michael:
- The successful actor-director combo of Tiger and Sabbir Khan return with their third film. Their last two films, Heropanti and Baaghi, were successful at the box office.
- Tiger yet again is hoping to cash-in on his strength i.e action.
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui hasn’t been used well, but he still adds value to such films.
Factors against Munna Michael:
- Heropanti and Baaghi had terrific music, but the Munna Michael album hasn’t caught on.
- The trailer received a favourable response, but the rest of the campaign has been dull with the emphasis being more on dance and the love angle – more than action and the Tiger-Nawaz angle.
- The leading lady, Nidhhi Agerwal, hasn’t managed to make an impression so far.
IndicineFBO: We expect Munna Michael to collect Rs 8.2 crore on its opening day at the box office.
|Lucknow Central||1.8||-||1||15 Sep|
|Haseena Parkar||1.0||-||1||22 Sep|
|Judwaa 2||15.5||-||8||28 Sep|
|Ok Jaanu||5.6||4.08||2||13 Jan|
|Jolly LLB 2||14.25||13.2||6||10 Feb|
|Commando 2||4.0||4.25||2||3 Feb|
|Begum Jaan||3.1||3.94||3||14 Apr|
|Baahubali 2||33||41||10||28 Apr|
|Sarkar 3||3.0||2.0||2||12 May|
|Meri Pyaari Bindu||2.7||1.75||2||12 May|
|Half Girlfriend||9.2||10.27||6||19 May|
|Guest In London||1.7||1.5||2||7 Jul|
|Jagga Jasoos||8.8||8.57||4||14 Jul|
|Munna Michael||8.2||6.65||3||21 Jul|
|Jab Harry Met Sejal||17.0||15.25||6||4 Aug|
|Toilet: EPK||13.0||13.1||6||11 Aug|
|Bareilly Ki Barfi||2.1||2.4||2||18 Aug|
|Babumoshai Bandookbaaz||2.0||2.05||1||25 Aug|
|A Gentleman||5.7*||4.04*||2||25 Aug|
|Shubh Mangal Saavdhan||2.2||-||2||1 Sep|